Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70 Degree Radeon ??? .. and more

• 04-03-2003 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hey all, i have a bit O' a problem which started last night after i upgraded my motherboard to a ASrock G pro, nice little jobbie i got in Marx computers, anyways, all seemed to be going well, except when i try to disable someof the onboard crap, windoze (XP) wont boot up ?, im thinking that this might be a windoze activation crap problem, same thing happened when i tried to boot up straight after the MB upgrade, blue screen and a "this bios is not compatible ...blagh balgh, press F7 to edit....blagh blagh, which might make sence if it ever got to the point where F7 was to be pressed ?, so i just reinstalled over my existing copy.. happy days.. so i thought.

Anyhows,
    ...defualts set !
    .....Board installed
    ......Onboard graphics OFF
    ........Radeon 7000 in place,
    ............Plugin

2 hrs later i try SiSoft Sandra to see what my upgrade has done....

Ok everything seems fine... ram up at 266 (where it should be) yup bit faster than it was... games running quicker etc.....

THEN....OMG board higher than 50 degrees ? (bear in mind i havent even put the side back on my case yet! and i have a second fan anyways! )

so i put my hand in around it to see if i can feel heat, (The CPU was very cool BTW) and YUP! , one mega hot ATI Radeon, you could fry an egg on the thing, so i get the ol thermometer from downstairs (just to see) and lo and behold up and over 70 degrees ..... ARRAGH! and thats only the heatsink, god knows what temp the chip is at

any ideas on any of the above? ...

so far i havent put in my modem or "fancy" soundcard.. and Marx have been engaged so i just thought id put this up in the meantime.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Read the charter please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by dj_deevey
    Hey all, i have a bit O' a problem which started last night after i upgraded my motherboard to a ASrock G pro, nice little jobbie i got in Marx computers, anyways, all seemed to be going well, except when i try to disable someof the onboard crap, windoze (XP) wont boot up ?, im thinking that this might be a windoze activation crap problem, same thing happened when i tried to boot up straight after the MB upgrade, blue screen and a "this bios is not compatible ...blagh balgh, press F7 to edit....blagh blagh, which might make sence if it ever got to the point where F7 was to be pressed ?, so i just reinstalled over my existing copy.. happy days.. so i thought.

Anyhows,
    ...defualts set !
    .....Board installed
    ......Onboard graphics OFF
    ........Radeon 7000 in place,
    ............Plugin

2 hrs later i try SiSoft Sandra to see what my upgrade has done....

Ok everything seems fine... ram up at 266 (where it should be) yup bit faster than it was... games running quicker etc.....

THEN....OMG board higher than 50 degrees ? (bear in mind i havent even put the side back on my case yet! and i have a second fan anyways! )

so i put my hand in around it to see if i can feel heat, (The CPU was very cool BTW) and YUP! , one mega hot ATI Radeon, you could fry an egg on the thing, so i get the ol thermometer from downstairs (just to see) and lo and behold up and over 70 degrees ..... ARRAGH! and thats only the heatsink, god knows what temp the chip is at

any ideas on any of the above? ...

so far i havent put in my modem or "fancy" soundcard.. and Marx have been engaged so i just thought id put this up in the meantime.

I also had problems with this board (also from Marx puters)

Sounds like the mobo is letting too much power through to your graphics card. If possible you should try the card in another pc to check how hot the card becomes.

Yes it is extremely hard to get Marx on the phone at times.......I couldnt get them for a whole week at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dj_deevey

what type of probs were you having ?

strange thing is the Radeon now seems to be running fine, i left it overnight and woke up this morning and it was hot, but not burning as it was before... mind you there wasnt alot of load on it??

but i still have probs if i try to disable the onboard graphics and sound ? as in windows gives me a blue screen (xp pro)

one thing i cant figure out is how the hell to update the bios, why cant floppy be selected as a boot device, or does that fall under the "other devices" catagory?

Oh also, was on the asrock site, the list of supported processors are pentium 1.7 - 3.03 ghz, and celrons form 1.1,

im using a 1.6 P4 could that be the prob, i cant imagine how though, they all run on the same voltage dont they ?

any ideas,

PS. was onto marx, if i still have probs the'll check it out... except it'll cost me 40 - 50 euro odd in taxi fares :( so if i can sort it myself im happier guy.

the card was fine in the old MB BTW, which i replaced with the g pro, im wondering if my PSU might be the prob (250w) maybe its "undercurrent" thats caused the heat up ? (old board was 133 mhz)

cheers

steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The board I had just simply wouldn't give me a screen no matter what i did to it. All of the other components were working perfectly, as i tested them in another mobo.

You could try another PSU. A faulty PSU may be giving irregular voltages that could be adversely thowing too much power at your graphics card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

have you tried using a different molex connector?

Try using one that doesn't have another one being an extension of the one you are plugging in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

There has been occasions where the Graphics Driver has had this effect. (Quite common infact)

Since you didnt do a fresh install I am wondering could this be it.

Download the latest drivers from ATI.com .
    Uninstall the current ones completely.
    Shutdown and reboot.
    Install the new drivers.

Result: One cooler Radeon card.

If the powersupply was "pumping too much voltage" (using the term loosely)
    The onboard AGP voltage regulator should take care of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dj_deevey

Ok now things have got really weird, everything seems to work perfectly now.... too perfect perhaps..

I now have my P4 1.6 overclocked to 2.08 ghz ... and everything is rosy :o

does that make any sence ? radeon is quite cool and the CPU is running at 37 degrees celcius, after an hour of 100% load (sissoft sandra) and judging by the benchmarks more than 50% quicker than a regular P4 1.6 with ddr 2700 (i have 2100) !

any ideas how long i can last at this speed or what i should bring it down to ?

... still cant disable the onboard sound though, and cant set the graphics card boot to " addon AGP" it runs fine as "pci," (dont ask) but it doesnt seem to be a problem, my other cards work fine anyways.. :)

wierd or what ... P.S. the PSU is fine thats been run in 2 diffrerent systems since i had the prob.

Advertisement