Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire surround info

Options
  • 03-03-2003 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

i wanna replace one of these, its a kind of old out of date one, rock effect.

how do you remove em, and how easy are they to replace?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you mean the fireback and hearth or the mantlepiece / surround / extended heart?

Kango / sledge / hammer & chisel come to mind.

If you take out the fireback make sure you replace it with a special fireback and special cement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

just the surround, the whole shibang is there, i just want to get rid of the rock effect surround.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

As victor says, just hammer the hell out of it. No great technical difficulty at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by alienhead
    just the surround, the whole shibang is there, i just want to get rid of the rock effect surround.
    If it is that cheapy 1970s polished slabs of randomly shaped rock, it should come off fairly easily, just wedge a chisel in behind and lift it off. Just think of them as big (heavy!) wall tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

the 70's has alot to answer for

• Advertisement
Advertisement