Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your overall favourite rpg

Options
  • 01-03-2003 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

This might have been more suited to role playing but nah... I prefer this board. Sorry if i missed one, these are ones that i know are good/popular, dont expect ultima 3 and 3/4: lord whatever saves the day.

Your favourite rpg... 46 votes

FF7
    0% 0 votes
    FF6/3
    47% 22 votes
    Phantasy star 4
    2% 1 vote
    Chrono trigger
    2% 1 vote
    Zelda ( snes one)
    10% 5 votes
    Zelda (n64)
    13% 6 votes
    Secret of mana
    13% 6 votes
    Breath of fire 3
    6% 3 votes
    shining force1/2
    0% 0 votes
    Terranigma
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gwan teh zelda...as far as role playing goes FF 7 is prolly beter but i juz lurve zelda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I do love zelda and ff7 was "good" but i think chrono trigger pulls them both off...

Meaning it has all the little things of zelda and has the brilliance of ff7. If have never played i suggest u get urself a snes emulator!

I must rephrase that.

It has the loveable parts of zelda eg the start with "fairy cam"
    And the dramatic depressing serious storyline of ff7

Best snes graphic you'll see to boot! Kinda makes me wanna.... /me blows dust of snes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Out of that lot, FF7.... I'd have gone for FFX was it an option though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Final Fantasy sucks. Terranigma is by far the greatest game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

FF7 > * tbh and ya know it :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Not to be a pretentious wee twerp, but I will be. ;)

There ain't no role playin' in them games! Especially Zelda! Great games, all of them - at least the ones I've played - but no actual role playing!

Especially Zelda, consarnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

no D&D rpg games...?
    or mmorpg games...?

I decided to leave those out. I was aiming at console gaming... and zelda, I was just waiting for some1 to point that out! I was low on brains when making this poll. I still dont know how u can claim the rest of those games aint rpg's. If you want to look closely at the meaning of RPG, every game is one if you think about it. Well not every game but a huge amout of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Jaguar? Chrono Trigger is the best. Amazing use of snes technology. FFVII is a very close second, Its hard to choose between the two.
    I was low on brains when making this poll

Again, Jaguar?

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Jaguar? Chrono Trigger is the best. Amazing use of snes technology. FFVII is a very close second, Its hard to choose between the two.

Again, Jaguar?

Whos this jaguar fella? methinks it was an old console b4 my time, nes being my 1st

I also whole heartedly agree with that, zelda is good but shouldnt really even be there and terranigma was excellent, but again not a true rpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Rnger
    Whos this jaguar fella?

dont worry it will become apparent when you see more polls on these boards. the atari jaguar is the no opinion opinion in each poll. the origins of it are best answered in the newbie faq board.

now back to the poll.

Final Fantasy 7 is head and shoulders above the rest.

but why no xenogears, final fantasy x, or chrono cross(better than trigger, way darker imho)?

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    but why no xenogears, final fantasy x, or chrono cross(better than trigger, way darker imho)?

Cuz im a freakin moron!! every question im asked from now on will be answered with that... Last time i make a poorly informed poll! iv never even heard of xenogears :p
    I also heard ffX is rubbish, guess not, ive never played it except the demo. same wit cross, heard it woz pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Originally posted by Rnger
    I decided to leave those out. I was aiming at console gaming... and zelda, I was just waiting for some1 to point that out! I was low on brains when making this poll. I still dont know how u can claim the rest of those games aint rpg's. If you want to look closely at the meaning of RPG, every game is one if you think about it. Well not every game but a huge amout of them.

Hmmm.

Generally, I only really consider games where the player can choose their own approach to how they solve problems, how their character interacts with other characters, how their character develops, and generally how much of a sway they have on the way the game progresses.

Basically, exp points plus levelling up plus fantasy world does not equal playing a role. As such, I don't think you really can have an RPG unless there's other people involved, since a CPU doesn't have the flexability or interface to cope with any given decision on the part of a player.

You can tell I'm a pen and paper nerd, can't you? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Theres no D+D games or western rpgs because they're all pure shoit!.

Final Fantasy is the daddy although everyone mentioned should be played through by everyone.

P.S. You forgot Grandia in the poll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And if you have actually played Xenogears well it isn't all that good. The cutscenes are far to long and theres not enough gameplay. It's brilliant but has far too many flaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Zelda (SNES version) is my favourite by far.
    It's probably the game i've spent the most amount of hours on.

