Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Phantoms message board

Options
  • 04-03-2003 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

This might be repeating a previous topic but has everyone or anyone noticed that there only seems to be blaytent plugs on this board now, as I write this this is 10 gig announcements on the first page.

Now I have used this before and it is important to tell everyone about the class gigs going on but really there should be some sort of limit. Maybe get some collective e-mail that phantom sends out every week with the list of gigs.

I dont know anyway, we need more discussion about the new flavours of ice-cream or fudge flavour breakfast cereal.

Anyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Sorry but I'm one of these people. People promoting gigs use this page because they know more of the people they are trying to get to their gigs look at this page than the gig guide. Also they can get valuable feedback on peoples interest in the gig.
    Cluas.com has a seperate gigs folder that is focused towards gigs but is still presented as a medium for discussion. Maybe Phantom could do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Ste i raised this point a number of months back and i doubt if the response you receive will be any different. The board isnt going to change its format because this is the format that most people *apparently* seem to like so you can either like it or lump it....

Das ist alles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

There is an odd kind of Irony in the ammount of gig posts.

An example of precisely why it is 80% of people dont talk about music but just plug gigs!

Can you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

as everyone argued before, if ya want the board to be different post more threads that you'd like to see discussed

people post their gig listings here (myself included) because some people are interested in reading about them... look at the amounts of views for a gig plug here as opposed to on the gig/events board on the music radio section of boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 SilverCorp2000

I personally only hear about gigs on this messageboard, because to be honest, I don't really listen to Phantom too much anymore. Like someone said, if you want threads about fluffy kittens or where's the best place to buy porridge, then start the thread and I'll get drunk and post on it.

But where else, if you're in a band, is it free to advertise? Ads cost losts of money. People read the messageboard.
    Therefore.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

said in an annoying whinny voice -

"boo hoo hoo, i'm ste k, i want the board to be just the way i like it, boo hoo, i want my own way, everyone has to do things for me, its all about me, i'm a tosser, BOO HOO HOO!!!!"

only messin';)

ferdi

An example of precisely why it is 80% of people dont talk about music but just plug gigs!

And 20% whine and moan that the Phantom board is not exactly what the Phantom board should be...although HOW these people know what the board should be is beyond me. Is there a handbook somewhere? I didn't get one.
    Now I have used this before and it is important to tell everyone about the class gigs going on but really there should be some sort of limit

'Ohhhh, its okay for ME to do it, but nooooo, YOU can't'

Hmmmm.

I'm putting ten european monetary units on Ste's next post being:

'I started a thread on a topic that I thought I was a 100% correct on but people disagreed!! Have them shot! Other people having opinions?! For SHAME'

Or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

When exactly were opinions outlawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

a wise person once said, 80% of people don't believe in statistics

what am i trying to say? that's a good question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

the board is awful
    deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

like totally

stick a link up to your message board raggamuffin and let us know how its supposed to be done.

Here's my one complaint about the messageboard. The amount of people who register, log in, post, come back, post again, come back, post again.....about how awful the board is.

If you don't like it, I really have to ask what the hell you're doing here.

Are you one of these people who buy tickets to see bands you despise just so you can moan about how terrible the gig was? I bet you are.

I once spilled boiling water over my arm...I didn't like it at all, and I complained plenty....but I sure as hell didn't do it over and over just so I could complain.

my messege board is private.
    anyway the content may frighten you.

i did'nt have to buy the tickets for the bands i found awful.

otherwise id be even more annoyed.

i did'nt have to buy the tickets for the bands i found awful.

Oh boy. I got my free tickets to Slane last year, so when I got home, I rang and said 'Never, EVER give me Slane tickets EVER again. Slane is HORRIBLE'.

So, ha at me.

Then I said 'But continue with the Witnness tickets. I like Witnness.'

Double ha at me, cos this year it means I get to stand in horrible Punchestown with crap parcking facilities wishing I had an 'Rewind/erase' button on my life. And a 'mute' button too.

a Mute button would have been in order when the thrills supported lowgold, many moons ago.

To be honest i love finding out about those last minue gigs because sometimes you come across real gem...

LEs Savy fav in The Parnell Mooney was one...
    Enon supported... so good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

I used to post uner the name 'the 66 electric' but i changed for obvious reasons, worst one being that everyone thought a new thread i started was an obvious plug, which was only partly true.

But does anyone else not feel its time to let some of the ****ing ancient threads die? You know which ones i mean.

well i've never gone to a gig because somebody posted on this...

because usually you get alink to a website actually hear the band... and the use the fiver or tenner for something useful.

yeah the "song tag" and "song you're listening to now" are annoying.

maybe some genuine involvement between the messege board and phantomfm would be in order.

