Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The league! Is it over allready???

• 03-03-2003 4:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

so is it me or does anybody else think that the league is over
    Arsenal with an eight point lead(ok utd have a game in hand) with utd with the much harder run in.
    they have to play leeds liverpool at home and newcastle, arsenal away
    there are some tough cookies to crack and especially the away matches
    me thinks that arsenal will beat them at highbury and then end there league campaign there concentrating at europe from there on in

any views. i just think its beyond utd at this stage given their poor domestic form and the balance of power has definately shifted to the north london side

then if utd win the european cup then the season will be a success even if they finish 3rd in the league

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

UNITED HAVE
    Mar 1 Man Utd P - P Leeds Postponed
    Mar 15 Aston Villa v Man Utd 15.00
    Mar 22 Man Utd v Fulham 15.00
    Apr 5 Man Utd v Liverpool 15.00
    Apr 12 Newcastle v Man Utd 15.00
    Apr 19 Man Utd v Blackburn 15.00
    Apr 21 Arsenal P - P Man Utd Postponed
    Apr 26 Tottenham v Man Utd 15.00
    May 3 Man Utd v Charlton 15.00
    May 11 Everton v Man Utd 16.00

ARSENAL HAVE
    Mar 15 Blackburn v Arsenal 15.00
    Mar 22 Arsenal P - P Everton Postponed
    Apr 5 Aston Villa v Arsenal 15.00
    Apr 12 Arsenal v Southampton 15.00
    Apr 19 Middlesbrough v Arsenal 15.00
    Apr 21 Arsenal P - P Man Utd Postponed
    Apr 26 Bolton v Arsenal 15.00
    May 3 Arsenal v Leeds 15.00
    May 11 Sunderland v Arsenal 16.00

TOON HAVE
    Mar 15 Charlton v Newcastle 15.00
    Mar 22 Newcastle v Blackburn 15.00
    Apr 6 Everton v Newcastle 15.00
    Apr 12 Newcastle v Man Utd 15.00
    Apr 19 Fulham v Newcastle 15.00
    Apr 21 Newcastle v Aston Villa 15.00
    Apr 26 Sunderland v Newcastle 15.00
    May 3 Newcastle v Birmingham 15.00
    May 11 West Brom v Newcastle 16.00

Newcastle have easiest run IMO
    They are not out off it yet
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Newcastle, I'm delighted to say, have definitely got the easiest run-in, and if we can beat Man U on April 12th and keep up our good form generally, 2nd place is well within our reach - I'm definitely confident of beating Man U in that upcoming game, for the first time in years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

The league is far from over. 8 point difference but if United win their game in hand and beat Arsenal in that game the difference is down to two points. While I do not think they are dead certs to beat Arsenal, I do not think Arsenal are dead certs either. I would make Arsenal slight favourites. Even that aside I would not think it is over. There are about ten games left now and alot can happen in that time. Arsenal or United could suffer an injury crisis or lack of form. Apparently Henry has only not started one League & Euro cup game this season. He could be overdoing it and pick up an injury, and he would be a big loss to the gunners. I think arsenal are the better side at the minute, but I would not be calling time on the league yet. I think both teams will drop points before the season is out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

arsenal have nine games left
    and henry is still on fire alltough he didnt score yesterday he made the 2 goals and hit the post!!

people are always saying that its too early to tell when the league is over and perhaps it is but time is definatley running out for utd
    if they drop points against leeds then it might (and will) be curtains!!!

and u know what the excuses will be

"OH WE WERE CONCENTRATING ON EUROPE ALL ALONG"

yea right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

ahhh who could forget......

20th October 1996: Newcastle 5 - 0 Manchester United

Scorers: Peacock, Ginola, Ferdinand, Shearer and Albert. ManUre's biggest defeat in 12 years.

I think newcastle will finish second. Hopefully after drubbing united 5-0 in the process ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

GRRRRRR,

I swear to god you have my blood boiling Jank, so many of you paint every "man u supporter" with the same brush and quite frankly I am starting to get very sick of it and the petty team rivalry on this board.

What ever team win it, will win it because overall they were the best and most consistent team, any idiot who cannot see that should just keep their mouth shut.

Any idiot should also see this when commenting about another idiot saying it.

It is not over, who knows Henry may get injured in his next game, one of the lads could sleep with his team m8's woman and cause a stir in the Dressing room.

There is so much that goes on in open and closed doors that it is hard to say without a doubt who will win it with still quite a few games to play.

Oh and this is the second thread on this subject in two weeks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Totally agree Samba. IMO this board is just a setup for different fans to have a go at each other. The thred topic is silly considering how long is left in the campaign. As a liverpool fan and a fan of good football in general I say may the best (football) team win Manu/Newc or Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer Samba u beat me to it about Jank. Getting mightily pissed off with people trying to put words in my mouth.