Fawkin brill. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

secret of mana > chrono trigger > ff7 > *

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Shining Force - best RPG I've ever played, only RPG to come close was FF7 and Baldurs Gate2. The combat system was oen of a kind, never seen anything similar, and the storyline was good, albiet cheesy at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

FF7... felt more involved in the story-line than any other RPG I've played.
    Kind of game you wish you'd never played just so you could experience it again.

tbh i havent played all these games you speak of... I only had a snes and n64 so i never played shining force, p*4, balders gate , xenogears, grandia.

Am I the only person who thinks when the hear some1 say "ff7 is the best ever!", its seems like theyve never played any other rpg before? I just can't imagine that being the best game/rpg ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

FF7 loses my vote because of one thing that caused me extreme mental anguish for about a year.... the golden chocobo. i know exactly how to do it but ****ing hell its suck a ****ing frustrating process

any way SNES Zelda is teh w1n!

Originally posted by nesthead
    FF7 loses my vote because of one thing that caused me extreme mental anguish for about a year.... the golden chocobo. i know exactly how to do it but ****ing hell its suck a ****ing frustrating process

any way SNES Zelda is teh w1n!
    I never bred a golden choco, hehe, I beat ruby weapon with hade's (think its hade's, if not try all the summons, 1 gets it) which paralyse's him then its just easy casting for the next 30mins killing him, tadaa, free goldie. Then use the KotR to kill emerald weapon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by Pugsley
    I never bred a golden choco, hehe, I beat ruby weapon with hade's (think its hade's, if not try all the summons, 1 gets it) which paralyse's him then its just easy casting for the next 30mins killing him, tadaa, free goldie. Then use the KotR to kill emerald weapon :)
    Id like to know which version of the game you played :) Hades only took Ruby out of the game for 3/4 turns max, and without a more complicated strategy by that stage you would have been left with only one character to beat him with... I would have thought Ruby was practically impossible without KOTR or cheating, so Im either impressed by your skill or I think your lying :)

Call me a cynic, youd be right.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

omnislash, auto phoenix, lv99, master summons and some hella powerful magic with a hell of a lot of luck might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My fav. (console) RPG isn't listed there. ShadowRun on the SNES. It captured FASA's rpg of the same name perfectly. It was dark, it was moody, and it was DAMN bloody long and good. Even the music suited the game down to a tee.

Bar that, all PC stuff for me - Fallout, BG, etc.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    omnislash, auto phoenix, lv99, master summons and some hella powerful magic with a hell of a lot of luck might do the trick.
    Still wouldnt be enough. Even with titanium steel alloy luck. Powerful magic or not, the limit to damage is 9999. Ruby and Emerald pack a million HP each, so you need to be able to use a good few multi-hit combos in succession. It might work if you could have Cloud, Barrett and Cid performing limit breaks repeatedly, but this is impossible, even with mime. You could do it with one character, but it wouldnt be enough. Auto phoenix (Final Attack + Phoenix) will only work as many times as you have levelled up both materia, and you need the MP to cast it. You cant get the Master Summon without either A) Having KOTR or B) Beating Emerald Weapon (dont even think about trying until you have KOTR...).

A

Dont bother with omni slash against ruby weapon, only does 800 or so a hit usually (albiet i was using lvl 60 chars). btw - as for using hades to take him out, use it once, attack once or twice, then wait until he starts moving (paralyse wears off) and then just cast it again instantly,only takes an hour or so :rolleyes: faster than getting a goldy tho.

ps: ruby has 1mil hp, emerald has 750,000, but ruby is easier I find, paralyse and the fact that emeralds stomp thing attack (cant remember name) does 1111 damage to all chars in your party per materia carried, so if you have 9 pieces of materia per char - all go bye bye, mega hard to fight against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Phantasy Star 4. As polished as any Final Fantasy game but far more challenging with better character development.

Zelda is only an RPG in the most loose sense. Far more of an action adventure.

Of the games that aren't mentioned I'd just like to give Landstalker a thumbs up. It's an isometric action/platforming/puzzle RPG with the best dialogue of any game I've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Neverwinter Nights?
    Baulders Gate II?
    Icewind Dale 2?
    Neocron?

• Advertisement

Hes already mentioned that hes talking about console RPGs Hobbes. As far as Im concerned, this is fair enough, as the two are entirely different genres.

A

Advertisement