Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Routing ADSL

• 02-03-2003 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Can anyone help me about routing my ADSL connection? I have ESAT ADSL 512 kb/s with static IP. I have an adsl modem. I rang ESAT about changing the Modem for a Router but they said the couldn't .... they gave me some lame excuse about that it wasnt when i asked for it in the begining so they cant give it to me now.

So i plan to do a network with three computers or a probably four for our office. I wsa thinking in getting one of them broadband routers .. from were you connect your modem in one side ... and the 4 PC's in the other. But I'm not sure about the compatibility issue. I know that some routers say that the modem has to go in the WAN Port .. and that the modem has to support that .. and so on. SO i'm doubting a lot about it.

I'm a medium to good user. I've done networks before but never routing. So any help, tutorials, emails ... anything will do me great.

I appreciate your help,

JamworkS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Terminolgy is probably going to get a bite messy here so form the start what eircom gave you im going to call a modem(even though it isn't quiet that) and what you want im going to call a router (even though it isn't quite that)

First off if you have a USB modem, forget about it you feiced, unless you want to buy yourself an Ethernet one, if so I can provide a site or two in England.

If you do have an Ethernet modem,(that's the black one that isn't shaped like a super leet sting ray) then your in luck. You can buy and use almost any router. You say you have a static ip address, Afaik eircom only supply Ethernet modems with those services so your should be in luck. just buy a router like this one Sit the modem on top of it and connect it up using the wan port. easy as one two three. You the configure the router to pppoe, bang in your user name and password and away you go. They really are great and when I had eircoms ADSL I kept noticing the connection going down on me, this will stop that. It also includes Nat firewall protection and some higher end ones include parental filters.

That particular model will work without and problem with eircoms service. komplett sell this model which should work just fine.

You will need a small length of cross patch cable though for connecting the modem to the router. You can purchase that linksys router from dabs.com

Btw to anybody reading this, i know the terms used aren't 100% but there's no point in needlessly confusing people

Edit: i just remembered that esat uses PPPoA, its the same protocol used by Bt so anythign bought in from england should be ok, i just can't be sure if pppoe support will work with pppoa. Most routers support both.

Advertisement