Also sick of the petty squables that certain people on this board have with eachother. I know football is more than a game ( :p ) but it aint really worth it. Besides, you aint gonna change the other persons mind about things that they have their minds set in.

A bit of banter is always welcome or a debate on a topic but none of the crap u see day in day out on this board plz.

(all above is my opinion yadayadayada)

i dont think its stupid at all
    Arsenal may have a break down or whatever may happen!!
    i totally agree with u there put as i said before TIME is running out each week there are less and less games and if utd don't start performing FAST in the domestic front well then they can kiss the premiership goodbye for another season.
    if the boot was on the other foot then i would be hearing the exact same from man utd supporters if not worse (remember 1998):D

and as i said before if they drop points against leeds do u honestly think deep deep down they will win the it BEARING in mind that they still have to play the pool at home and then face their two hardest away trips this season aginast newcastle and arsenal!!

i think not!!

im not stirring up $hit. just being honest
    sometimes the truth hurts:D

Again Jank you are going on the persumption that Arsenal are not going to slip up at all.

And you completely missed my point so Im not even going to bother

• Advertisement

ya they will slip up might lose a game or 2 even but so will everyone else and if u look at the run in of the top teams utd have the harder run

i utd win the league fair play to them they deserve it but we have to live in the real world. like utd's current form is less than brilliant now is it!!
    go to any utd message board and see for ur self the silence that surrounds the league debate of who will win

so samba do u think that utd can catch up??

Sigh,

did I Once say they would win it, I simply said that it was too early to call it "Over" Because it is not.

Time will tell, unlike you I have no solid opinion at this stage who will win it.

arsenal have nine games left

That is a full quarter of a season. After the first quarter of a season Liverpool were the only unbeaten team left and were threatening to run away with it. Now they are around 7th. Alot can happen and it is never going to be curtains this early in the year. by the way Uniteds form before Sunday was pretty good having beaten Juve home and away, and winning a couple of league matches on the trot. By the way you will not hear a real united fan dismiss the league saying they were concentrating on europe. We want the league. Also I think most of us wanted the Worthington Cup on Sunday, not because it was the Worthington Cup, but because it was Liverpool in the Final, and that is such a big grudge match. Also you never want to see your team lose, but its the nature of football fans to make excuses and defend the teams they support when they do. It is not only United fans that do that. I am not tryin to start a flame war but if you look back to when Liverpool got put out of the European cup you will see alot of their fans bemoaning how tough their group was etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I swear to god you have my blood boiling Jank, so many of you paint every "man u supporter" with the same brush and quite frankly I am starting to get very sick of it and the petty team rivalry on this board.

totally agree with this and your other comments Samba. This board is starting to get very very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

[apologies to daveg I did mix you up with someone else. In a grumpy mood today :)]

Back to topic, until I see Patrick V lift the Premiership trophy over his head I will not be convinced that the Gooners have the League. They are in a very strong position but football is a funny old game.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think Arsenal have the class to go on and win it, but Man U will probably do better in Europe, its a funny old game.

But what's more interesting is Leeds' run-in, they need 3 wins to ensure survival, and they have some bloody tough games. Can't be arsed putting up their complete run-in, but its very difficult.

well we shall see what happens in the remaining games
    did ye read in the paper that pady powers are already paying off bets for the title given arsenal have won it already.
    they must have been reading my mind:rolleyes:

anyway as i said before only time will tell
    and one more comment utd' s domestic form has been kinda poor of late they have lost two and drawn two of their last four,

lost v liverpool
    draw v bolton
    lost v arsenal
    draw v man city
    won v birmingham

granted in europe they have been very impressive(i hold my hands up to that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CHRIS GREER

Edging away just a bit from the question here, do you ever feel nostalgic for the days when 7-10 teams had a "puncher's chance" of winning the League, and do you ever see those days returning?

>7-10 teams had a "puncher's chance" of winning the League,

Generally, you wouldn't get that many in with a realistic chance at this stage, even in the 60s/70s/80s. There are 3 this season, and thats fairly interesting.

Daveg firstly if you don't like this board please leave. All I see from you every couple of posts is "I was a mod on another board, we stamped this and that out". This board is moderated to a degree if things get out of hand then they are dealt with. If you think this board is bad check out the one at Football365

WTF is this about. I have never modded a board before nor have I ever given out about anyone's modding (including yours). Have you mixed me up with someone else ? I have also sent you a PM. Can you explain your comments ?

• Advertisement

My point about the team rivalry was not that of day in day out bantering which your gonna get, besides thats healthy :)

And i think what Daveg was trying to agree with was that, when it falls below that and goes deep into the realm of Playground slagging, then we have reached a new low :)

Nothing wrong with your modding or Vaggabonds, its actually very level headed and relaxed which is a good thing, otherwise there would have been about 50 bans handed out in the past month :D

Jank, It does look like they are going to win it, but it simply is not all over.

