Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derbies

• 03-03-2003 11:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

christ did anybody see vila versus birminghin city.
    good head butt from dublin on savage. Any martial-art expert would be pleased about it. The game was played as it should have been for a derby, full of passion and commitment. almost too much which begs the question what do u think is the biggest derby in the world

celtic v rangers
    lazio v roma
    boca juniors v river plate
    man city v man utd
    etc etc or even the other big games not technical derbies

baca v real madraid
    liverpool v man utd
    etc

ye know what im on about

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Imo

Real V Atletico (Always a brilliant game)
    Rangers V Celtic (Always Full of passion)
    Liv V Everton (If only to see the Toffee's play out of thier skins)
    Manu V Manc (As Rangers V Cletic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dont forget Bohs-Rovers. Cant wait to see the Southampton-Portsmouth games next season. The pompey wont know what hit them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Depends on what ingrediants you consider makes a great derby match.
    I wonder though what marks Liverpool v Everton or Man U v Man C different than a derby in any other major city in the world...........
    My guess is not very much.
    I include the Bohs v Shamrock Rvs in this (Iv been to one of these and it was a very passionat affair indeed).

I think there are only a few derbies in the world that truely have that bit extra to make em "special"

Celtic v Rangers
    Real v Barcelona (granted they arent in the same city)
    Boca v Riverplate
    Roma v Latzio (think this is the one in Italy where the fascist and the reds tend to support opposite teams)

Granted alot of the derbies are "special" for alot of the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Biggest derby this side of south america has got to be Celtic v Rangers. But i believe some of the south american ones can be rather exciting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

boca juniors v river plate

The country is so poor all the people have is football and it means a hell of a lot.

Heard of a suporter climbing up a tree in his teams grounds and refusing to come down until his demands were met.

Something to do with selling it's best player I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The Liverpool V everton games are class and it is the only Derby in the Premiership where they do not segregate the fans of each team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I can't believe no-one's mentioned the Seville derby from Sunday just gone. The capacity had to be limited and away fans completely banned, due to the history of bad blood in the game, including a Sevilla fan attacking Betis' keeper Prats earlier this season, and Betis fans throwing flares on the away fans below them last season.

This is what derbies are all about, passion going over boiling point, sometimes we need to be reassured that modern footballers really do give a ****, that they're not just turning up to be paid. Dion Dublin proved that, although he'll feel a little ashamed this morning.

Boca-River, and Roma-Lazio were both featured on a hoolie documentary just before the WC last year, but Seville-Betis is definitely the biggest in Spain. Lately the Spanish league has been more entertaining than the Premiership.

And don't for get Bohs-Rovers. There is a cracking derby on in our own city, and most people couldn't be arsed. If you go to one eL game next season, make it this one. Although with teams playing each other 4 times, the rivalry might start to be diluted. Go before this happens. Week ending 27th April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

That Spanish 'passion' sounds more like hatred/hooliganism.

There is a distinct line imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Bateman

Boca-River, and Roma-Lazio were both featured on a hoolie documentary just before the WC last year

...that was bloody mad!!!
    I haven't seen anything as bad as them myself.

but I'd give the trophy to everton-liverpool cause the players are the only ones willing to spill blood and not the fans.
    That's the way it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sevilla - Betis is a pretty big one alright.
    Barce / Espanyol can get heated every now and then too, and as for Barce/Real Madrid, well they threw a pigs head at Figo and they were banned from using the Nou Camp for three matches I think.
    I remember seeing that Hooligan progam, and the rivalry between Roma and Lazio supporters is pretty scary. Especially the Lazio fans, they're mad. Total fascists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The basque derby is a beast of a game

Atheltic Bilbao vs Real Sociedad

Their local rivals but the tension is upped by the fact that Sociedad decided to drop their non-Basque player ban (starting with John Aldridge AFAIK) and Bilbao have kept theirs.

Bilbao thinks Sociedad is cheating and questions it's Basque pride and Sociedad don't respond too well.

Spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Juve Vs Inter Milan is known as THE Italian derby...a lot of history between both clubs...always a cracker, insane fans etc.
    Of course Football Italia aint on Channel 4 no more. Damn shame.
    The Spaniards/Basques etc are definitely on a par with the hardcore Italian supporters : pure passion/hatred...fight everyone, burn everything. Nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    Of course Football Italia aint on Channel 4 no more. Damn shame

it's on British Eurosport these days

i like watching the Barca - Réal Madrid games. complete madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

yeah, i was looking forward to watching Juve V Inter the other day thinking i had British Eurosport...of course i then realised it was normal eurosprt i had. bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I watched parts of Juve-Inter and thought it was a pretty tame affair. Not much noise from the crowd even. Part of this is due to the fact that the Delle Alpi is a crap ground with no atmosphere, built especially for WC90, both Torino fans and Juve fans were against moving from their smaller, more atmospheric grounds in the centre of the city to share this vast empty lifeless ground way outside the city on a ringroad. It was on at the same time as the Sevilla derby, which was its usual fiery self.

Being a big Athletic fan, I have attended the Basque derby, and its quite a friendly affair off the pitch, with little or no segregation. The Sky Sports live derby this season, when Athletic magically won 3-0 was a fiery affair on the pitch (as usual, hard but fair), but the comeraderie between both sets of fans was excellent, again bearing out the fact that there is no hatred bwtween the teams.

I have also attended Athletic games against Real Madrid, and off the pitch it was quite tame, as Madrid fans just don't travel north for those ones. Although the array of objects fired at the opposing players is amusing.

Advertisement