Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish

• 01-03-2003 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Does anyone, at all, anywhere think that Irish "needs" to be done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

you should start a petition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

And why the hell do we have to do english, im never going to go to Australia.

I dont think we should have to do any subject after JC. The English A levels system is much better, pick 3 subjects and thats it. So no langauges if you hate them etc..

Irish is a waste of my time, doing 8 subjects atm, A. Maths after school. So everyday I have to sit through an Irish class doing nothing when I could be studying something worthwhile. I havent opened an Irish book this year, I dropped down from a honour beacuse it wasnt worth my time, could only get a B if I really pushed myself. Half that work would get me an A1 in Biology. BAsically I havent done ANY Irish work this year, so if I fail the mocks next week I might put some efffort in for the LC, might!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i agree that irish shouldnt have to be learnt. it should be an optional subject.
    they complain that people always do really badly in irish but if there wasnt so much pressure to study it id say people would be more willing to put the effort in and therefore do better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I argued about this with my grandmother not too long ago. You see she got 100% on her irish test which was the LC at the time. She insists on speaking irish to me for pratice. All my life I have complied up until that argument.

I came to the conclusion after little thought, that there is two reasons: neither are worth while in my humble opinion.

1st: Do your drving test in irish and it's easier to pass. (urban myth probably)
    2nd: To become an irish teacher! :D

You get more points for doing your LC in Irish, think it works like,

If you get a D you get an extra 10%
    a C extra 8%
    a B extra 5%

They are just examples of figures but it still works on a sliding scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Sangre

I dont think we should have to do any subject after JC. The English A levels system is much better, pick 3 subjects and thats it. So no langauges if you hate them etc..

The purpose of secondry school is to provide people with a general education, not prepare people for third level education. Anyway i don't think it's too much to ask to have people learn another language, maths or a science subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Yeah! Stop moaning! It's your heritage! All you have to do is pass! And there's the option of the foundation paper. I think they make the ordinary level deliberately easy (famous last words!), the paper is fairly predictable and easy to revise for! And whats up with those Sliocht? BRINGING THEM INTO THE EXAM WITH YOU?!?

Originally posted by Shane
    And there's the option of the foundation paper.

Not for an NUI college it isn't.
    I wouldnt have any problem in learning Irish if it wasnt for the points system. So because I dont want to use Irish in my points I have to take a dubject outside school and that uses up a lot of time.
    5th and 6th are about college/Leaving Cert so you need your best 6 subjects and since Irish isn't one of mine why should I have to do it? 5 classes a week I could be studying in >:/

Not to mention I only just dropped to pass so its a joke, I dont even listen in class, just day dream.

Yeah! Stop moaning! It's your heritage! All you have to do is pass! And there's the option of the foundation paper. I think they make the ordinary level deliberately easy (famous last words!), the paper is fairly predictable and easy to revise for! And whats up with those Sliocht? BRINGING THEM INTO THE EXAM WITH YOU?!?

It's people like you I can't understand. Yes it is part of our heritage but that does not mean it should be forced upon you. It definatley shouldn't be a mandatory subject. Anyway I'm not in the mood for a rant...

Oh yeah and foundation isn't an option if you want to go to an NUI college.

forced upon you

Fine! Don't do it, you can still apply for a college in the North or abroad!

As my mam says..
    "the only thing you have to do is die"

• Advertisement

Fine! Don't do it, you can still apply for a college in the North or abroad!

:rolleyes:

Oh ok!
    Thats a great solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This has already been discussed extensively on the Gaeilge (Irish) forum. Check it out, specifically this page

--

Fóram Gaeilge ann - fóram ar a rabhamar ag caint faoi seo. Féach ar leathanach seo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

You get more points for doing your LC in Irish, think it works like,

If you get a D you get an extra 10% a C extra 8%
    a B extra 5%

Thats sort of right. Truth is you get 10% OF your mark not an extra 10% and so on. The percentage of your mark that gets added on does decrease as you go on
    argued about this with my grandmother not too long ago. You see she got 100% on her irish test which was the LC at the time

:rolleyes:

Oh ok! Thats a great solution.

My apologies, I meant for that to be sarchastic! (Tone: Sarchastic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got a B in honours Irish when I did the leaving. I can't hold a decent conversation through Irish to save my life.

I personally think Irish should be known by everyone in Ireland. It is supposed to be our official language, after all. The problem is the course itself. It's nothing but so-called great Irish literature (read manic depressive drunks with no redeeming qualities, especially not story writing abilities) and ancient classics.
    The Irish course in secondary schools doesn't actually teach anyone how to speak Irish, does it? It's really more of an "Irish literature" course.

I think I would have liked Irish and spoken it frequently if I was taught in a different way (or taught at all, as the case may be).

It's just like honours english. Full of literature and not enough learning how to speak(perhaps a reason why the travesty that is "Txt spk"is now running rampant like a nasty veneral disease).

I now quite regret never having learned to speak Irish. It's a nice language (with some great sounding insults and swear words!)

Originally posted by Sarky
    It's a nice language (with some great sounding insults and swear words!)

we were told that one of the rare things about the irish language is that there is no swear words........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"Prioc leat"= "F*ck off"(loosely)

Óinseach= B*tch
    Bastiún=B**tard.

And when you're being mean to someone it really sounds nasty...

Originally posted by Sarky
    Óinseach= B*tch

i understood that was just the female version of amadan, ie it means nothing more than fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Off topic. but what ya gonna do

I got 50% in honours irish in my mocks, which is alright considering i made it all up as i went along, as i couldnt be arsed to read all those poems and stories.

So i was contemplating either pushing for a C1 in honours irish leaving cert, which will entail some effort on my behalf or dropping to ordinary irish and aiming for an A1.

An A1 in ordinary earns 60 points whereas a D1 in honours gets you pretty much the same. My friend reckons it'll probably be harder to get an A1 in ordinary than say a D1 in honours, is this true?

Yeah your friends right.
    Its quite hard to get an A1 in any pass subject, realtively speaking, because the examiners feel if you can get an A1 in pass you should be doing honours. Its to keep the standard of the pass paper lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

If you don't like Irish, then don't do it..

Its a closely kept secret that "YES YOU CAN DROP IRISH". This limits you to Non-NUI colleges. But who in their right mind would prefare UCD over DCU or Trinity.

I dropped Irish in 3rd year just before my JC. As long as i kept a euro language i was fine(unless i wanted to study irish in college lol)..

DROP IRISH TODAY

p.s. I love Irish but I didn't like the way it was taught in 2nd level. I'm pretty good at it as i spent alot of time in the wilds of galway during the summer.

Advertisement