Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband some new info?

Options
  • 03-03-2003 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

some info about b.b. from someone in the know.

Q. What will be the connection ratio for eircom?
    A. Connection ratio? compared to other broadband suppliers or are you
    talking contention ratios through our network.

Q. How much would a 3hr game of, for example, Unreal Tournament 2003 use in my 4 gig cap?
    A. As far as the amount of bandwidth games use - that would be down to how well the game is coded and how much data it needs
    to pass back and forth for multiplayer.

Q. anyone on i-stream residental package been charged for going
    over the cap limit?
    A. No one yet has been charged for going over the limit but this is now changing. the sytems are in place to do so and this will be
    taking effect.

Q. Do you know of any tools available to track the number of bytes sent and received?
    A. nope. depending upon which PPPoe client you use that may actually track
    it. The Istream client im not sure about. I think there will be a web page in the future to log onto to check your own stats.

Q. Can Eircom turn off the "Interleave" option on a per-port basis?
    A. Interleaving wont be switched off on a per port basis. Interleaving is used to allow higher integrity of digital data transmission across copper pairs.

Q. will there be a MODEM in the D.I.Y deal?
    A. The self install product should be available in the next month or 2. It can be ordered with or without a modem
    .......................................................................................................

these are the same sort of questions all of you have asked and
    After some deliberation, do we have any answers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

For keeping track of data transmitted I would recommend
    DU Meter Get It Here
    It works with nearly all types of networks and I use it for dialup at the moment and it works perfectly. Also keeps track of connection time and transfer speeds plus a few other handy features. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The contention ratio for the new eircom product will be 48:1.
    In other words twice what is now. Half the product for half the cost - good deal huh?

MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by god's toy

these are the same sort of questions all of you have asked and
    After some deliberation, do we have any answers?

These questions have all been addressed and answered in the past. The person you were talking to isnt very well informed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by Dustaz
    These questions have all been addressed and answered in the past. The person you were talking to isnt very well informed.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

i know!!!! don't you get it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

i know!!!! don't you get it??

..emmmm:confused:

Advertisement