Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Irish channels

• 04-03-2003 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I just had sky digital installed last week. I still cannot receive RTE1 Net 2 TV3 TG4 and BBC1 :mad:
    Anybody else have this problem?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few people seem to be (see here (half-way down the page). You'll probably have to ring Sky (though I'm surprised the installer left when you didn't have all the channels). You do have E4 don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Installer does not have a choice, its a sky problem which they have been aware of for sometime and have not resolved.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As I posted in a previous thread, These cards are able to receive all the English channels except some of the BBC's BBC 1 I am certain is not available not quite sure about BBC2,3,4, and Five Live.
    The ITV's and CH4 and FIVE are definitely there. Is just a matter of inputting the correct frequencies?

Not quite sure how long this is going to last but if I had a preference of receiving most of the English Channels instead of out own which most of us can receive via an aerial I know which I would choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A month after install my friend still has this problem. It seems to be very many new cards arn't fully authorising. Some channels work with card in any box, RTE, BBC, Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc generally only work in the box the card authorised in. It seems to be common at present and related to "married" channels.

Keep pestering Sky is the only advice.

Originally posted by watty
    A month after install my friend still has this problem. It seems to be very many new cards arn't fully authorising. Some channels work with card in any box, RTE, BBC, Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc generally only work in the box the card authorised in. It seems to be common at present and related to "married" channels.

Keep pestering Sky is the only advice.

Hi Watty, the problem is the specific authorisation for Irish cards is being sent on a low priority datastream. They have known about this for weeks and have chosen not to make a priority out of resolving this issue. Can you imagine the outcry if UK cards did not show BBC?

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I can imagine the conversation at Sky when the decision was made to de-prioritize Irish customers.
    "Those idiots wouldnt know the difference between BBC and NBC anyway. They are lucky to be getting anything anyway. "
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

couldn't they just give the Irish channels a higher priority signal. problem solved

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    couldn't they just give the Irish channels a higher priority signal. problem solved

Well of course not as that would solve the problem and would not be in keeping with skys normal mode of operation which is to make simple things difficult.

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Does it help authorise the card if a specific channel is used? I find it hard to beleive that ALL the transponders have the datastream?

Anyone know which transponders have the stream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Dunno 'bout RTE cards, but I've read several times that authorisation comes through quicker for FTV cards if you stay tuned to Sky News

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 afterburn

I also had the same problem with sky. I recently got one of there new cards when I signed up with them. Didn't have the service before. For some reason they waited nearly 6 weeks before they sent out the card even though they had the contract and all the details. Rang them about 5 times to get it sorted and send it out. If you ask me I think they were waiting for as long as they could to fix problems with these cards.

And of course when I got the card and activated it no RTE channels or BBC1. Now I know I can receive RTE on a standard aerial but if sky are providing a service for irish channels then I think they should be there when i'm paying for them.

I rang them up as soon as I got the card when I couldn't get the RTE channels and no one in there knew what was happing and they just said to wait a few days for the channels to come through. Waited a week and rang them back. This time they said it was there problem and they were looking into it. Yea right :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

tell them that you will cancel your direct debit if they dont get it sorted, they might speed things up a bit if they were to miss a few subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

As I have posted on another thread, I have just received a new FTV Card and also I have got ITV, Channel 4 .Five BBC 2 etc, but NO BBC1, I have only seen this thread now, so BBC 1 seems to be a problem all round whether its with a new Sky sub card or a FTV card, my Uk scource is saying the BBC seem to be having some problems at the moment. Are you sure there not having the same problem in the UK?

Everybody with NEW FTV cards or new Sky sub cards - keep us informed!. Has anybody looked at the UK digital forum to see what they are saying?

BBC1 always takes it time coming through with a FTV card. it takes up to 2 days for some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 aok

2 Weeks later and I am still missing the 5 channels.
    Sky now say that I may need a new viewing card and I will be without all channels until I receive the new one.:mad:

Originally posted by aok
    2 Weeks later and I am still missing the 5 channels.
    Sky now say that I may need a new viewing card and I will be without all channels until I receive the new one.:mad:

Thats depressing news.however keep us posted on your progress. I have decided to wait till next weekend to have another go with my new BBC Card(thats the one I'm missing BBC 1) when I will be able to leave the card in from Fri - Mon. If I dont have it by then, I have a problem. The trouble is I cant complain to BBC directly, I am depending on my UK scource who got me the card in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I rang up on Monday to get my FTV card activated and within 2 hours all channels were available except for BBC One, however I'd been told to wait up to 72 hours for it to come on. After the three days were up it still hadn't arrived so I rang again and was told that they were having problems with BBC One and that they would re-send the signal. Between 12 and 24 hours later (I was at work...) it had arrived and I was able to enjoy the 'delights' of Celebrity Fame Academy...

