Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. Diplomat's Letter of Resignation

Options
  • 28-02-2003 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

U.S. Diplomat's Letter of Resignation

The following is the text of John Brady Kiesling's letter of resignation to Secretary of State Colin L. Powell. Mr. Kiesling is a career diplomat who has served in United States embassies from Tel Aviv to Casablanca to Yerevan.

Dear Mr. Secretary:

I am writing you to submit my resignation from the Foreign Service of the United States and from my position as Political Counselor in U.S. Embassy Athens, effective March 7. I do so with a heavy heart. The baggage of my upbringing included a felt obligation to give something back to my country. Service as a U.S. diplomat was a dream job. I was paid to understand foreign languages and cultures, to seek out diplomats, politicians, scholars and journalists, and to persuade them that U.S. interests and theirs fundamentally coincided. My faith in my country and its values was the most powerful weapon in my diplomatic arsenal.

It is inevitable that during twenty years with the State Department I would become more sophisticated and cynical about the narrow and selfish bureaucratic motives that sometimes shaped our policies. Human nature is what it is, and I was rewarded and promoted for understanding human nature. But until this Administration it had been possible to believe that by upholding the policies of my president I was also upholding the interests of the American people and the world. I believe it no longer.

The policies we are now asked to advance are incompatible not only with American values but also with American interests. Our fervent pursuit of war with Iraq is driving us to squander the international legitimacy that has been America’s most potent weapon of both offense and defense since the days of Woodrow Wilson. We have begun to dismantle the largest and most effective web of international relationships the world has ever known. Our current course will bring instability and danger, not security.

[...]
    U.S. Diplomat Resigns, Protesting 'Our Fervent Pursuit of War'

Career Diplomat Resigns Over Iraq Policy (AP)

U.S. Diplomat Resigns Over Iraq Policy (Reuters)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

At least he has the freedom to protest unlike Iraqis.

Cork, the Iraqi's have the freedom to protest. They'll just get beaten down/ or shot. Just as Black Americans were beaten/& killed during the 50's/60's/& 70's. Everyone has the freedom to do whatever they like, its just not a good idea to do so most of the time, since the consequences can bite you in the ass.

Can you imagine this person ever getting a job again, in the US government? He'll be Black-listed by the US government.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great letter. Congrats to John for having the balls to publish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Cork

But why arent you labelling him a Saddam-apologist or coward or whatever else it is that is levelled at any non-American who makes similar criticisms of the US action?

Surely France and Germany also have freedom to protest? If so, then why is such scorn and ridicule being landed on them for exercising this freedom, but this guy isnt?

You wouldnt think of using the same criteria for judging different people who are delivering the same message, would you? I mean, it would appear to make sense, rather than cherry-picking the standards you wish to apply on a case by case basis to suit your argument.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Wow. A reasonably mainstream politician basically admitting it's a game for nothing but cowards and liars. Well done my friend. Politics can be heartening sometimes.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by klaz
    Cork, the Iraqi's have the freedom to protest. They'll just get beaten down/ or shot. Just as Black Americans were beaten/& killed during the 50's/60's/& 70's. Everyone has the freedom to do whatever they like, its just not a good idea to do so most of the time, since the consequences can bite you in the ass.
    Thats not my definition of freedom.
    If you are prepared to give an example, of Black america not having the freedom to protest in the 50's 60's or 70's, I can tell you, it's the exact opposite there now, and almost to the other extreme.
    Ie if you say anything bad publicly about African Americans you will be in for a hard time, and thats no bad turn around in society. Of course, bad attitudes still exist, but they aren't legal.

It's good to see this diplomat resigning on a point of principal, like this.He is not alone in the land of high profile U.S people being against U.S foreign policy, withness Jesse Jackson.
    Depending on his age, he might be in line for a nice private sector consultancy job somewhere, advising on American business in some dictatorship somewhere ( :P ) I doubt if he'll be destitute.
    Maybe, he's also near retirement, so a nice government pension to boot.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

em......no but you could ask the anti war protesters in NY on Feb 15th about that......Bloomberg et al doesnt like anti war marches.

If you are prepared to give an example, of Black america not having the freedom to protest in the 50's 60's or 70's, I can tell you, it's the exact opposite there now, and almost to the other extreme

True, its like that now, but back when they were using their freedom to protest, they got beaten up/imprisoned/etc. What i was saying that everyone has the freedom to do whatever they like, its just not a good idea to do so. People have the freedom to break the law, and they do, and they know the consequenses of their actions.
    Thats not my definition of freedom

However, it is mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jes'Shout!

RE: The policies we are now asked to advance are incompatible not only with American values but also with American interests...

Well Johnny, you may be gone but yer not forgotten, especially by the FBI and the CIA. Rest assured, your file will continue grow.

Advertisement