Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with my latest build

• 01-03-2003 1:03am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought an Abit NF7-S (SATA), AMD XP2600, Radeon 9700 and a Western Digital 80GB hard drive.
    This lot with my existing parts were to make up my new PC. This is my third build so I'm pretty sure I tried all the obvious answers. No matter what I try Windows XP installs and then resets the PC as it boots up every time eventually saying a file is corrupt on the C drive.
    I have tried different hard drives, minimal hardware (i.e. memory, hd, cd-rom and graphics card), different graphics cards etc. to no avail. I have decided that the blame lies with the mobo (perhaps the IDE) but before I try to return it to overclockers (i.e. they test it, tell me it's fine and charge me for testing it) I want to try the SATA. You see I didn't try with the SATA up to now because I have no idea how to setup the PC with SATA. Is there anywhere that I can find out how to do this without it being how to setup a raid etc.
    Everywhere I look it is assumed that there would be no chump like me who just wants to setup one hd on SATA.
    Failing that anyone have any ideas what might be wrong. Am I correct in assuming the mobo is to blame?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I don't know if it is the same with the abit as the asus boards( i assume that that is a NForce board), but my asus had a problem with my western digital hard drive

It was doing similar things as what you are saying(except I was using win2k ;) ) All I had to do was switch the jumper on the drive to cable select. It made no sence to me but it worked.

Hope that works

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried two hd (a seagate one as well as the WD) plus both had cable select selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Read the hw tweaking/modding charter please.

Advertisement