Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow WindowsXp Startup

Options
  • 02-03-2003 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

My WindowsXP has recenty become very slow to start up, it takes about a 1 minute and a half to get by the Logo with the scrolling bar.

I recently reinstalled winXP, before this I had a second hard disk as the boot disk, ie. It was needed to start windowsXP. The disk had win98 installed on it. This setup was very quick to get by the winXP logo, less than 20 seconds.

Now I have a single HDD which I first installed win98 on, and then performed a new install, converting the drive to NTFS.

In win98 there was a command you could run to fix something like this this, scanreg -restore? I tried this in safe mode command prompt and it does not work.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the system restore utility will do somthing similar to the scanreg command.

did you try looking in msconfig etc ete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Did you try defragging the drive? Does it continue to act slow after starting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Windows XP startup tends to slow to a crawl as it gathers **** on all machines. Try defragging the drive. Also have you installed Windows XP to a slower hard drive or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

No, it does not need defragging, its uber fast after it gets by this stage. The Drive is not slower its a 7200rpm drive.

Ive figured it out but I cant understnd why, when I put in the 4gig drive as a slve on IDE2 (Same as CDRW) the startup time is back to normal, under 10 seconds, Just counted last boot up.

Can anyone explain?

Advertisement