Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Phantoms message board

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Some good points made, some odd stuff too, but sure isnt that the nature of these things!

Pie, I understand what you were trying to say now, and yep its true too. But no, Phantom would never charge for gig ads on the message board.

I see the point about maybe asking people plugging gigs to start their posts with GIG: or some such. Might be a plan. There has been a ban on "bumping" for ages now, but I just havent had time to enforce it. Will start to enforce it if needed though.

And yep, maybe a 7 days maximum advance notice on a gig would be a good idea too. What do ye all think?

Ragamuffin, people advertise gigs on the board but not always as a way of avoiding paying for advertising. Plugging a gig on the board gets a few hundred visitors to get your message, while advertising gets access to upwards on 30,000 people a week. Simple as that. I didnt call you moany or grumpy for expressing an opinion by the way, that was just a general observation ;). And glad you switch on Phantom for a good laugh, it does you good.

The entirely different topic of opinions on the music played on Phantom is not really relevant to this thread, but feel free to start another thread on it. Its been at least 2 months since we last trotted that one out.

Back to the point though, and I agree that we do need a policy for gig plugging on the board so lets open it to suggestions.

And finally, as always thanks to boards.ie for hosting this discussion, class acts so they are!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

I'd have to agree with the Limiting of gig plugs to 7 days or less before a gig.

Also perhaps stricter controls over sticking to the subjects of a thread (i realise im a culprit at times but ive learned my lesson) eg. This thread has changed or varied in subject from the current state of posts on the board to advertising and who should pay or not pay, to the quality/lack of same in the music which phantom plays. Perhaps if posts were moved to their own seperate threads when this happens it may keep the discussion/debate a bit more fluid, or would this take up too much time/space?

Meh! anyway im all out....

If i have any more "brain waves" (smart comments on a postcard please!) I'll be sure and enlighten you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Eirecore have a Sticky thread for Upcoming gigs,
    maybe something like that would benefit the messege board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ttb

Down with this sort of thing.

The Tycho Brahe would like to say that we are appalled when bands trying to notify the general public of live music and we DEEPLY frown upon people trying to find out about live music.

-

The Tycho Brahe would also like to say that we are playing in the sugar club this friday, €8 euro in, 8.30 til late.

:D

Donal

seriously though - personally I find message boards the BEST way to find out about gigs - be it Throwing Muses, Fleetwood Mac (may be touring Europe this year - woo hoo!), the66electric or whatever.

It really is a case of - if you don't like the subject line don't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by ttb
    It really is a case of - if you don't like the subject line don't read it.

I think that's one of the problems some people are complaining about; it's not always clear from the subject line that it is a gig plug.

Pete, if you need any help enforcing de lawwww, I've nothing better to do all day in college ;]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Carol Anne

I would never dream of plugging The Tycho Brahe's gig in the Sugar Club this coming Friday, doors 8.30, 8 europes, late club afterwards. No way sirree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Subtle Carol Anne, very subtle! Really looking forward to the gig though, should be class so I'll allow it :-)

My apologies to anyone who was trying to PM me the last couple of days by the way. Turns out my message box thingy was full, but all is sorted again now.

And vaguely straying on topic for a moment, I think we will do a charter thingy and give guidelines for plugging gigs, moderation etc. Leave it with my tiny brain for a few days, and continue to suggest at will.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Wicker

Maybe a Subforum for bands to advertise their gigs ?
    (or a Sticky Topic Perhaps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gerrymac

You have to consider its a way of letting people who they have spoken to before on these boards know what they are up to.
    I'm into many Irish bands who can't afford to put posters up around town, so the boards are a good way of finding out whats on. Just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

wow, the Uber mods are in on this one and all :)

amz,i dont think you can post polls on this forum

i've said it before and i'll say it again, i dont like the idea of a sticky about the gigs coz some of us like posting about going to the gig, and making arrangements, and what we thought of the bands, and it'd get messy if there was a sticky. imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i find a lot of the gig post helpful.....
    but it is a bit rediculous, i think they should be cut down a bit, there are a bit to many.....
    at the moment at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

pretty much all the info i get on gigs comes from here so i'm happy with it the way it is... but of course i'm gonna say that anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 click here

Yeh, but at the top of every page on this website is 'Arts' which contains 'Music/Radio' which contains (among other things) 'Bands/Musicians' and ' Gigs/Events'.

Posters should restrict their messages to these areas, so everyone can make the most of this message board.

See? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gary D

Yep, to be honest looking at a plug for a gig (not electrical plug that would be annoying) really doesnt take up too much time i cant see how it gets on peoples wick(thats a first) so much.

out of interest loike...

do those of you who dont like having the gig posts up on this board mind talking bout gigs like witnness, slane, and smaller gigs when they're finished, as in what ppl thought of them?

Originally posted by click here
    Yeh, but at the top of every page on this website is 'Arts' which contains 'Music/Radio' which contains (among other things) 'Bands/Musicians' and ' Gigs/Events'.

Posters should restrict their messages to these areas, so everyone can make the most of this message board.

agreed

but....

alot of the people who post here post solely on this board and dont pay any attention to any of the other boards.ie msg boards

So have one sticky thread, as previously mentioned, for all your gigging needs.

