Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Wanted

• 02-03-2003 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Anyone know where i can get a cheap ATX case w/ side window?

I'm a student and this new system i'm making isn't going to be too flashy, so nothing too expensive :)

I've looked around and eBay has some good bargains, but the price of international shipping adds alot onto it. :(

Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

komplett nxt week 99 euros for a silver case more info on the komplett board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Yea i was looking at that. Only costs an extra €30 or so for the side window too.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The SkyHawk ones are ok. Window and light included although they dont come with a PSU. I got the Jupiter one last month and very happy with it. 105 euro on Komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Read the hw tweaking/modding charter please.

Apparently the skyhawk cases are badly built and a horror to work inside - ask PPC, he knows these I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

The skyhawks are pretty flimsy allright. Though they are pretty cheap, and light, and won't cost all that much.

I have one and it does the job. It is a little cramped inside though.

• Advertisement

No problems with mine bar the usb and firewire connectors. They were a pain in the ass but asides that its built well and looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://www.munstercomputers.com/acatalog/pc_cases.html

I dunno how good those cases are but they seem pretty damn cheap.

Originally posted by phaxx
    Moved to tech. Read the hw tweaking/modding charter please.

Cases are usually associated with overclockers/modders, i just thought the hw tweaking/modding board would be the right place for it.

Ok are skyhawks my best bet then? Somebody mentioned that it's very 'cramped' in the case. Would watercooling be out of the question then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Fair enough, it's a bit of a grey area anyway. I'm just getting tired of moving threads around so I'll be moaning at every chance I get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 duffman_ie

You should check out www.fashionpcs.com and click on the Irish flag. They could be out of your price range but they're seriously cool.

G'luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive one of the fashion one's and have a water cooling kit
    the one thing tho there like ovens they keep the heat inside . which is kinda bad . @ 46c so ull need the fans id get a full tower case if u have the cash there mutch better .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah from what i've heard tho skyhawks are prettry crapmt, and from what i've seen they're mega pimped with cheapness :)

I'd highly recommend a Chieftec Dragon as they have excellent build quailty and very well layed out. The hard drive cooler slots are very helpfull as they cooled my h/ds from 46*c to 23*c.

You can also get the windows for the chieftecs quiet cheap aswell, i got one for the time being until i can find someone to watercut it somewhere.

Chieftec > Skyhawk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by PiE
    http://www.munstercomputers.com/acatalog/pc_cases.html

I dunno how good those cases are but they seem pretty damn cheap.

I bought the "ATX 6063-1 (Silver) USB2.0 Middle Tower 300W v2.03 P4 ATX PSU with Transparent Side Window" from munster computers, I think its good strong case but the PSU is Codegen(heard bad things about that brand). The neon light will be seperate now if you go to buy it.(I got one for free at the time:cool: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by dempseyt
    I think its good strong case but the PSU is Codegen(heard bad things about that brand

I went through 2 antec 360w psu's in 2 weeks and my codegen 340w one lasted till i got a new 550w qtec, the rails are dodgy but it works.

I'd highly recommend a Chieftec Dragon as they have excellent build quailty and very well layed out.

Ok. I take your point PPC. Just got one to build a machine for someone. Build quality is very good etc. Their bloody heavy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Yeah I have to say where weight is concerned

chieftec > skyhawk

(i.e. the chieftec is heavier)

It also depends on whether or not you like those chieftec doors. I personally don't like them at all and therefor I didn't get one of them.

If I had the cash though I would go for one of the coolermaster cases or maybe a lian-li. They look very nice

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I'm swaying towards a Chieftec case ;)

I need to sort out a few finances before i buy it but i'll let you guys know what i went for.

Yeah I'd be swayed that way after doing a build on one last night. Plenty of room, fan space etc. Still can't get over the weight of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup, the chieftec is nice, but far too heavy. Its solidly built, but it literally weighs a tonne. I remember building 2 machines of roughly similar spec, one with a chieftec and the other with a lian li. The fully built lian li machine was far lighter than the empty chieftec case ( wasn't even the full tower chieftec ). With both machines fully built, the chieftec was at least twice as heavy. I'd never get one for myself, too awkward to carry to lans. I've built a fair few machines with them now though, and build quality is decent.

Advertisement