Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-Democracy

Options
  • 28-02-2003 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

In Ireland, every 4 years we vote in a number of TD's to parliament to represent us

The reason the system worlkss like this is becaue it would be impossible for pople to vote on every bill that is passed logistically.

That is it was, is it not feasible to have a voting sysem on the intetrnet, where people choose and option of yes or not o a proposed bill on a website. Legal voters could contribute to the actaul passing of a bill. Even if it is only done for prominent billws, it would put power more into the hands of the people rather than Having to trust TD's with practrically everything.

Decentralliising power is a good thing imo.

I haven't developed my point but i am sure many of you get the Jist of it.

I think it is a good idea that could be implemented in the future. Worth a discussion methinks:P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

eVoting is a wonderful concept, but tricky to implement because of the difficulties of identity assurance and the dangers of identity theft. There are also security and rigging issues. But never mind all that, here's some real examples of network voting to get you started:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=85298

Note that I'm not saying eVoting is inherently bad, just that it needs very careful thought and consideration before implementation, and implementation needs to hit five nines reliability before it goes live.

Also, the above is a very good reason why we should be questioning electronic polling now, and not next year or two years after that. We should be seeking proof of concept, documentation, APIs, the whole shooting match.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Aye I suppose :( but it's a nice pipe dream :P

Apologies for my woeful typing bte :O

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

On the one hand I believe decentralisation/eVoting is a good thing, as it puts the decision making in the hands of those it most clearly belongs to.

The Nice Treaty debate though bothered me, as people didnt seem to know what the Nice Treaty was about, and despite a lot of time to educate themselves ( two gos ) I heard on the radio recently that people *still* after all this time, didnt know what the Nice Treaty was about - and they werent helped by a variety of interests which did their best to ignore the Treaty and instead argue their views not on the Treaty itself but issues beyond the Treaty.

When people dont know about the issue being voted on, dont educate themselves on the issue being voted on, and are at the mercy of rather dishonest tactics/slogans - were setting ourselves up for mob rule - ill educated decisions based on fear/hype whipped up *by* educated but dishonest lobby groups.

Advertisement