Originally posted by Glennus
    I was able to enjoy the 'delights' of Celebrity Fame Academy...

for anyone else who wants to enjoy the delights of this it is available on BBCi with an Irish card. why this is available and the last one wasn't confuses me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I'm in the same boat!

4 days after subscribing I still have no BBC1, RTE1, Net2, TV3 or TG4 on my SKY sub card and I don't have BBC1 on my FTV card. I'll have to ring the FTV phone number to get them to resend the signal.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What kind of FTV card do you have? Is it the new card or the old light blue "sky digital" one?

Just want to confirm if the new cards work side by side like the older ones did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The new cards do work fine with the old cards. I can confirm this as I switch cards on my main digi-box. The new card is the BBC card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rebelyell

I also have had the same probs with a new installation (27 2 2003), They now acknowledge they have a problem which they said should be sorted by the weekend, I have given them until next Monday, Then the bucks stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

Re: those who mentioned BBC1 not appearing it took six days for mine to come through after activation (new style FTV card). BBC2 etc were quick to appear.

I telephoned sky today after 3 times of supposedly 're-sending the signal'. I spoke to one of the supervisors who said that they would ring me in 72 hours to let me know the full story, if none of my channels (rte1,net3,tv3,tg4,bbc1) come on before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by muffinhead
    I telephoned sky today after 3 times of supposedly 're-sending the signal'. I spoke to one of the supervisors who said that they would ring me in 72 hours to let me know the full story, if none of my channels (rte1,net3,tv3,tg4,bbc1) come on before then.

Irish subscription cards without BBC1 & the Irish channels usualy are able to receive BBC2(3 regions), ITV, C4 & C5 + (bbc radio 5live & talksport radio) if you tune them in on the "Add Channels" function..

Alot of people would much prefer these channels to the Irish ones.. try it out! You may end up not wanting your card "fixed" in the end!

Originally posted by Sky Digi Kid
    The new cards do work fine with the old cards. I can confirm this as I switch cards on my main digi-box. The new card is the BBC card.

Just one query and i am not sure if this question has been asked before, But do the 'new' repolacement FTV cards have to be activivated when we get them or are they ready to go?

Irish subscription cards without BBC1 & the Irish channels usualy are able to receive BBC2(3 regions), ITV, C4 & C5 + (bbc radio 5live & talksport radio) if you tune them in on the "Add Channels" function..
    Has anybody tried this on the new faulty cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muffman

I cant receive any of the RTE stuff... I have an Irish Sub but it I am living abroad... I always put it down to the signal not being transmitted on the southern beam...

Same problem with Hallmark and a few other crappy ones

Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That is a different problem you have 'muffman'. All those channels you are missing are on Astra 2D (which is focused on the UK and Ireland). You could try and get a bigger dish or a more senstive digibox to improve Astra 2D reception.

Note that the BBC are meant to be also moving all their channels to Astra 2D at the end of May.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by muffman
    I cant receive any of the RTE stuff... I have an Irish Sub but it I am living abroad... I always put it down to the signal not being transmitted on the southern beam...

Same problem with Hallmark and a few other crappy ones

Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

These are carried on 2D which has a much narrower footprint than the other satellites.

Tony

I telephoned SKY for the 5th time - it's been 2 weeks since I got sky installed and still no Irish channels or BBC1.

Anyway, the friendly robot gave me a telephone number to get a replacement card as "a lot of Irish residents are experiencing problems with the new Sky viewing cards".

The telephone number is: 004487024350000

My new Sky card is on its way!
    Fingers crossed it works this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rebelyell

Ok , It appears we have been given Uk Sky Cards, did a little research, go to add new channels, Stick in the following, Freq = 10.832, polarisation = H, Symbol rate 22.0, FEC 5/6, Job done, you should have a load of ITV variations , So now I think I will stay Stum , Do a proper job on my terrestial aerial And watch a few Grand prix's without a moron like peter collins telling me about who he met the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 afterburn

If you do a bit of digging around with the frequencies you'll also get bb2/bb3/bb4/bbc24news/itv1/itv2/utv/channel4 and more varients....

Still bbc1 and the irish channels are blocked though.....

Originally posted by carrolls

Has anybody tried this on the new faulty cards?

12 days later I get my question answered.
    There must not be a lot of faulty cards banging about.
    I would leavethe card the way it is, and not ask Sky for a working card.
    BBC1 will be there in 2 months time anyway.
    And you can always stick up a Yagi for RTE/TV3.

Advertisement