Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is CTYI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think if there was a poll for the most missunderstood forum it would be CTYI!

I went from Bart Simpson Nerd camp impressions to knowing what it actually is because i asked! Never been and im too old now so wont ever go. Oh well

Anyway no need for nastiness unless its in good fun and people find it funny.. though some moderators would say that belongs on the humour forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Saruman
    Anyway no need for nastiness unless its in good fun and people find it funny.. though some moderators would say that belongs on the humour forum!

There's no nastiness here (any nastiness that was here i have moderated out :P ) True some of the stuff posted could go to the humour board, but mostly people here want to see the reaction of other people here, maybe in future i could send a copy down to rest of ye, but seemingly there's no need as most of ye find you're way here anyway! :) No complaints from me about that, as far as i can see any opinions are welcome, just dont get annoyed if our topics head towards in-jokes and refer to things that happened when we were together in real life :)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Although i don't think i was "flaming" i apologise anyway. I still don't get this place but i won't 'rock the boat' any more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

There is a whole site dedicated to CTYI'ers in the works apparently, I don't know if the guy who is doing that will play through with it though. And the place seems pretty dead compared to here, I don't know if it will catch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

ctyi bored?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Yeah, but i'm attempting to set up a site to host peoples pics and that type of stuff. anyone got an idea of a good domain name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by foobar
    Yeah, but i'm attempting to set up a site to host peoples pics and that type of stuff. anyone got an idea of a good domain name?

ctyi.com ctyi.ie

CTYI.com = run by money-grubbing whores, who want $750 to buy it

CTYI.ie would involve setting up a company

damn strict .ie rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Christine

Originally posted by azezil
    Although i don't think i was "flaming" i apologise anyway. I still don't get this place but i won't 'rock the boat' any more :)

Very few people do get this place. It's warm and fluffy.

Xtine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

My school are eejits, they get all the forms but just throw them in the bin, according to my maths teacher. She found out about CTYI from a friend and told my class about it. But it seems that my year was the only year CTYI was actually advertised or something in our school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

my school are fairly good actually. I don't know how many people actually went but I think 6 got in from my school. The main problem in my school is that the principal announces that it is for the top 5% of the population (Which it is) and that puts off a lot of people. still 6 people and 3 went last year, not bad.

to my knowledge only 3 people (myself included) have ever been directly involved with CTYI in my school ever. ... no wait... 4. my friend failed the talent search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Our school picks 6/7 people who they think would be good enough for it, 1 or 2 out of every class, and (wait for the est bit) they pay for the talent search! :)

oh and they started giving us £100 towards the cost of going too!

Fun!

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

cool! I wish my school gave me money for stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by smiles
    Our school picks 6/7 people who they think would be good enough for it, 1 or 2 out of every class, and (wait for the est bit) they pay for the talent search! :)

oh and they started giving us £100 towards the cost of going too!

Fun!

<< Fio >>

Man I am quite glad that the school I went to (West Brit as it was) was not so jaundiced in it's outlook.

Had that been the case I would not have been allowed to sit the test, the fact that I did in the end qualify was as much a shock to me as to everyone else, but my point is that sure I slacked off in school so had that been the criteria that the school had used in even 'informing' people of the talent search then I would not have got in.

I don't know if this is how it was done in other schools, but we were presented with a test that was basically about logical thinking, you know pattern_x pattern_y pattern_(insert your answer) and on the scoring of that n people were permitted to go to the sat, and so on, so... it follows your school is run by a load of small minded snobs who only believe what they see in the top of mid-term reports and define intellegence based on mid-terms and favoritism and academia (probably why they think that teaching is the end all and be all of human evolution) rather than allowing a more darwinian ethic, had my school been so rigid in it's selections then quite possibly I and some of my friends who attended would not have even been considered as we were (part of the undesirable crowd) listening to rock(which was popular back then) and chasing women rather then studying hard and playing ruby(or something similar).
    The liberal revolution is dead, long live the liberal revolution

Surprisingly there were people who consistantly got significantly higher grades than I who did not qualify, so if the criteria for being allowed sit the sat in this instance were singularly based on the work or lack of work that someone does in school then other people should have logicall speaking qualified even if I had been given the opportunity to sit the sat..... so this seems to imply that 'talent' be it scholastic or otherwise is not really evident by the methods of teaching in Ireland.

