Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed.... Busy Web Site, No Money !!!

Options
  • 04-03-2003 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hello there,
    Anyone intrested in making some cash.....? Honest offer here lads.. I've got a site .. I have the traffic.... 36,000 hits since yesterday (usually get around 5000 hits a day) and i made a whopping €40... woo hoo!!!!
    I'm flat out working for myself and haven't really had the time to look into how i could really generate an income from the site ... so if anyone is intrested in helping me make some real money from it, I'm all ears ... I'm willing to offer anyone 25% of all profits generated

PM for number. <sorry tmcd, dont like the idea of people posting phone numbers in a public forum. Too much chance it'll be taken advantage of etc. Use your PM to keep in touch or give an email, at least someone has the option of deleting spam>

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I like the website in your profile ! I couldn't believe it when I saw me at aged 7 sitting next to my best friend. Haven't seen the guy in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

whats the url

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Tosser. Both of you. All of you in fact.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

dahamsta you must be having a bad day or something ... Anyway to the rest of the people that pm me and asked questions.... lads this is what i mean by I'm flat out working .. I dont have the time to sit here and reply to all messages ... its 8.20 pm and i have 4 computers to reload before the morning...oh and i forgot to eat today...I can explain much faster by phone... If that doesn't suit then I'm sorry..... I can be contacted here http://www.nalcro.com/contact.htm
    25782 thats the ammount of unique hits i've recieved since yesterday and about 15 euro to show for it ......

Thanks

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oldman29

howya del boy...

this time next year we could be millionaires rodders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Please don't tell me its the website in your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fhugh

I presume you're referring to the '1995 definition' of 'hits' then?

H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Thats one of the worst sites i've ever seen , whats with all the ****ing pop up's.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

One full page entry Pop Up and two full page exit Pop Up's!:eek:

I doubt any self respecting webmaster in this forum will help you unless you at least get rid of the feckin pop ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

by the way which site was it that was getting 36,000 hits? just curious and who has taken on the job and how much are you making now, im definitly not interested in taking it on but just interested how it turns out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ive never wanted to kill a webmaster so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

(My opinion)

Joke sites usually arent worth much and do not make much.

You may get alot of visits but rarly any repeat visitors since the purpose is served in 1 visit.

I think maybe the best thing you can do is try and get a mailing list and offer sales / promotions through that.

(Store reccomend a friend addresses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by damnyanks
    (Store reccomend a friend addresses)

So that you can spam them?

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    It just put in a tick box saying do you want to recieve offers from carefully selected partners yadda, yadda, yadda. Then it's not spam

Ethical.... maybe?

Yes, but its for a friends email address, not yours. So even with the tick box, that's pushing the definition of "solicited"!! Ethical, absolutely not!

.cg

Is'nt it usually "send this joke to a friend". They don't send repeat mails but offer the friend in that mail the chance to signup to a list/visit the site for more.

That would certainly be more ethical alright. Is it still unsolicited (by definition) if someelse submits your email address?

.cg

By definition Yes, but in practice people aren't peeved when its sent through this method, only if its pure spam technique bastids.

Originally posted by buddy
    people aren't peeved when its sent through this method, only if its pure spam technique bastids.

Speak for yourself, I'd certainly be peeved!! ;)

Anyway, back to the original point (which is off-topic anyway!!), storing the "recommend a friend"'s address for later commercial use is bad.

Putting advertising in the one-off mail to the recommended friend, is fair enough as long as its within reason.

Would storing that address for future commercial use not be illegal, in Ireland, under the Data Protection Act (&Ammendments), as you don't have the consent of the owner? Grey area I'm sure!!

Ethically, anyway, it would be a low trick... and of all the various services and e-cards and crap that people have recommended to me, I've never got spam/future mailings from them.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

Lads lads lads, how come all posts in newsgroups go way off topic,
    Spam... 1 guy started to talk about, I sh*t on spammers, hate them with a passion!!! I do not collect any information from my site and never have
    Hits.... Oh sorry!!! 5,006,448 page impressions in March 2005
    Damnyanks you hit the nail on the head mate, About the return visitors, That’s being my problem since the site started, Well at least i thought it was but am starting to notice a trend, 4 years ago the site went mental in Australia, At the moment its gone mental there again. I also noticed the same with the Uk and America
    bazH That’s funny, I used to think the same when I actually thought I was a web designer, 1 thing I learned, Its mostly not the layout buddy, Its the Idea. I might not be a designer but I've more brains than you to come up with an Idea that has attracted approx 15 million unique visitors.
    Philbert My initial question was for someone to sort all that out for me, not for me to sort it out myself.
    Sposs Its not really. Really? hmmm have to put you in my 1% of unhappy customers, The customer folder that was named for me as the "Get a sense of humour" folder
    oldman29 Don't I know you ? :) give me a text sometime we'll have a bet on one of the matches

Of course lads I’m still open to offers mentioned in my first post, But at this stage they will have to be good ones as the site is doing quiet nicely now

All the best

Thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement