Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mtv and music goes political on us

Options
  • 03-03-2003 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

so you've seen the ads for this "mtv forum on war" with clips of the last gulf war being shown while rage against the machine's freedom plays in the background. (i think its that tune, someone correct me). looked very cool, editing wise. tony blair is going to answer questions from cross section of europe's youth ?? sounds great if it's going to be transmitted live and with genuine youths. i'd really like to see if tony is 'hip to the bone' and on the same level as the young people. something tells me no.

while we are on the pending war situation, has anyone seen or heard george michael's anti-war song? again, its advertised heavily with MTV and looks like its going to set the channel's political view on the current events. same way Sky News is pro-war, MTV is choosing its side in this debate whether war is the answer?

this was inevitable since a large group of musicians, popular or not, have voiced their opinions against the war in the Musicians United to Win Without War campaign. looks genuine and several popular artists have expressed their views on the situation.

again, while we are on the subject, bill clinton thinks he's a leader and that we should follow him. bono received some red ribbon type of thing from Chirac last week and recently has been nominated for 2003 nobel peace prize so it wouldn't surprise us that he's anti-war.

'blair sincerely wrong' he says and that's the same phrase MTV wants to get at in their forum on war. Its on this Friday at 9pm. grab a beer and watch it hoping the kids make fun of blair and make him cry on tv.

adnans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

MTV should always be Anti-War, after all, War kills innocent babies and children. No matter how justified they think it is.

But MTV sold its soul to the pop market years ago. I give them zero respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

MTV is a load of ****-I wouldnt be suprised if we hear sound gaps in the questions because the language got heated(or even if it didnt,seeing as I have seen MTV edit words like Guns etc )MTV doesnt like anything to get out of control-I would say its highly likely it will not be live,which defeats the whole purpose.

I wonder will Bush be doing the same in the states?Doubt it.

As for the George Micheal song has he made a new one or is it the old anti Bush song that was out a few months ago?It was an enjoyable video but it bombed in the charts,so maybe he is wary of mixing politics and music.
    Suprisingly back when he released it the media scoffed at him and seemed to be on the side of Blair,if notexactly singing the praises of Bush.Nowadays Blair is public enemy number 1 with the press.Though TBF he has fcuked up that country so much there should have been calls for him to resign years ago.

Anyway Im off topic.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this isn't the first time MTV has done something like this. they had one with Colin Powell in the states last year about the war in Afghanistan. basically it was a load of **** so i will not be tuning in on Friday to watch George Bush's lap dog make an idiot of himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

American TV networks are owned by the US government and or back handed by them to filter the truth to their tastes. Thus using the most powerful mode of communication and propaganda to brainwash the average Joe Soap. MTV has long been under the thumb of the US government, even the UK and European branches. So we all get fed the same filth and greed.

....my rant is over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Megadude
    American TV networks are owned by the US government and or back handed by them to filter the truth to their tastes. Thus using the most powerful mode of communication and propaganda to brainwash the average Joe Soap. MTV has long been under the thumb of the US government, even the UK and European branches. So we all get fed the same filth and greed.

er.... its taking an anti war stance, therefore its taking an anti US Government stance.

anyway as has been said before and i ranted about it in another thread: MTV is a load of pants and sold its soul years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

mtv are a load of tossers. NoFx have the right idea - take the fukkers to court for playing your music YEAH!!! screw the crowd of souless sellout diks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

pop culture shouldnt have the right to broadcast their views on sensitive issues to masses of impressionalbe kids.

that goes for pop stars, actors and the rest.

i hope everyone gives blair a real hard time at his forum with mtv, he's such a useless american puppet, too scared to make a stand like germany / france despite the 1mil strong anti war march in london. tosser.

but thats just my impression.

anyways, as i was saying, get back on the fence mtv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Just so you know there was a mention of a question (about alterior motives regarding oil which,of course,was denied by Blair) asked at this debate on Sky News Active yesterday,showing,typically,that MTV was much too afraid to broadcast it live.
    MTV is the worst channel ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by The Gopher
    MTV is the worst channel ever.
    They seem to define "music" as "political crap that everybody's been seeing for months on other, proper channels, and that people watching MTV probably don't care about."

Advertisement