Clearly Einstein was a Genius, however he was berated and labled stupid by his school teachers (the man who came up the the general theory of relativity). This is why I need not listen to pious, self important academics as the measure and criteria used to ascribe intellectual prowess is 1. Subjective 2.Open to cultural influence 3.Very open to interpretation. So what if someone has no access to TV and studies 10 hours a day, by the definition laid down by smilies school that person is "more likely to be intellegent", which seems to fly in the face of the basic permis of what talent is... something you don't particularly work to acquire but a trait that you simply posess because of who you are and how you think and interact with your environment.

Take that hibbard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

actually,when i was in first year,about 15 people were told about ctyi and about 9 or 10 did the sat.

this year,i think only about 5 first years did it,along with me and some second years.i hope they get in,they're really lovely

my school doesnt even mention it to anyone. I ended up getting into an argument with my principial over that. i only heard about it outside of school.

And its the same with The Young Scientist too.

My school is really backward though.

My school didn't mention it. I found out from my friend who had been to the junior ones.

But still, Fios thing sounds pretty sweet. money is good. "The lack of money is the root of all evil" and such.

And the two other guys who were in my school who went were brothers (and one was the guy who told me bout it firstly). so there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i told my guidance councellor i was doing it and he said "oh that thing" in a condesending voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

You're forgetting that he appears to say most things in a condesending voice. Though you're right he does take a dim view of "oh that thing".

• Advertisement

Excuse me if i've gotten my facts wrong but didn't einstein get someone else to do his maths for him? He just came up with an idea of what might solve the problem and someone else helped him do the workings...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Having done a very long-winded and detailed project on his two Theories of Relativity, I never heard of Einstein getting someone else to do his maths. But y'never know.

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Excuse me if i've gotten my facts wrong but didn't einstein get someone else to do his maths for him? He just came up with an idea of what might solve the problem and someone else helped him do the workings...
    It would often be up to post graduates to do the donkey work of professors (not sure what qualifications Einstein had)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

not many people over here have heard of ctyi, but alot of people know about cty. so most schools' counseling offices, if you ask , will give you a brochure or somethingerather. But they dont ever bring it up or anything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just having a read - pardon me if I'm stepping on toes but it seems to me that this place rocks hard for the folk who've been.

And fair play. These sorts of thing should be more popular and nationwide - I'm reading tales of shy but smart kids (heh says the 23 year old aul-fella) being transformed into the life and soul of the party - I've even met the mods face to face and big hugs all round (although I think Adam was only giving me one cause Rob did first, but you're cuter Adam *wink*). Nutters is the word that comes to mind (my kinda folk) :)

Anyway, my post doesn't really have any point, but I just wanted to say "Fair Play!" CTYI - it seems to have had the impact one some of you that college had on me.

Hehe, adam *is* a hotty, with legs from here to......:D

Yeah, CTYI changes a lot of people. for the better, luckily :)

I used to be Über-shy, but now i spend hours on the interne.....

crap, bad example :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Lol, thanks Kharn, you're pretty cute yourself ;) I was also drunk at the time... but you can make your mind up about what im really like at Room 101 :)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

CTYI has been around since about 1992/93, the first summer programme in DCU was in 1993. They only had one session in 93 and 94 and now students can only do one of the two sessions cos of the huge demand. The amount of primary school kids taking the saturday classes all over the country is amazing too.

I know people seem to think that there isn't much info around in schools but it has improved vastly since I started going to CTYI in 94. There was a lot of media attention the summer in 94, there were so many articles in papers about it.

Spread the word and be glad we got to experience it!

for anyone thinking of going back as an RA, yout have to be in college they don't take people back the summer after they do their leaving. but it is an amazing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Well put, ceewa. But who are you?

}:>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Slighty too late for me to take the sats i guess :eek:

Advertisement