Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally LEAP

Options
  • 28-02-2003 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi All,

from today on I have a Leap Broadband Installation. :)

So, they are able to do installations across the bay up to clontarf!
    Very fine.

What confuses me a little bit:
    What are your ping rates?

The first "hop" to the gateway is currently 30ms, wich seems to be fine.
    But then it gets worse. I can ping servers in the uk (for example yahoo) with about 500ms....

This is definitely useless for online gaming :-(
    Leap told me they have a technical problem an they will fix it.
    What can I expect?
    Do you have the same effect?

Thanks in advance,
    jochen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

first hop of 30 ms is not too bad could be better but your over in clontarf.
    what mast are you setup to? "3 rocks" ?
    what other masts do they have anyone know
    try pinging these and see what you get
    cs.clanradox.com
    games1.iol.ie
    www.eircom.net

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Coyote
    cs.clanradox.com
    games1.iol.ie
    www.eircom.net

Coyote

hi,

i'm connected to the RTE Tower.

cs.clanradox.com
    games1.iol.ie
    www.eircom.net

cs.clanradox.com = 186ms average
    games1.iol.ie = 142ms
    eircom = 171ms

I will see what happens until next week. Maybe they can fix the problem.
    A test with tracert shows me that I have to go over at least 17 servers to reach clanradox
    :mad:

jochen

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Leap have some problems in the games-ping area due to idiot-routing by NTL.

Otherwise I've found them pretty sweet to be fair. I get 30-50K per second downloads almost always (I'm on their business circuit and only use it at night, you're mileage may vary).

They are planning on doing something with the ping times but I dunno when and I wouldnt be holding my breath, I've been at them for it for a while now, its not entirely in their control...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

what download speeds are you getting jow ?

baz

• Advertisement

Hi,

Leap have some problems in the games-ping area due to idiot-routing by NTL.

Otherwise I've found them pretty sweet to be fair. I get 30-50K per second downloads almost always (I'm on their business circuit and only use it at night, you're mileage may vary).

They are planning on doing something with the ping times but I dunno when and I wouldnt be holding my breath, I've been at them for it for a while now, its not entirely in their control...

Wow! :mad: :mad:
    I asked the guy from the sales department specially for good ping for gaming! He told me a lot of gamers use leap and they are pretty satisfied.
    Irishbroadband do special advertisement, who they extra claiming to be very good specially for gaming. As far as I know they use the same technology, but maybe different routing.

To be honest: if I had your information, I wouldn't signed up!
    Ok, I use the web often during the day, but online gaming was one of the most important issues for me. I even don't like the bad ping I get from my eircom isdn (which is about 90 to servers to the uk).
    But, the guy from leap told me they will do something.
    Until that, I have to hold my account from utvip just for gaming....
    wich makes me (carefully expressed :-)) SAD!!

The download is between 30 and 82 today.
    What surprises me is that the rates varies often.
    When I used DSL in germany the rates was all the time 96kbit/s.
    With leap it changes between 30 and 82....
    but that is ok.... it is the ping that worries me :D
    jochen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by jow
    Irishbroadband do special advertisement, who they extra claiming to be very good specially for gaming.

Leaflets? Whats in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

I thought leap and irishbroadband where using the same type of kit and where both on the rte tower.IF so how come leap can reach as far as clontarf and castleknock where as IBB only go as far as ringsend??

Hi,
    Originally posted by crazyasafox
    I thought leap and irishbroadband where using the same type of kit and where both on the rte tower.IF so how come leap can reach as far as clontarf and castleknock where as IBB only go as far as ringsend??

You are right. Could it be that Leap is more up to new customers?
    I called IBB and LEAP and told both of them, that I can see the RTE Tower directly from my home.
    IBBs answers was: "Look at the maps on our page. Thats all we can cover".
    Leaps answer: "Yes, maybe. we come over to your site and have a look." ;-)
    My personal measurement with a GPS Programm told me that the distance between tower and my home is 5.6km, wich is in range of the wireless specification, I think.

jochen

Hi,
    Originally posted by STaN
    Leaflets? Whats in it?

have a short look at their webpage:
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/r_faq.html

jochen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by jow
    Hi,

You are right. Could it be that Leap is more up to new customers?
    I called IBB and LEAP and told both of them, that I can see the RTE Tower directly from my home.
    IBBs answers was: "Look at the maps on our page. Thats all we can cover".
    Leaps answer: "Yes, maybe. we come over to your site and have a look." ;-)
    My personal measurement with a GPS Programm told me that the distance between tower and my home is 5.6km, wich is in range of the wireless specification, I think.

jochen

Aren't IBB using some kind of non-standard kit designed for WISPs on the RTE tower?

And, AFAIK, Leap have a tower on the very top of 3 rock, whereas IBBs is about half way down the slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

I just rang Leap and they said that they installed a unit into Temple bar, a new internet cafe with gaming and they said that the results were good.

