Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W2000 Sp3

• 03-03-2003 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Just got my hands on W2000 SP3. Anyone have any problems with it before I go and install it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

no problems whatsoever. i'd say install away! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

no probs, except somtimes if you insert a cd, it wont realise it!

This has happen on a few, very different machines with me, with different drives, so I guess its the OS. The only way to solve it is to log on and off again. Refresh doesnt even solve it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I can't say I ever had a problem with it at all, but I was only using it for a couple of months before upgrading to XP. I definitely didn't have that CD drive problem that SouperComputer is referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Only thing bad about it is that it's not yet passed testing by Citrix Metaframe, so don't put it on a Citrix server.
    I always work on the rule that if you don't need a service pack don't install it. you'd be better off getting a list of fixes from Micro$oft and if none of the fixes apply to you then don't apply service pack.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

I think sp3 was really the first 'XP' service pack. Sp3 does a lot more in the background and tends to stuff you do not want it to do like contact microsoft. I got around this by using a piece of software that allows me to install SP3 even though 'I dont agree' with the licence agreements ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yeah I read about that automatic update crap. Would you have a link to that software ando?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I doubt that running the utility actually does anything to Sp3, just allows you to install it without ticking the "we can watch you box" (so you haven't given them the rights in the agreement, though you'd have a devilish time proving it in court). I'm totally correctable on that but I'm pretty sure that's what The Register had to say about the agreement initially.

I just unticked the box in the "Automatic Updates" applet in Control Panel after installing SP3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by ding
    Would you have a link to that software ando?

http://www.andoeire.utvinternet.com/enabler.zip ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Do not install SP3...unless you need the networking security updates (which are uneccessary unless you've got some important stuf on your machine (which should be backed up anyways)).

It's caused me untold amounts of grief. Re-formatting this week after a month with it on.

SP2 is grand until SP4 comes out (the sp4 beta has been released already I hear)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Could live without grief. Its only on a home lan so think I could live without the hassle. Have machine ghosted so if I'm feeling extermly bored some night might do it for the crack.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I've never had any problems with any of the win2k service packs on any pc.

Even SP4 beta works ok (though it still hasn't solved the USB multiple LUN problem i'm having (it works in XP and ME). The final release should fix it though.

tribble

Advertisement