Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone going to Glastonbury?

• 02-03-2003 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Well now it's been given the green light, who's going from Ireland! I'm pretty sure I will, €160 for the weekend ticket, REM and Radiohead and Price confirmed so far, and you can rest assured it'll be a better gig than anything an Irish promoter can put on :-/

Tickets on sale March 31!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

very tempting, english women rock.

what day is it on? i'll probably go if it doesnt coincide with my holiday and leaving cert celebrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Its on over 3 days, 27-30 June. Radiohead have been officially confirmed. Not sure if REM have been offically announced yet and Prince is a very strong rumour at the moment. If REM and Prince get confirmed i may well be booking my tickets for the full weekend alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

Radiohead and REM have both been confirmed. REM will headline Friday, Radiohead on Saturday, and its been rumoured that Prince will close up on Sunday.

Queens of the Stone Age, The Coral, the Polyphonic Spree and Massive Attack are bands that look likely to be playing at the festival since they are organising UK/Europe tours before and/or after Glastonbury takes place. However, they are not comfirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,584 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

How fast is this going to sell out, would you imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

usually within a month...
    i'd definitely head back again this year but none of my mates are up for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd say that'll sell out within 2 weeks, it's going to be great this year, I can feel it in my bones!

If Massive Attack play that'd be ace, going to see them in Marlay park too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

usual the same acts as witnness with a few extra bigger ones. AudioSlave are sumoured for witnness, so would be good seeing them there too. Im gettin my ticket.

Fuc< Witnness! After hearing about last years debacle, there's not a chance in hell i'm going to any MCD organised festival!

Roll on next year when the Reading festival comes over here properly

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Glastonbury is always full of boring hippy ****.Thought it died anyway.Go to Reading/Leeds instead.

Dregin

Originally posted by dregin-x
    Glastonbury is always full of boring hippy ****.Thought it died anyway.Go to Reading/Leeds instead.

Dregin

wow what an enlightened post.
    are you actually the angst-ridden 12yr old your posts make you out to be?

• Advertisement

Reading and Leeds are very mainstream, and there always seems to be a LOT more trouble at both of those than at the "hippy" Glastonbury...

Originally posted by Kali
    are you actually the angst-ridden 12yr old your posts make you out to be?

Sadly no.Please direct me towards the offending posts and I wiill duely edit them to make them more mature and in line with your vision for the collective.

My reasons for preferance of Reading/Leeds over Glastonbury:
    1. Glastonbury is 2 days - Reading/Leeds is 3
    2. There are more stages at Reading/Leeds therefore more of a choice and deal with a far wider range of musical genres.I'm not sure where you're getting your "mainstream" claim.

The trouble associated with The Carling Weekend has only occurred in Leeds as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

Glastonbury is three days. Just because the guy who organises it (in which he runs it at a loss) was a hippie dosnt make it a "hippie festival".

Not only that, the site opens Wed morning and is open till Mon evening... thats 5 nights of fun, and theres usually stuff happening on the wed and thurs nights. (music lineup starts fri morning).
    2. There are more stages at Reading/Leeds therefore more of a choice and deal with a far wider range of musical genres.I'm not sure where you're getting your "mainstream" claim.

Have you ever been though?
    I mean theres 3 different dance areas, dance tent, experience tent (house ****e), and the glade (electronica, warp djs etc).. theres the jazzworld stage, and then the two main stages (Pyramid and Other).. for the main acts along with a Cinema field with a dolby digital setup (they showed lord of the rings amongst others last year).. theres kids areas, circus tents, New Band tents, Avalon and Leftfield tents.. the list goes on.

To say ones better than the other is a bit ridiculous, Glastonbury is about more than jumping around to music, actually on that point the only thing theres a distinct lack of is the harder punk and rock bands, because the owner doesnt want the sort of crowd that appeals to :)

Are you going this year Kali? I can't wait! Will have to toughen myself up for the camping part tho :-/

I was a bit brash with my first statement.Apologies to the offended.

