Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Advertising

Options
  • 04-03-2003 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

What are the current rules on Political (& Religious & Trade Union) Advertising in Ireland?

Political advertising (save Party Political Broadcasts) seems to have died, but certain "lobbying" type advertising remains (e.g. Ryanair slagging the minister and trade associations campaigning against tax changes).

While certain types of advertising is banned (Irish Catholic "non-religious" advertising on radio) others are permitted (the joint campaign by the main churches last year).

Adverts taking one particualr side in a trade dispute seem to have been banned, but you still see companies "apologising for inconvenience caused by .... industrial action".

It all seems a bit confusing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by daveirl
    I saw an ad recently asking for submissions from people to Dermot Ahern's ministry about a new bill.
    And I think this is fair enough as it means a wider section of the community can comment than otherwise be the case. In "Yes Minister" parlance it is government business, not politics. I am talking about partisan advertising.

Advertisement