As for the drowner's social life, i mean you havea private messeging system and the personal issues board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

Yes, but her life is so damned interesting. If I'm careful I may forget to lead one of my own.You may understand one day,raggy.But I'm cynical

You're cynical...
    wow good for you....

why don't you join a club or society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

Emmm a sticky thread may be the best solution alright.
    I can see what is meant by gigs taking over the board.
    Having said that, I don't think that the gigs should be
    relegated to another forum. Who wants the trouble
    of going to another forum? I have to say I don't check
    that forum at all. Mainly because my internet connection
    was fitted by Marconi and he hasn't been 'round to
    update it.

Anyway the people using this forum are the only people
    who might recognise the name of a band and go down
    to check them out. I mean you've got to find some way
    to get to your target audience. There's no point in us
    advertising on FM104 is there?

I have to say though it is entirely up to phantom how they
    want their board to be run.

Pete, the seven day gig rule sounds reasonable. It would
    kind of limit the temptation to bump a post too. Or maybe
    that was the idea behind it in the first case. If so, well done.

So yeah in summation... sticky thread might be a good solution.
    Or else limit gig posts to just 7 days beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jonbon

girlsaloudcherylPA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 SilverCorp2000

Um...okay....(ignoring above post. Maybe it has some relevance thats lost on me.)

I find it strange that people don't seem to have any issues with Phantom playing irish bands, or doing gig guides telling people when these bands are playing.......

So why can't the message board be similar?

As far as I can make out with my admittedly limited knowledge on the subject, new irish bands need all the support they can get. Unless they are truly brutal, they can't deny they're getting that support from Phantom. Its not really so much a radio station as an excellent service and a launchpad for many bands.

Most of these threads do make it clear from the title that its a gig advertisement, so just don't click on it.

More important topics like 'Why has Silverfish turned into a pacifist? Discuss' and 'Why was my sig banned THIS time? I NEEDED that disclaimer!' should be priority from now on.

Sleep tight.

Silverfish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by click here

i think on the phantom fm message board, everyone kind of knows each other either in person or on the net, and we post here mainly coz we know the station and stuff and promoting irish bands is a big part of the station, and thats why i think it should stay here.

the message baord itself is a part of boards.ie message boards, and i dont think the rest of the population who post on it would appreciate bands taking over the gigs/events section, i think it's more for famous bands (oh im gonna get abuse for this one) if you know what i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

Because of this message board I learned that my most favourite singer in the whole world - Craig David is playing in Dublin Castle.
    But it is a great source for upcoming gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

i like pie...... Oh wrong topic :) who was the girl in that strange post? amz when u say polls, what kind of polls? like big poles to hit ppl with? how that i have gone completely off the topic ill do this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yeah big poles to hit people with...

That'd be nice....

*sigh* but i guess popularity contest type polls are why i was in my most PC tone been referring to.

just an example of the type of poll id have personally....

Which superhero is best....

a) Superman
    b) Batman
    c) Spiderman
    d) Mr. Muscle
    e) Ronald McDonald
    f) Sexual HarrassmentPanda

*cough*

(sorry about this)

Meh! im a little off form in my poll makng abiilities due to lack of food.....

hmmmm.....What food should Amz Have for dinner?
    a) Toasted Cheeses sandwiches
    b) Chicken Stir Fry with noodles
    c) Pizza
    d) Whatever the hell she can find.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

Oh those kind of polls. well i think sexual harrassment panda wins hands down. and go with the sitr fry and nodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

errrrrrrrrr.......raggamuffin, i'll see you tomorrow at the ambassador but in the meantime, why don't you make some concrete suggestions to pete? i don't think it's doing your health any good getting all rattled about phantom when you know you've got some good ideas as to what you and yours would like to hear and so forth from the station? there's no point hurling the ball at petes head all the time if you're not going to through a ball he can catch and run with? i reckon some of the ideas you've pitched have been fine, but what's a little lacking is your presentation. you've the happy knack of making decent suggestions the content of which gets ignored because your delivery comes off a bit aggro. constructive criticism be's the key here. i understand your frustration with the station, especially because you've a real unquenchable thirst for music. maybe listening to phantom for you is a bit like being in a beginners class when you're well advanced. it strikes me that it's not satisfying your tastes or music needs? so suggest to pete how it might. i'm aware that there are others who feel the same. maybe phantom don't want to address this listnership? i dunno, ask pete. maybe pete would be interested in hearing from the lost listeners or those who only tune in in the vein hopes it will do something for them???? maybe what phantom offers just aint for you raggamuffin? but stop bustin chops, you're wasting you energy. it's like getting thick with a kid because they can't do algebra and you can, you're on another level.
    pete maybe you could give raggamuffin a slot on the station some night to prove his mustard? or maybe meet with him to discuss his proposals? i dunno, seems to me like he puts a lot of time and effort into telling you how it should be done, but i think behind it all he could be a frustrated disc spinner or he may hold the key to nirvana? maybe it's time for phantom to raise the game again? so if it is i guess its' up to the listeners to voice their opinion on how to do this? is phantom interested in listener loyalty?

ps. raggamuffin, don't take it like i'm getting at you, i just think you may have something to offer phantom and it's not coming out in your emails because you're coming at them like a bul in a china shop DIPLOMACY raggamuffin man DIPLOMACY

• Advertisement

Diplomacy has not broken down entirely...

see you tomorrow so...

Advertisement