United won nothing last year and for one good reason, they weren't hungry enough for it, maybe they will see that at this stage that they are pulling another repeat of last seasons form in the League and you are right, time will tell and may the best team win.

Gandalf - no problem... we all make mistakes.

To get back on topic I think Arsenal will probably win the league - but I don't think they have won it yet. If united pull another run off like we were having before the FA cup game against arsenal :rolleyes: and manage to beat Arsenal then it will be very interesting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If any of you do the pools you know how unpredictable that soccer is, to say Arsenal HAVE it won now is an ass of a comment.

They are in the lead but they could just as easily mess up with 2 or 3 draws.

They should not, but to say the league is over is daft.

If the FA cite Henry like they have done Bergkamp before this for his kick the last day then he could miss 3 matches, I have heard nothing about this but it once again shows the double standards of the FA.

BTW - if someone wants to give me the results of the last 9 games then I would be delighted to take them off your hands ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yop the same can be said for United, I personally as a Arsenal supporter view Newcastle as the bigger threat as they are gaining a bit of momentum at the moment while United struggle.

Tomorrows game against Leeds is absolutely vital for Sir Also & Company with regards to the League.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i agree, newcastle have 3rd place in their own hands imo.

I think manu will come third unless they really stick a mini run together...

Now last time i heard of a bookie paying out this early was when man u were 8 points or so clear and a bookie payed out on the fact that manu had won it. Arsenal went on to pip manu at the post that season.

Hopefully we'll see a repeat :)
    And if Newcastle end up winning it/ ahead of manu, i for somereason wouldnt mind to much. I think newcastle have worked hard and played some v nice footie.

(still prefer if manu won it tho, DUH :) )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So is the league still over??

Me thinks not! Fair play to Blackburn, are the wheels spinning off the arse camp, poor performance mid week, could have lost against Roma, beaten by Blackburn now seaman and donkey keown injured. Could they possibly not win the league!!

BTW - United were crap today, very lucky to have beat Villa, on performance Newcastle look the biggest threat to the arse now. And if Utd keep playing the shiiite football they showed today then they deserve nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say Man Utd fancy thier chances now but it could be Newcastle who stop them and rescue Arsenal...also
    with a gap opening up between 3rd and 4th, its going to be a real dog fight for the last CL spot with Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and maybe Charlton, Blackburn, Spurs and the Saints all in with a chance.

Just noticed 'Pool have a tricky run in...:(

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by yop
    BTW - United were crap today, very lucky to have beat Villa, on performance Newcastle look the biggest threat to the arse now. And if Utd keep playing the shiiite football they showed today then they deserve nothing
    We still won though yop. Thats the main thing. Who gives a fúck about the performance if you get 3 points in the bag? I'm certainly not complaining, they could play like that until the end of the season and win and I would be delighted.

I know it would be great to win, even though I still think we will not, but stepping back from the fact that I support United, I love to see an entertaining team take win the compo, perfect world!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by yop
    I know it would be great to win, even though I still think we will not, but stepping back from the fact that I support United, I love to see an entertaining team take win the compo, perfect world!! :D

And that team will be Newcastle ;)

Newcastle are 16-1 on Paddy Power.com to win the title. Worth a few quid investment even if I am a United Fan.

People are just trying to be anoraks tipping Newcastle. They haven't a chance. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Mathematically , I think you'll find they do ;)

Also with Arsenal and Newcastle both out CL they will be concentrating mostly on PL so Utd. will find it even harder to win (IMO)

Bateman that is one of your more ridiculous statements. They are only 5 points behind, and Arsenal have hit a bit of a poor patch. 8 games to go. I am not saying they are going to win it but I do believe odds of 16-1 are worth a punt. I also might check out their odds for next season because I think Woodgate was possibly the last piece of the jigsaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Woodgate is not the last piece in the jigsaw they need someone strong beside him and Bramble doesn't cut the mustard.

• Advertisement

I disagree, it took him a while to settle but I think he has been good lately. Time will tell.

Andy O Brien cuts the mustard, although I wouldn't swap any partnership for Terry & Gallas at the mo. I agree, and have said it here before, that Woodgate was the final piece of the jigsaw.

In fairness, I don't think many people seriously go for Newcastle. Arsenal are the best team in England, and United will have thei usual late season charge, but I think Arsenal will win it because of the disappointment of going out of the CL. Looking at the quality of both though, Newcastle just aren't going to breach it this season. Its not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Newcastle are surpassing my expectations I didn't expect them to keep the challenge up but if they beat Mancs then it will very interesting. A great win for Chels everyone played espacially Zola and Lampard, Stanic is becmoing a poyet his 6th of the season, he may not be pacey but hers very dogged and has got us vital goals against Westbrom and this week, not a bad all and all.:D

/me chuckles

See what can happen, even in such a short space of time jank :)

Advertisement