Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst restaurant in UCD?

• 28-02-2003 9:35am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Okay, everyone's always giving out about food on campus, so here's the place to give the thumbs down to the most awful UCD restaurant:

What restaurant do you hate the most? 9 votes

The Main Restaurant
    11% 1 vote
    'Mick Donnells' aka Cafe Brava
    11% 1 vote
    22% 2 votes
    The Science Restaurant
    11% 1 vote
    Hilpers
    33% 3 votes
    Perk
    11% 1 vote
    The Grind
    0% 0 votes
    Student Bar Food
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i'm sure i'm not the only one who's appaled at the huge leap in prices that's happened in hilpers (finnegans break) this week.

so, they've stuck in a couple of new coffee machines, and some new posters (which, undoubtedly, they'll be getting advertising revenue from!) and the price has gone up, without any improvement in quality of product or service. in some cases (filter coffee, for a start) the quality has gone down. i'm not sure, but the portion sizes seem smaller to me, as well. it certainly has for the large coffee, which used to be roughy 50% less expensive for what looks like 50% more coffee. it's bollix!

i'm sick to death of having to pay extortionate prices for this unpalatable muck. i saw some posters up around the place asking for a boycott of hilpers on environmental grounds (new styrofoam cups), but there needs to be a better organised total boycott in protest at the disgusting food and coffee and ridiculously expensive prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well here my two cents, used to eat in the main restaurant for nearly all of first year and i felt queasy after eatting there a lot of the days? so that probably gets my vote though i think the refurbishment has been nice and its better now that its not as busy. i mainly eat in the science canteen coz i like the chicked burgers but i think hilpers is a rip off. The grind is good for a decent sandwich though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    i'm sure i'm not the only one who's appaled at the huge leap in prices that's happened in hilpers (finnegans break) this week.

so, they've stuck in a couple of new coffee machines, and some new posters (which, undoubtedly, they'll be getting advertising revenue from!) and the price has gone up, without any improvement in quality of product or service.
    tell me more. i havent been in there in YEARS. well, a year. whenever i DO go out to UCD, I do be goin to the Trib office and I only go to Perk or 911.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used to eat quite a bit in the Main Restaurant, cos they do veggie meals, and it's better than what I was cooking for myself at the time :p but I don't go there much anymore.

I used to spend a lot of time idling in the Science restaurant, before i discovered boards and didn't have a life anymore ;)

The grind pwns. Best rolls/wraps on campus.

911 is good if the grind is too packed.

I don't really go to any of the others, but that Mick Donnell's place seems to be fairly muck, so it gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

dada, basically, hilpers seems to have become soem sort of java republic franchise. the prices have rocketed, the standard hasn't improved, in some cases it's worse - for example- there used to be a "large coffee" which was about the size of a small to medium coke in mcd's or bk- huge lovely caffiene burst for only 1.50, now, the so-called "large coffee" is much smaller- about the size of an ordinary coffee in most cafes in the city centre, and costs 1.95!! these are not a student-friendly prices!!!

i'm not entirely sure if that's right, but that's what it looks like to me. perhaps your buddies in the trib might be able to fill you in more clearly.

anyway, re the others on campus- the main restaurant isn't the best, but it seems to serve its purpose. i don't go there a lot, but when i do it's quite hit and miss. the brekkie baps are nyom, but upstairs is usually not great!
    911 is an absolute health hazard. the staff really scare me- i've seen them do appaling things with chicken fillet before (apparently it makes a good frisbee) i'm never quite sure if their hands are clean as they're wodging fillings into my sangwich.
    the grind is brilliant- the food's nice, relatively cheap, and even if there's a queue, it moves quickly. obriens is just as good, food-wise, but it's such a long trek from the arts block to the sports building (and there's jocks!!)
    perk seems ok, if a little expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

i really gotta spend less time hanging out at hilpers, but the seats are so squishy and comfy, and there's always someone i know there, so you just get sucked in to loafing, and it's a downward spiral from there!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

In general, food on campus sucks. The food in the main restaurant or in the science 'restaurant' - you wouldn't know what it was half the time. We had fun last week trying to work out what we were eating in the science restaurant. still dont know...
    I like perk. Anywhere that has the yummy jumbo black coffee for €1.50 is fine by me....required for those nasty 9am lecture deelys. The muffins are yummy too. 911? Just give me the donuts, forget everything else. The rolls are nasty. i'm not a big fan of the grind, the queues are too big and tbh O'Briens do a nicer roll for what you pay. Hilpers? Dont get me started. Pay ridiculously inflated prices to sit with a load of D4 f*ckwits isnt exactly my idea of fun. They do have the microwaves though. I couldnt be arsed going to mick donells cos I hate chips and burgers and that sort of thing.

In short, we need somewhere new good and cheap here!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Quotes from Hilpers: "Oh my god loike, Daddy roysh has loike bought me a new Widescreen Television from loike Brown Thomas on his Gold Card and ****........"

I'd almost forgotten about Perk, i haven't been there since before christmas. Food's great although it does sometimes attract the D4's as well.

Student bar food tho' is seriously yummy. I couldn't resist a second helping of chips today!! :D

Advertisement