Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chatting and meeting

• 02-03-2003 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I love to talk to people in messenger and I don't consider myself weird or anything. I'm 42 female and married with kids. Maybe it is weird. I don't know. I love chatting and to be honest it's kinda exciting.

It usually starts off as normal everyday stuff but slowly and surely descends into 'will you meet me' and associated conversations after a few months.

I'm terrified to meet anyone from the net but at the same time would love to. I'd love to hear the opinions of people in my age group in here (no kids please - no offence).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

whats this thread about ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

nicelady, welcome to baords.

It seems that you are interested in chatting to people of your own age and views. Boards has a wide diversity and variety of people. The age range on boards is quite high, young and old are here. I suggest that you hang out on the different forums and contribute as you wish.

This message board is not intended for "chatting", many people here use a program called IRC. Please mention if you need more info on this.

Personal Issues isn't a forum for meeting and chatting with people - the whole of boards is. We will probably close this thread but don't take it to mean that we don't want you here. I'll leave this open for you to comment on in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Gordon,
    I think she means that she has been chatting to people on MSN or Yahoo messenger that she has met elsewhere on the net, not boards.

And now these people want to meet up in person after chatting to her on the Messenger thingys.

As for boards not being a place to meet people (boards beer apart), #boards.ie on IRC is about the most hostile place I've ever been on the net, the regulars seem to think of it as their own private clique club room, any newbs who arrive in get flamed for saying something 'stupid' or else just don't get the constant gay sexual innuendo
    not very welcoming to say the least

as to niceladys original question, I'd say be very very careful about meeting people off the net, make sure you talk to them alot
    on the phone first, and always meet them in a public place, like a busy pub, or coffee shop.
    Think about bringing a few friends with you , either just to stand there nearby when you meet the guy(?) first or to be sitting across the bar while you suss him out over a pint or whatever.

People lie alot on the net so the person you're expecting to meet probably won't arrive on the day!

good luck anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah don't get me wrong about "boards not being the place to meet people". I said that "PI wasn't a place for meeting people". ie I don't think that Personal Issues is the place for "Lonely Hearts" threads.

I refer you, nicelady, to this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85060 Have a read and input what you think on that, your info would be welcome. In fact I'm wondering if you meant to reply to that thread instead of making this a new thread, maybe this thread needs to be merged with the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Broccoli
    Gordon,
    As for boards not being a place to meet people (boards beer apart), #boards.ie on IRC is about the most hostile place I've ever been on the net, the regulars seem to think of it as their own private clique club room, any newbs who arrive in get flamed for saying something 'stupid' or else just don't get the constant gay sexual innuendo
    not very welcoming to say the least

#boards.ie -- yes it is a very hostile place, people have to carve a share of the market so to speak, jesus, it's a stupid thing - but it's so much more like real life when it's like that, if you know what i mean.

Everyone gets flamed, the newbies and the oldsk00ls, its just the oldskool types are more used to it, don't over react (with a few big exceptions) and tend to be able to give as good as they get.

If you grow a hard skin, laugh when you know they're being funny and ignore the stuff you don't care about then you'll have found a new home :)

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

everytime they slag my willy i cry for hours :( some call me insecure....but im just sensitive..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nicelady42, there are all sorts of people on the net, younger than the average population, but still men, women, tall, small, fat, skinny, intelligent, stupid, nice, not nice ....

There is generally no harm in innocently chatting with someone on the net. Meeting those people in real life is another matter, but as with any situation, meeting people in a public place, perhaps with friends (remember the differences between good and bad secrets) is usually a safe thing to do. Other than the "boards beers" and similar events, I haven't done it a lot, but basic security precautions usually prevent any problems. And remember, if you don't like them when you meet them, you don't have to meet them again.
    Originally posted by smiles
    #boards.ie -- yes it is a very hostile place, people have to carve a share of the market so to speak, jesus, it's a stupid thing
    Their share of the stupidity market? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

bernie, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Seriously nicelady42, you dont want to meet people off the intercomputer thing as they are all weirdos, take myself as a prime example of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    Seriously nicelady42, you dont want to meet people off the intercomputer thing as they are all weirdos, take myself as a prime example of this.

Would you like to meet?

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

nicelady42

Ive met someone from the net. Twas a good 3 years ago now. Girl from cobh. Went down to meet her. Had a great time. *hur hur hur etc*.

I wouldnt however try and meet anyone from boards.ie. Its far too tight a community, even with all the members that it has. I dont even consider most of em strangers. Just, strange :D

best stick to ICQ etc. But be warned !! It can be dangerous so better be damn sure that the person is who they say they are. ALWAYS tell someone where you are goin before you leave, just in case something awful happens....

Advertisement