Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Subjects

Options
  • 04-03-2003 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I was thinking recently about dropping Geography and taking up Business Org. as I've heard it's pretty easy. I'm a bit worried though that it's too late in the year to do this.

Has anyone changed subjects so late in the year? What do you think I should do? Geography isn't really that hard but it's boring as hell and I would really prefer to do Business.

*edit* btw I'm in 5th year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I do both and I dont think Id recommend it - business may seem interesting but the course is quite large and it gets boring quickly. In geog at least theres some variation, map reading / social geog / physical geog etc are all quite different from each other.
    Plus youve already done all the physical geog by this stage so youve the hardest part of the course over with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Physical the hardest?!? Eh, methinks different, have you even done regional yet!?! I'm not even gonna bother with the physical unless it's rivers! Will take the aerial photo instead.

Regional is mostly common sense - ie the mediterranean region has a warm climate, poor agriculture in inland areas, high tourism rates etc plus at least its semi interesting.

Erosion / Abrasion etc i find horribly dull and annoying to learn off, which in my mind makes it the 'harder' section :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by richindub2
    Regional is mostly common sense
    lol @ this..
    regional geography is learning off huge amounts of information on countries.. it's probably the longest question on the paper..
    you have to learn off at least 2 countries and in the exam divide them into their regions (Eg. Lombardy, Peninsula and Alps for Italy)
    Discuss each region under physical environment headings and socio-economic headings (primary, secondary, tertiary industries)..
    and it's a question you HAVE to do.

if people who dont do geog were asked to describe the main economic activities / physical properties of the mediterranean region (or any other major european area) i imagine most of them would be able to go into enough detail to get a high C grade at least, hence common sense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Wow thanks for the help!

I'd suggest you take up business outside school. It's really easy, but boring! Take a chapter a week, a few grinds and an easter course and your there!

Back to geo: sure it's common sense but without the facts and figures x% increase or x% of export value, etc you won't get a lot of marks! What I intend to study for the question:

Italy & Norway - Divide into regions
    Tourism
    Core & Industrial

4 Topics, 1 will surely appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

4 Topics, 1 will surely appear!

that's the kind of logic that can **** you over. (happened to me for my english paper)

No offence, but English and Geopgraphy are very different!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Offence taken!

In geog. you can easily take only 2 topics (im not) division of a country and core & peripheral and you're laughing.

• Advertisement

Just look at the frequency of topics! Division was absent 2 years, but that was when you had the choice of any country! Now that the choice has been taken away there is very little chance it will be taken off the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I do geog & i think its really hard! I have been doing grinds in it & it was still my worst subject in my mocks. I really don't think its common sense. You can't waffle, u have know your facts and stuff. I dunno, u probably all disagree with me, i find it boring as hell too. jnr cert i like it, now ugh!

Advertisement