So I am ordering today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I contacted them today and filled in the paperwork.

Waiting on a callback with a time and day for the LOS test.

I'm in Castleknock so am hoping for the best...

I'll update you all on how well they perform in terms of actually turning up - isn't it sad that I'm almost expecting it not to happen ? (based on so many past experiences with Irish companies....Eircon, NTL yadda yadda yadda)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Holy flip castleknock thats where i live !!!!

Does any body know how far in 2 castleknock they can go ??

i live in collegegate which is near the carpenter's pub ??

Anybody ??

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

A representative rang me today and said that Rathfarnham is in the range of the three rock transmitter. He said it'd be up and running within the next few weeks. He asked me to fill out the service agreement and then he'd organise a call out for a site test. He said (guys name Barry Foster) that there shouldn't be any problems.

I'll post more as I find out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well I'm in Castleknock too and leap said they reckon it wouldn't work but they'd do a LOS test anyway. I haven't gone for it yet but I'm thinking about it.

I'm near the Carpenter Pub too (Castleknock)

Got a call back from them today confirming a LOS test for next Tuesday 11th.

I'll let ye know how I get on.

I've got a few options for where they can install the antenna so hopefully it'll work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

BB in Clontarf!!!!

Where bouts are you???

hi,
    Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    BB in Clontarf!!!!

Where bouts are you???

direct at the waterline, facing the bay. :cool:

i can see the rte tower, thats the important part I guess....

jochen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 romi

I'm living in Clondalkin(woodford area),and I'm getting an los test on tuesday,the antenna's are visible so hopefully everything should be ok.I'll let you all know how it went.

• Advertisement

Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
    I just passed the los test,great stuff,should be up and running in a couple of weeks.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i am living in clondalkin and failed the los test i am right beside the green isle hotel did they test you for the three rock transmitter. I think they were testing for RTE from me.

Pleased to see how efficient it was. Given the stormy weather I honestly expected a no-show.

I got a call to confirm directions and the chap said he'd get back to me to let me know one way or another [ and he'd throw down the boomerang that my kids managed to stick on the roof last wekk ;-) ]

Sure enough, 30 minutes later he calls to confirm that he can get a signal though it's not the strongest but they should be able to provide service.

I'm expecting a call today/tomorrow to set up an install date. They have already sent the paperwork (how efficient) filled out and ready for me to return.

Yes - it's not the cheapest option but right now and for the forseeable future they're the only game in town. Worst case is that my 'net access costs more for the next 12 months than it does for the following 12 months. Though from what I've seen on boards there is the matter of quality-of-service which seems to be perceived as good with Leap.

I'll keep y'all updated

(yes Dr4gul4 I'm near the Carpenter pub so it's probably worth your while to get a LOS test done)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Romi,

The Woodford area is in a valley. Which transmitter do you know. Do youhave the name of the guy who done the test. I live on Watery Lane.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by shabbyroad
    (yes Dr4gul4 I'm near the Carpenter pub so it's probably worth your while to get a LOS test done)

Which transimitter are you connecting into?

Guys,I don't know from which transmitter he tested me from but from my house you can clearly see all of the antenna's that are situated on 3 rock,I don't know the guys name(forgot to ask),but he went up the house and came down after a couple of minutes and said that it was perfect and that the transmitter should be ready in this week and I should be up and running at the longest in two weeks.Yes,woodford is in a valley and at first when I applied I had my doubts but one day coming home from the village(on a beautiful clear day) I looked to see if I could see the mountain and right in front of my eyes I saw loads of transmitters that faced directly behind my house,another thing that caught my attention was that behind my house there is a bookie and he has a couple of antenna's installed that are facing the rte transmitter,I saw that they were even lower than my house so I said to myself that I have to be able to get leap.I would say that all the houses that are on my right hand side can for sure recieve leap,going towards the left which means going towards the village I don't know.
    To make it more clear where I live,I live directly behind the Dutch Village Shpping center,at the corner house,if any of you are nearby you can check it out and see why they did not pass your los test.

thegills,where exactly is waterylane?

STaN :
    Which transimitter are you connecting into?

AFAIK it's 3 Rock. Though I guess it's not entirely out of the question that I'm getting signal from one of the City Centre masts.

I'll find out when it's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

romi,
    Watery Lane is the road that go's from Molloys off licence in the Village to the main road that runs through the dutch village. If you were closer to the Siac roundabout you'd be screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

thegills,

Watery Lane is slightly lower than where romi is so you may not get LOS to three rock mountain. I know I dont have LOS from the Nangor Rd. But until you can get up onto your roof and have a look from there you can really be certain - would probably be worth asking them to come out and do a LOS check. Failing that, the Nangor Rd Exchange is upgraded for Errcom's DSL.

Advertisement