Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Modding

Options
  • 04-03-2003 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

The release schedules for the kind of 2d japanese stuff I enjoy isn't too hot at the moment. I've got a modded DC I bought 2nd hand in London and the SNK beatemups have kept me amused but I'd like to pick up the PS2 version of Metal Slug 3 thats coming out shortly.

Is there somewhere in Ireland I can bring my PS2 to get it modded. I don't fancy trying to mess about with a solding iron and ****ing it up.

In fact, if someone knows where I can get a modded cube too that'd be great.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Is there somewhere in Ireland I can bring my PS2 to get it modded. I don't fancy trying to mess about with a solding iron and ****ing it up.

www.dvdireland.com
    PS2 mod ain't cheap though (€150 fitted).

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

for the cube you don't need to physically mod the box - you just need a boot disc

one example is here : http://www.extreme-mods.com/products/gc-freeloader.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€150? Jesus, that's a complete rip-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

PM sent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

cant you get it done in Talbot street ?

• Advertisement

the talbot street place costs more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

€150? Jesus, that's a complete rip-off!

It's not that bad actually. The chips themselves cost around 75 pounds sterling, and in general you pay over a hundred quid to have a PS2 modded in the UK.

There MAY be simpler and cheaper chips for the PS2 in future, but for now, you're stuck with microsoldering over fifty wires, most of them directly onto the legs of other chips on the board...

50 is a bit of an over statement - the magic 3 and messiah 2 chips require mid to low 20s - the magic 3.5/3.6 have clip kits so it's around 9 solder points - but yeah you have to solder on to pin legs if you don't have a clip kit which is nasty

Advertisement