Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my PC, do's and dont's?

• 03-03-2003 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, good people. I have decided to update my Gateway G6 PC. It has a Pentium 2 350mhz processor and 64mb of Ram and thats where I want to start. Can anybody help me because I have a very limited technical know-how and I would like to upgrade to 128mbs and a pentium 3/4 600mhz+. Will this cost me much and is it hard to do myself? I have a friend whom Im sure will help and he has quite a good knowledge of PC's. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

First thing to do is read your mother board manual. As far as I know your board is at most an slot1 which has fsb of either 66 or 100 Mhz at most, which will give you a PII450/500 if its a 100 Mhz. Your memory is probably PC100 or PC133 sd ram. You need to know which. Once you know the memory type there is no problem as long as you have a spare slot. With regard to costs you should pick up a PII500 and the memory for under 60 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Read the hw tweaking/modding charter please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If you are unsure about you RAM just buy the PC133. If the system requires it will just run at 100MHz anyway and the price difference shouldn't be more than a couple of €.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If you are unsure about you RAM just buy the PC133. If the system requires it will just run at 100MHz anyway and the price difference shouldn't be more than a couple of €.

1st or all, dont do this! The board you have is an intel BX (350's are usually 100fsb), which will not post with PC133. PC100 only unless you run an older 66fsb chip or celeron.

Depending on the revision of the board, you may be able to run a 700 or even 800Mhz cpu, but only on a 100fsb. And those chips are VERY hard to get

when you boot your PC, go to bios and note the 1st group of characters before the decimal point in your BIOS number.

Go to intel.com and put the number in the search engine. it should giev you the board that gatteway have used and thus the max CPU you can use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Go to crucial.com and use the memory selector tool to find out what kind of RAM your system can take. It knows about all the major branded PCs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thanks for all the advice. I got a PC100 64mb in Maplin and it works fine. Cheers.

Advertisement