Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach Boys! Goodness Gracious.

Options
  • 01-03-2003 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Am I going utterly utterly mad? Did anyone else see the ad for The Beach Boys and Don McLean gig?? In.......................

..............................Roscommon?? There is so much wrong with that I don't know where to start. I don't give a crap about Don McLean really coz he can do whatever he wants but the Beach Boys? What are they doing! They're 40% deceased! And the three that are alive couldn't possibly get on a stage together. Not after all that happened. Brian and Mike sharing a stage? Come on!!

I'm stunned and shocked. Shocked and stunned.

And anyway, it's such a hideous image that I wouldn't dream of going to see them. I just couldn't! I love them with all my guts but it'd make me so sad to see three aging rockers singing about the surf.......in Roscommon.

Yours in a state of unrest,

Roxy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

I dont even think theres a beach in roscommon (?my geography aint so good)
    hell, they arent even boys anymore. theres no way they theyd risk walkin down the other side of the street nowadays, theyre zimmerframes wud be yoinked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

They're playing at the end of july, but i wouldn't put money on brian wilson being wiht them, they've been performing as the beach boys without him for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by Ed
    they've been performing as the beach boys without him for years.

hmm I didn't now that I must say. just mike and al? Odd, although me thinks Brian Wilson is laughing all the way to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Well Brian Wilson stopped touring with the Beach Boys and stayed at home writing songs back in the 60s.

Brian Wilson hasn't got the rights to the name. I thought it was Carl who was touring with a band claiming to be the beach boys but apparently he's dead. It's Mike Love who has the rights to the name:

Mike Love has licensed the Beach Boys' name for his tour, which also features Bruce Johnston. Supporting performers include Adrian Baker, John Cowsill, Tim Bonhomme, Chris Farmer, Scott Totten, and Mike Kowalski

I didn't mean the Beach Boys name, I meant with them still touring and presumably playing all de hits that brian wrote then they're keeping Brian's nest nicely feathered. (ever hear the stuff they wrote without brian? not pretty. Except boogaloed it - that's good)

But aside from that - is this Roscommon's first gig of this magnitude? Surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Probably Rosscommon's first gig full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

seems like a fairly goddam odd place for this i must say! wouldn't have thought there would be enough people in roscommon to fill a gig like this

well mewsel, just on the QT, I think they might actually open up the border gates around roscommon and let people in from other counties. But you didn't hear that from me.

Shuush

Roxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i meant that probably not as many people would go than if it was say in dublin cause of transport problems etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 taellad

I think it would be kind of interesting, like a cat with only three legs, or somebody being tortured. I guess they're doing it for the money as all these bands who reunite do it. Ironically, Don McClean actually comes out tops on this bill, because he can't actually reform in order to milk a cash cow. Oh, and his American Pie album is quite nice. Or at least I used to like it when I was twelve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rob Taylor

Monkey's right, it's Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and a bunch of session musicians. Mike Love kicked Al Jardine out of the band in 1998. Brian Wilson has his own band, who are mighty, by the way. I wouldn't spit on this Roscommon gig. Mike Love is a money-grabber, pure and simple. His Beach Boys Band play corporate conferences where he trundles out the likes of Fun Fun Fun and I Get Around to an audience of Stock Investors and life assurance salesmen. Rock N Roll my ass. Carl Wilson is dead, meaning that this incarnation of the band hasn't got a wilson to it's name. The last time Brian and Mike shared a stage was in 1996 actually, and they actually get on pretty well these days, which is probably down to Brian Wilson's forgiving nature than anything else. Going to see this Beach Boys gig in roscommon would be like going to see Nirvana without Kurt Cobain, or Aerosmith without Steven and Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

Totally with Mr Taylor on that one.
    Mike Love is the worst thing to come out of california.
    How he was related to the Wilson brothers I just cannot fathom.
    There's no accounting for relations sometimes, is there?

How the cheeky git can get away with using the name
    I can't understand either. It's madness. This was the guy
    who wanted to 'get away' from what he felt was difficult
    music after the release of Pet Sounds and back to where
    the beach boys belonged... in the really cheesy pop song
    area... The philistine.

There's a brilliant picture Linda McCartney took of Dennis
    Wilson stealing Love's hat backstage and teasing him.
    Love had no sense of humour. Fun fun fun my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

yeah, it is depressing and all that, but stealing someone's hat and making fun of them is hardly the height of humour.

yes but on the relation side of things tigger, look at the wilsons' dad. Not only did he beat them quietly at home as kids and order brian to **** on the kitchen floor for no reason, but he had a wild desire for controlling everything they did in the early days. Now, Mike Love was his nephew so it's not that big a mystery where he got his charlatan characteristics from. And the temper and the horrible personality and all the rest of it.

Still, at €45, the tickets are nothing compared to Sir Paul McC's outing.
    Shameless leeches.

Roxy

the word that's asterisked out there is sh1t, in case people thought it was something else. Like that's not bad enough! Sorry to dwell on it.

Roxy

Advertisement