Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living/working in UK

• 28-02-2003 2:00pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Just a quick few questions on working in IT sector in UK.

What sort of salary do you think you should expect to not be living in the say London or the North of England (Liverpool, Manchester)

Do you honestly have a better standard of living over there?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

standard of living is higher, and cost of living is lower.
    pay up north is lower than down south, but then again, so is cost of living.
    so to be fair, its much of a muchness and it really depends on whether you want to be a filthy northern monkey, or a sophisticated southern belle (like me:))

guildford is very nice by the way.

what sort of IT work do you do?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Developer, VB, SQL, ASP, Clarify, bit of .NET - not bothered where I live tbh prefer either London or Manch as I have family living in both

Originally posted by yop
    Developer, VB, SQL, ASP, Clarify, bit of .NET - not bothered where I live tbh prefer either London or Manch as I have family living in both

in that case, go where the jobs are.
    sounds silly, but it is practical advice!

you probably want to go to manchester to watch that silly ffotball team you support :) but to be honest, you might prefer london, and the opportunities are better there, and the pay certainly is.

first off, why not just apply azccross the board to job vacancies and if you get a job, move near the job, where ever it may end up being?

on a whole, and im not being anti irish or anything, but i have to admit i prefer to live in england now than i did in ireland. life is better, its cheaper, i find that the people tend to be nicer too to be honest. theres no class bull****, and the one thing that i really dont miss are the scumbags that are everywhere in ireland. no matter where you go, you will find your stereo typical scumbag. you just dont get it in england. i think most people who have moved over here that i know would rather live here now that back in ireland.

but each to his own, and someday i would like to go back to ireland, but not until its got a decent government (at least 10 years) theres a decent underground (at least 15 years) there are some decent jobs, and the irish as a whole become less racist (god knows when!)

anyway, good luck in your search, and if you need a hand, drop me a mail

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

anyway, good luck in your search, and if you need a hand, drop me a mail

Well as they say, "if you know someone who wants someone"

Let me know.

Thx v much

if i hear of anyone looking for a developer i will let you know.

• Advertisement

much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

I worked in London for 5 months... fekcin hated it, no humour sitting in a chicken box churning out code... no thanks never again

paddy

Originally posted by paddyc
    I worked in London for 5 months... fekcin hated it, no humour sitting in a chicken box churning out code... no thanks never again

paddy

tbh, it sounds like the job you hated :)

Ty: Permanent
    Po: Oracle8/VB6/SQL Server Analyst Consultant - Oil & Gas Explor
    Sk: Graduate with Oracle 8/8i or 9, PLSQL, SQL, VB6, COM, ODBC, SQL
    Server 7/2000, Stored procedures, Triggers, Database design,
    Designer 2000 and Crystal Reports are the required skills. You must
    have had at least 5 years development experience of full life cycle
    projects using a methodology and be comfortable in a client facing
    role with some experience of working on client sites in the oil &
    gas Exploration business. The company's clients are giants of the
    Oil & Gas Industry so credibility is essential and the Data &
    Information Systems Consulting group is planned to grow rapidly. The
    tools you develop are essential to making huge savings for these
    companies (cost estimation, economic modelling, portfolio analysis &
    risk analysis) and the projects are highly varied. Good team
    environment with lots of autonomy. Promotion encouraged!.
    Lo: Surrey, A3
    St: 01/05/03 (subject To References)
    Du: Company will not sponsor work permits
    Ra: 35k-45k + Benefits + Travel
    Ag: Elite Computer Staff
    Co: Neville James
    Te: 0208 329 3765
    Fa: 0208 942 0099
    Em: mailto:njames@elite-cs.co.uk
    Ww: http://www.jobserve.com/elite/
    Re: JSRV_NAJ-SLICK5023
    Po: 11/03/2003 11:56:04

now mr yop, dont say i dont ever do anything for you!

Your a gent, thanks. Will fire in the CV to them

• Advertisement
Advertisement