Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is nobody appalled at the proposed changes to the freedom of information act ?

Options
  • 03-03-2003 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I don't look at the politics board much and may have missed something but I expected to see some healthy bitching about the proposed changes to the freedom of information act that the government are trying to impose.
    My understanding is that among other things they want to cover their tracks by doubling the time information is exempt from the act from 5 to 10 years and to exclude tribunals and other matters from the act aswell.

As far as I can see the whole thing stinks to high heavens and should not be allowed to happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes I am but to be honest with this present bunch in power what use is it.

They've ignored the biggest protest in years about the build up to war and our sordid little role in offering assistance to what looks like a illegal unilateral oil grab in the middle east so they will damn well ignore opposition on this.

The backbenchers in FF are more interested in retaining their double jobbing of the Dual Mandate and well the opposition are weak and couldn't argue their way out of a paper bag at the moment (and thats me being kind !). This is all about hiding their expenses and making sure they aren't accountable for all the waste that is now occuring when the country is going thru a financial crisis.

To answer your final question I don't think we can do anything except maybe lobby your local politican and unless you have something "attactive" for them I doubt you will get far.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

I think this is an obviously bad act for democracy and that its being slipped under at a time when the dueal mandate and shannon/iraq are getting much of media coverage. I thought the extention to 10 years was bad enough but actually loweing tje amount of information that can be accessed is its real downfall. The chare for information is nothing new as u generally have to do that for everything......... but it should be kept affordable. Why the government have decided to change the act now is so blatently just for their own interests. Personally I believe politics should have a sense of the common good and the like, upholding democracy.....not shredding it to pieces. The orginal FOI act was decided on by all parties. It was passed in 1999.........what has changed so dramatically since then to justify these "reforms"..... they can reform all they want, just dont take a step backwards plz.

seán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

this is one weird country....
    Not even the media is giving too much thought about it.
    People just lost faith in government so they can run rampant and do whatever they like ?
    People have given up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

How much does the freedom of information act cost the taxpayer?

I was working in an organisation to which the act applied. There was 5 or 6 people filing each day to cater for this act.

Where is all this data beinfg kept?
    Storage Companies are raking it in.

There needs to be restrictions with the Freedom Of Information Act. This would enable organisations to function better.

OH - The lefties probably have conspiracy teorys - the act needed review.

Advertisement