Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA changes to Persian Gulf schedules

Options
  • 03-03-2003 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

British Airways have just made sweeping changes to their routes to the Persian Gulf and Middle East - the timing may be significant,at least I reckon it could be

Following changes in travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to British nationals travelling to Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, and Jordan, British Airways is making adjustments to its schedule for the whole of the Gulf region.

Flights to Muscat are suspended until further notice.

Oman is a staging area for large numbers of UK troops, are they suspending flights because of passenger numbers or terrorist threats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I would reckon that they are anticipating a drop in passenger numbers after the "game kicks off" in the gulf. There was a story in yesterdays paper (SBP) that American Airways will fire 10% of their workforce here when war breaks out as well.

Nice to see that "Cowboy George & Tony the Poodles show" is going to be felt by other innocents apart from those in Iraq eh :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GavinS

Yeah I suspected that the reasoning behind it might be an anticipated drop in passenger numbers - but I'm not sure.

My gf just went back to Dubai today (staff travel), and she rang me from Heathrow. She went to staff travel in Terminal 4, and very unusually, the check-in lady not only asked if she was returning home, but asked to see her residents visa for the Emirates (ive been there 3 times and they never asked me anything of the kind, and never asked my gf either)

Not only that but the whole thing about staying in Larnaca instead of Dubai overnight - thats very unusual - it means they are actually losing money on the flight.

As well as that all the BA flights to and from Dubai this week were full to capacity - and thats triple 7s. So why halve the number of trips per day?

Something is not right.

Advertisement