Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows ME and DSL, problems?????

Options
  • 04-03-2003 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just had the big pipe fitted today (Esat DSL)

Will it work? can I connect? NO

I've tried all the usual stuff, and I know its been said many times here before, but the settings are correct.

I can ping from DOS, and guess what, MSN works. But no browsing or Outlook.

Sniffing around the web it seems to be quite a common problem, even the lads in Esat were scratching their heads.

Any you guys hear something similiar before?

Looks like I'll have to spend the night burnin cd's and install XP

:-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Can you ping IPs and domain names from DOS?
    Does it work ok on a dialup connection?
    Are the connection settings/proxy settings ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Very odd. Did they have you pinging 127.0.0.1? :p

Seriously though, check the browser under Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings and make sure nothing at all is ticked in there. If you can get things like messenger working it really does suggest a browser problem rather than an Esat connection problem.

As for outlook, are you trying to send or recieve mail? The receive should work fine no matter what (assuming you have the POP3 server entered properly and username/pass are correct) but if you are sending mail via an SMTP server other than one belonging to ESAT, then it will reject your connection...

Hope this helps...

Serb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

CAn anybody give me an idea of the area's where Esat BB is available ??? Maybe castleknock ??????? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    Are the connection settings/proxy settings ok?

This one get my vote: if you have a public IP address (i.e. not 10.x.x.x, 176.16.x.x-176.31.x.x or 192.168.x.x) if are not using a router to connect, then turn off proxies/connection settings in your LAN settings part of Internet Explorer (settings used by Outlook Express too) and see if this works.

/MK

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Are you on 256k or 512k?

• Advertisement
Advertisement