Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

end of free 3rd level education - looks serious this time

Options
  • 03-03-2003 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

hi
    it seems that in their wisdom, bertie and his hench-men are ending free acees to 3rd level education:

i think the basic idea is that you have to pay your college fees once you start earning. i just knew they would do this the year i was set to start :mad:

i hate the establishment here, its all so sneeky and slimey, and they (the gov.) really couldnt give a toss about the wishes of the citizens (eg: backing bushes war + letting US war machine us shannon). this is just another example of the total disregard the irish government have for us. and it dosnt matter if its FF, FG, PDs, LB, GP, SF or whoever in power, they are all just looking out for them and their greasey little pals!!:mad:

and they wonder why no young people vote:rolleyes:

write to you local tds, if you think it will make a differance (it wont by the way)screw them anyway

bertie wants to do it because graduates earn on average 57% more or something, but when we will be paying this money back will we be earning these massive amounts?? NO!!

irish times artical on the subject if your interested

well thats my rant over with

cheers

ferdi

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I saw the article this morning and i'm sorry to say that it's ourselves that i'm pissed off with. In 1969 as everyone knows, there were demonstrations all over the US and Europe against injustice in general.

Are we too lazy to band together and protest? I was talking to a friend from France who said that in a french university "If the soup was bad, you would see 500 people outside protesting or maybe a boycott".

It's a damn shame that we've let the government have a free run at it. Even more damaging was the inference by 'Fungus' Hourihane that there was nothing really wrong with fees. Scandalous however was Cowboy Cosgrove's wholehearted support for the imposition of third level fees. All this exposed was the rot in UCD's managerial structures.

Had people like Hourihane and the other gang in DCU not been trying to weaken USI by their withdrawl campaigns, then USI might have been in a position where there could be major opposition. If USI was as strong as it ought to be (possible considering the 70%+ vote for keeping UCDSU in USI) then real action could be taken.

Perhaps USI helped by the SU's from major colleges could approach IFUT (Lecturer's Trade Union) and arrange something akin to a general strike where lecturers and students go on strike in protest. It's probably the only way to stop the fees coming back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah, i put it in two places in a moment of enthusiasim.

red alert, i totally agree. we, irish youth, are the laziest bunch of dont give a toss ar$eholes anywhere. we b!tch and moan and then do nothing and i dont see any change in this mindset any time soon.

ferdi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'm closing this thread because it's a duplicate post. You can all move over to politics :). G'wan, GET!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement