Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Card Driver problems

Options
  • 03-03-2003 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

A friend got me to install a network card to her PC. Its p133 with win95

However, whenever i install the drivers from the disk, the device doesnt work. Its a cheap stanard 10/100 Lan Card. Ive followed the instructions again and again and i havent got a clue what the prob is. The problem when i check "System" in control panel is
    "device failure" try changing device

Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

need a lot more info

BTW can you shove it into a winxp or win2000 machine , what happens, note the irq and i/o range it picks up in win2000 or winxp if you gt it to work and try to replicate in win95

95 does not really do irq sharing unlike newer os's

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Muck
    95 does not really do irq sharing unlike newer os's
    Err. Doesn't that mean Windows 95 is not compatible with PCI bus machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Try switching the IRQ - some old non plug & play cards are fairly picky. Try 3 or 5 (5 may be occupied by the sound card given that it's an old machine). Or 4. Shouldn't make a difference but for old cards it does. For i/o range, try a few combos from 300 up to 360. It'll take an age but one of the combinations will probably work. So much hassle TBH. It's been years since I had any dealings with old cards (I like 3com905s, I do) so the above advice may be a little flaky.

( I hope it isn't one of those NE2000 cards - if it is, try toggling the switch on the outside as well (double the possible combinations, lovely)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try a different slot on the Board

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Try a different slot on the Board

agreed - if you look through the manual you will (probably) see a line saying something like "card requires a PCI BUS MASTERING SLOT..." some old pentium boards did not have these.

Every board (virtually) that supported the P166 MMX has at lesat one of these slots. A lot of earlier boards did too.

All new boards have BUS MASTERING for ALL pci slots but the old ones usually have it at slot 1 only.

Rearrange the cards and see if this solves the problem.

tribble
    ps also look in the bios to see if you can enable a newer pci spec eg 2.1

• Advertisement
Advertisement