No.I've never been.Went to Leeds last year and Reading the year before.The main problem I have with Glastonbury is, as Kali said, the fact that they dont bring any punk bands to the festival.The main reason I've gone to Reading/Leeds is for the concrete jungle stage(punk bands all day).At Leeds I only got the first day and so missed the Concrete Jungle on the Saturday :( but got to see NOFX and they are undeniably one of the best live bands around if you're into your circle pits :)

Anyway.Back to the point.Each to their own.If Glastonbury is your thing, all power to ya.

Dregin

Originally posted by eth0_
    Are you going this year Kali? I can't wait! Will have to toughen myself up for the camping part tho :-/

nah probably not this year (damnit) .. see my first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 spleen

I'm going. Went last year & I vow to bring my first born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

hey.. looks like prince aint playin it now :( ... prob still goin tho. tickets next monday :D ... eth0.. how are you getting there as a matter of interest... flying into bristol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

It is now been said that Dolly Parton will headline and close the festival on Sunday...

• Advertisement

Nah I'm gonna fly from shannon to Stanstead. Get the train from paddington to castle cary. Theres a free bus from there to the festival. Thats how i went last year and there was some craic on the train. Cost about 40 sterling for the train from stanstead. So its not so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

spleen mate, I have no idea why you reported this post to me but I suggest that you read the "Newbie FAQ".

Stu

Sorry bud!

Is Bristol the best place to fly to?
    I have no idea how to get to Glasto so help from people who've been there before would be ace.

I'm still trying to round up a gaggle of mates to go, I can't believe their enthusiasm to go to Sh1tnneess but they're totally underwhelmed by Glasto which looks a million times better that Witnness.

Beat your mates around the back of the head. I have been to all the witnnesses and made the mistake of going last year the week after Glasto. I'll admit the line up was impressive but the organisation was useless. Glasto crowds are way more laid back and at least the security there arent on a power trip. There is no competition. After last year i swore id never go to witnness again.

So anyone get their tickets delivered yet?

I managed to fill a vacancy left by a friends friend so am heading this year as well.. cant bloody wait looks like a great lineup.

(couldn't be arsed making a new thread)...
    Is Bristol the best place to fly to?
    I have no idea how to get to Glasto so help from people who've been there before would be ace.

Aye.. fly to bristol, and if theres 3/4 of you then a taxi straight to the site would be the best bet (will take about 40 minutes and costs less than the bus, cant remember the exact amount).. its also the quickest way.. as far as returning theres buses leaving all day monday from the site, cost £9 iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭bandy

Tickets finally arrived this morning (from TicketMaster UK)... All set - whens everyone going. We're heading over early on Thurs (flying to Bristol as usual)

Not long now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Still waiting on my tickets.

We're headin over on the wednesday, goin for the full shabang.
    Think we're goin on the boat from dun laoghaire to holyhead and then getting a train down to glasto, something like that.
    I havent been before, but some of the lads were there last year so know the score.

It sounds like an amazing weekend is ahead of me!
    I just hope to jaysus it doesnt rain...

Originally posted by fuse
    Still waiting on my tickets.

We're headin over on the wednesday, goin for the full shabang.
    Think we're goin on the boat from dun laoghaire to holyhead and then getting a train down to glasto, something like that.

oh dear. just looked at that as an alternative to flying to bristol..
    boat takes 4 hours
    train from holyhead to bristol takes 5 hours.
    9 hours travelling one-way? ouch...

flights to bristol take just under an hour... from there to glsatonbury its just under an hour and a half by taxi.. thats an extra 8 hours or so at the site (16 hours including the return trip) .. for around 20-40 euro more.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Kali
    oh dear. just looked at that as an alternative to flying to bristol..
    boat takes 4 hours
    train from holyhead to bristol takes 5 hours.
    9 hours travelling one-way? ouch...

flights to bristol take just under an hour... from there to glsatonbury its just under an hour and a half by taxi.. thats an extra 8 hours or so at the site (16 hours including the return trip) .. for around 20-40 euro more.. :)
    For anyone who leaves it to the last minute though, the ferry and train idea should still be the same price but the flights will be loads more (usually).

Advertisement