I mean don't you have to pay to get an ad on phantom, whereas you can do it here for free?

that don't seem right

Considering Phantom don't really OWN this board, they can't charge anything for advertising or whatnot.

If anything, Phantom should be paying Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Jaysus, this is whats great about threads like this. They start off covering the same predictable ground, and then flies off on a tangent about free advertising, getting into gigs for free and boards.ie.

Briefly then, here goes. The Phantom messageboard is set up so people with an interest in Phantom can discuss topics of interest to them. This can include gig mentions etc but all sorts of other topics too. So its a community of interest sort of a buzz.

I dont quite understand the point made about it being free to advertise on the messageboard but not free to advertise on air. Whats the connection there? Perhaps Ragamuffin will explain that one.

And Pie, boards.ie very kindly offer us the board facility so I cant understand the relevance of your point that we should be paying boards.ie. Once again, feel free to explain.

On the main topic though, the board is as good as ye make it, and the topics are as good as ye make them too. Would posters like the idea of a topic of the week or more polls to get the creative juices flowing? As always, all suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Can we post polls on this messageboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

I suppose it is what we make it. Now does anyone have anything interesting to say about music.

I'm spent right now.

Originally posted by Pete Reed
    boards.ie very kindly offer us the board facility so I cant understand the relevance of your point that we should be paying boards.ie. Once again, feel free to explain.

Nah, I phrased that wrong. What I meant was if Phantom were to try and make money from this board (which I'm not saying you ever would or should, but it was mentioned above...), it'd be extremely erm... "impolite" considering it is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i like....... stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Pete, if you want any of these muppets banned, just let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 FlapjackJoe

Well, back to the original issue (since the bizarre change of topic isn't really worthy of a reply ;) )...

I think it's easy enough to spot a gig plug from a mile off (most of the info is crammed into the subject anyway); is it that difficult to NOT look at those threads then if you're not interested? (now if that's not enough, maybe people wanting to plug their gigs should all start off the subject with Gig: or something to make it even clearer... ;)

And another suggestion, why not make a sticky topic where people can posts gigs 1 or 2 days max in advance (with no bumping allowed). I'm one of those type of people that sit around, picking my nose, scratching my balls and then suddenly get an urge to go out. Now, if I could go to a thread where I have to scroll through 3 replies to find a gig to go to (instead of having to sort my way through 50 threads), it might just come in handy.

OK, and after typing all of that, I discovered a few flaws in this great plan of mine, but I'll leave it to you all to point it out to me... :p

And Cloud - can we also request to have certain people banned? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 taellad

Originally posted by Cloud
    Pete, if you want any of these muppets banned, just let us know.

You're kidding, right? So, people get banned for voicing their opinions on the board? That's kind of stoopid.

Em, I should probably keep my mouth shut, shouldn't I?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think you'll find we're talking about people who are being distruptive.

The problem is that you dont have clear rules/charter so its impossible to say whats disruptive and whats desired content.

I would smack all gig advertisers (since there IS a gigs forum) but maybe you all love them. Impossible to tell.

If the community comes up with clear boundaries, pete can enforce them and we can back him up.

As for Boards.ie and Phantom, we'd normally charge profit making entities for a board of their own but Phantom are almost an institution round here and besides, I kinda have a soft spot for pirates (ooooh arrrr!) and they've been very friendly to us in the past. So I dont see that ever changing really...

Anyway its Phantoms call as we rarely get too involved with the communities forums directly unless asked.

DeV.

blah blah blah

YOu have to Pay to advertise on phantom right?
    or else i'm mistaken in which case my poin is invalid.
    So basically rather than pay to adverstise on the radio, people use the messegeboard instead.

And i've never actually seen one instance were this messege board has seriously contributed to phantom.

To be honest i don't really take kindly to being called moany and grumpy for expressing an opinion btw pete.

Just because you have a talent for shooting down almost every argument aimed at phantom doe'snt make you correct. We used to switch on pahntom expecting quality, now we seriously switch it on for a good laugh.

Are you unwilling to accept that the standard of the music played on phantom is debatable?
    Well to be honest you seem to have enough people backing you up maybe i am wrong after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 FlapjackJoe

Mmmmm, to be quite honest, I think it's none of our business who charges who for what. It doesn't really affect us now, does it?

I think the bottom line is what DeVore said - if the moderators can give a yes/no to gigs being plugged, it's up to them... (who is charging who how much for advertising where really shouldn't involve the likes of me, a mere music fan...)

Personally, I like gigs being posted. Saves me from having to go to other sites... ;)

Advertisement