Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My PC won't Power up!! PLEASE help me

• 04-03-2003 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just after installing a new CD-RW and a heatsink/fan and when I hooked it all back up it would not turn on. It's like there is no power at all getting to it. I had to remove the PSU to install the heatsink/fan but that shouldn't break it. The PSU I have at the momment I know is kind of crappy - 300w codegen.

I had a little trouble getting the old heatsink/fan off, but I'm pretty sure I didn't damage any thing in the process. Even if I did damage the mobo or processor it should still try and boot, shouldn't it?

My system specs are:
    Tbred XP 2400+
    Coolermaster XDream Heatsink/fan
    512mb DDR RAM
    Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo
    Hercules Radeon 9700pro
    30gig & 25gig Hard drives
    LG CD-RW
    Floppy
    19inch Logix CTR monitor

Any help would be great.

Boog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

You probably done this already but recheck all the power cables - esp to the motherboard. Yuo may have left one out. Also check the power cable is properly seated and that the fuse hasn't blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Yeah, It's all hooked up right. The Power lead still works as I checked it in my monitor.

Boog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

TBH I would retrace my steps back and take off the heatsink/fan and the CDRW. If there is still no power when you have removed the 2 (do 1 @ a time) then you have damaged the board. I couldn't see how the CDRW would cause this problem though ?

I've tried unplugging all non essential stuff and it still won't post. It's just dead. Do broken mobos usually act like this?

Boog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have you tried a different PSU?

• Advertisement

I'm gonna buy a new 450w PSU today and see if that works.

Boog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Make sure the power switch is connected to the pins on the motherboard/make sure no screws fell down behind the mobo and the case ( happedned me @ the weekend and pc would not turn on ) check the processor and heatsink again just incase a bit chipped off the cpu ( can cause it not to boot ).make sure the mobo is not in contact with the case at the back of the board ( raised up on spacers )....all i can think of at the mo.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It's like there is no power at all getting to it.
    Are you saying there is nothing.. no fans spinning.. no led's lighting.. absolutly nothing at all? Or that its powering up but no post/display?

Originally posted by Saruman
    Are you saying there is nothing.. no fans spinning.. no led's lighting.. absolutly nothing at all?

That's exactly what I'm saying! Nothing. Dead. Me Cry. :(

Boog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Did you change any Jumper settings on the board ??

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Get yer hands on a multimeter and check for voltage at various points on the board, especially the two pins that your power button connects to. If there's nowt there then check the voltages out of your PSU. If you are lucky the PSU's your man. If the PSU is fine but you're not getting (5 I think) volts to your power switch then it sounds like your mobo is deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SlimShady

jesus christ...sounds like worst nightmare to me...

hope you get it sorted...i dont think you damaged your board...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by milltown
    Get yer hands on a multimeter and check for voltage at various points on the board, especially the two pins that your power button connects to. If there's nowt there then check the voltages out of your PSU. If you are lucky the PSU's your man. If the PSU is fine but you're not getting (5 I think) volts to your power switch then it sounds like your mobo is deceased.

Be quite careful with this, try run as mnimum a current as possible through the board with the multimeter. I've heard a few bas cases with that one :D

My worst nightmare indeed, and more!

Update:

Got the new 450w PSU, still no joy. Then I had a brainwave - the heatsink and fan I installed only has one yellow wire which attaches to the CPU fan connector on the mobo (It has the usual 3 pin jack but only one yellow wire going into the right of it). This I presume is for fan speed detection as the fan is connected to the main PSU. I fiqured the the mobo is thinking to itself "there is no fan on the CPU, im not switching on". So I tried just pluging in the old fan and success - power at last!. What I did then was to just connect the new fan yellow wire bit to the right pin and put a jumper over the other two pins. This worked. So I hooked everything back up and turned the power on and of course it won't post. The power LED on the front of the case won't even come on. Tried the old fan again - won't work. Looks like the mobo is now in fact DEAD.

Any Ideas?

I've gone ahead and ordered an Asus A7N8X. This better work!

Boog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Originally posted by boogie man
    What I did then was to just connect the new fan yellow wire bit to the right pin and put a jumper over the other two pins. This worked. So I hooked everything back up and turned the power on and of course it won't post.

By doing this, you effectively shorted out the power supply to the fan - not a good thing to do. IMO, this killed your mobo, but I could be wrong.

Bio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Oh crap.. you finally figure it out... then you go an arse it up even further?? This just is not your week :D

But why didn't the fan work in the first place? Surly it should just work with a standard fan connector on the mobo. Will it not work in my new mobo? This is a royal pain in the b@lls. :confused:

Gonna get on to coolermaster and ask them what the story is with their stupid one yellow wire!

Boog.

Hi.

I just installed a new A7N8X as my old mobo was dead. Now my system still won't POST. Fans spin green LED comes on, everything sounds good but nothing happens. I've tried everything with no joy. Either it's a broken board or my CPU or graphics card is dead.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Boog. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Dam ur not having much luck,ne way are you getting any beep codes from the mobo ? if u are, check the mobo manual to see what the beeps mean.Is the monitor light green or flashing orange/yellow...?

COMBATCOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

To post all you should need is a working Motherboard, CPU and PSU.

The reason your old setup wouldn't power on was more than likely a CPU protection feature in the bios that prevented powerup if no current was drawn from the HSF power connector.

• Advertisement

No beeps, monitor light is orange.

I found out that on my old mobo there was a jumper to be set if the fan wasn't plugged in to the usual socket. The A7N8X is OK with the fan not drawing power AFAIK.

At this stage I just feel like stamping on it!

Boog.

i feel like crying for you...jesus christ man!

how unlucky are you?

your cpu seems like its dead...so does your graphics card...man what the ****!?

I know some lad this happened too aswell.....how or why!?

:D I know what's wrong!

:mad: My CPU is dead!

I just checked it out in my bro's machine, and exact same problem occured. I'm only just after getting the damn thing. There seems to be a tiny tiny bit chipped away from one of the corners.

What do think my chances are of RMAing it?

Boog.

P.S. Anyone got a cheap, cheap athlon processor for me? I need one until I can scrounge up the money for a new one!

told ya!

and ye if u bought it recently...u can RMA it...otherwise you better start lying to get you a new processor!!!

I have an old athlon for you if u want it...u can have it for free...just dont break it! its a k62 500!

its fine!

PM'd you Slim :)

Advertisement