Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Service Connection to Internet via Connection Sharing (Win2k)

Options
  • 04-03-2003 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am having a little trouble with an application I have running in work. Basically I have 2 network cards in the PC, one with a public IP, Gateway set as the router it is connected to and 2 DNS servers. The other is set as the LAN IP and subnet. I haven't given it a gateway or DNS. The application I am running is registered as a service (I'm using Windows 2000) and is listening on port 80 on my machine. I am able to ping the ip from the internet but I when I try to ping port 80 it says unknown host.

I have connection sharing ticked on the public ip connection and I have tried to set up port forwarding giving the local ip and port number of the service that I am trying to get out onto the internet. (eg local ip is 10.1.0.10 - I have set port 80 to forward from public IP port 80 to 10.1.0.10:80). This hasn't worked though and I have to admit I am a little stumped as to what to try next. I am far from a networking guru, so maybe someone here with experience in dealing with a problem like this can help?

Thanks a lot :)

Serb

[Edit] Forgot to mention tha there is no firewall in place at the moment, I just have the comp plugged into an Eircom ADSL router...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I take it the router has one public IP, the 2k machine has another one?
    You don't need to port forward if the 2k machine has a public IP, once the application is listening on port 80 it should work.
    What router is it? If it's a 643, those things sometimes drop requests on port 80, you can change that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hey I think it is a Zyxel 643. The router has one public IP and the Win 2k machine has another yes. How do I set the router to not drop port 80 requests?

Thanks for your help :)

Serb

If it's set to drop port 80 requests, it's in menu 21 (filter set config.), you should have a section called webset. Go into that, if there's a rule, you'll see one line with DP (destination port)=80, select that and there's a line that says Action Matched - if that's set to drop hit space until it says forward and then save.
    If it's not there, don't change anything else. Also if it's not there, you don't need to create a rule.

These are all the rules in the filter set config menu:

2 NetBIOS_WAN
    3 NetBIOS_LAN
    4 PPPoE
    12 WebSet

I take it none of these are set to drop port 80 :) If so, any other ideas about why port 80 may not be visible from the outside world? You can ping the machines ip address from the net and I was able to get someone to connect to it via tight VNC. I am really stumped on this one, so any ideas, any at all :) would me most welcome...

Thanks a lot,

Serb

Go into the webset one, it's probably in there.

• Advertisement

Nice one Frank! That sorted it! I'll buy you a pint if I ever meet you :p

Thanks a lot,

Serb

No problem.
    Might be an idea to put in a firewall though, it's not the most secure setup.

yeah, I just had it like that to test that the connection worked in the first place. I just need to find a decent personal firewall product that I can open ports on etc... I think it was McAfee's Personal Firewall that I tried first and it's not very customisable.

Serb

A hardware firewall might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

blackice seems pretty nifty too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement