Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regarding looks

• 05-03-2003 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a chat with one of my mates the other day, and he feels that he cant get any good looking women at all. He says that the only women who would approach him are 'fat mingers', who would try it on with him in pubs and nightclubs. He also tells me that any of the women he has fancied have never felt the same about him. He thinks all the good looking girls wouldnt go near him, although I have never seen him try to go after a good looking girl alot. If he is predominantly approached by ugly women is he himself ugly? He posed that very question to me, and I was curious to find out what you all think? I think its an interesting question. Would the ugly girls know their ugly and 'aim lower' as a result?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

in my experiance i dont think it matters what you look like unless you're really fecking dire to look at! Im not good looking at all and probably a bit overweight but ive been with plenty of women. Some girls who are full of themselves or just too picky wont go for anyone but a total hunk type bloke but the girls ive been with have all been lovely looking and have liked me for who i am not what i look like. Just go chat to whoever you fancy. If they like you back excellent if not feck it someone is bound to fancy you unless you're a complete bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

one of the lads i know can get off with any woman he likes, anyone, we asked the girls in our group why this was and it has nothin to do with looks. He succedes cuz he is able to talk to anyone if he puts his mind to it, and i dont mean a friendly chat either, even women who want nothin to do with him at the start always come round cuz he can charm the pants off a brass monkey! :D But seriously if you can talk with them and flirt properly with them, you have basically won the battle. Not saying that looks arent important but there not everything! Hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mad_Patrick

mooman is dead right. It's all about charm and confidence. I wen t through a very dry patch recently and I'm back on form now so to speak coz I got confidence and I realised girls aren't into the shy, not knowing what to say dithering idiot. Be upfront, hold your head up and try to make them laugh is what you should tell your friend to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have found that the more beautiful a woman is - the more of a head wreck they turn out to be!

Being with someone because of their looks is just a waste of time (in the long run). Maybe the reason he can't get a woman is because he is so shallow that women don't want to touch him with a barge pole. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

agreed gordon,

but sometimes its worth it:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I agree with Mooman too. Additional point though, tell your mate to stop entertaining 'fat mingers' as he puts it. He needs to set his sights a bit higher, and doing 'fat mingers' will only keep him relegated to lower echelons of society. So, tell him to stay away from girls like that and concentrate on the better looking one's. But for the life of me, I don't know why he wants to go after girls with good looks only - they come with their own stipulations, just like mingers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Girls definately go for looks no matter what people say. When they look around a room they look for the decent looking blokes. Some less attractyive women might just go straight for the less attractive man to save hassle and it's usually a win-win situation.

The only way an 'ugly' bloke will get a gorgeous woman is if he can strike up a converstaion somehow and then is interesting enough to keep her talking for a while. If he has cash as well and looks well groomed then he's also in with a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

everyone will have their own criteria or wish list in a partner, and rightly so.
    however, you also have to have the same criteria that fit onto other peoples wish lists.

peoples wish lists dont change because they are 'ugly' or 'good-looking'. every woman wants a george clooney look a like, and every bloke wants kylie.
    (dont take this literaly, its an exageratted example, i dont want the rest of the thread debating the merits of george and kylie)

however....

its worth noting that people with low self esteem will attract people with 'lower calibre' merits. or simply put, other people with low self esteem.

if you are positive, easy going, and world worry free, you will find yourself talking to the most bizarre and wonderful people. its all about being yourself and losing the stigma that you cant talk to someone because you deem them to be ugly or stuck up or whatever. if you chat to people you will often find they react favourably. if you talk to a girl and try to get in 10 enuendos a minute in the hope she will pick up on them and drag you home for rampent anal sex, then youre in the wrong bar. if you chat to someone about 'stuff' you will find they will open up.

and if you find that you are talking to the wrong people, ie. the fat mingers of the world, well remember, they may have good looking friends, whats wrong with talking to fat mingers, and lastly, they may be drunker than you, and lowering their standards........

Originally posted by thegills
    Girls definately go for looks no matter what people say.

and what exactly is worng with that?

if youre in a bar, and you are looking for someone to snog, do you automatically look for an ugly bird?

or do you act all cool and aloof and never get a snog?

simple fact is, that if you had it your way, the women would be falling over themselves to be with you. but its not going to happen. because people will always go for someone that they find attractive. and rightly so. and the thing is, that good looking blokes will have the nerve to strike up a conversation. they have self esteem. and women will respond to someone who comes up to them ad say hello.
    if you had the nerve to do it, youd get chatting to women as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Here’s a chance to apply my patented (well patent pending) English league system to the way we date.

In English soccer there are five main divisions.

Premier League
    First Division
    Second Division
    Third Division
    Conference

Right so break people up into five categories

Premier league Hot
    First division Good Looking
    Second Ok/ Average
    Third Not Great
    Conference Wrecked

So Premier league teams usually only play each other so only Premier league teams beat (or score) each other.

A First division team will sometime beat a premier division team. No one really makes a big deal about it.

While it’s very unlikely and rare for a second or lower team to beat the best, but it still happens and when it does the annoying bastards never let you hear the end of it even if it was during a sand storm in 1964.

So Second Division mixes with second division and third division teams play third division teams. All the while a Premier division team can beat any team they want. When ever they want, and they do and have competitions based around it.

Am I making any sense?

Now as teams like Fulham proved you can spend money and climb the divisions.

And as Man City proved you can let your standards go and drop from the top to the middle, but you can always make it back.

And some people are like Wolves no matter how hard they try they can never make it to the top.

So you could be a lower division team with potential and climb a couple of division or you could have been at the top but gravity and complacency is taking effect and pulling you down.

And here is why I’ll never find true love, because I waste my time on irrelevant theories like this that have me shunned from all decent society. :p

So to answer you question your friend is stuck in the third division and will have to work hard if he wants to taste the riches of division two football.

PS. This is a joke I don't believe my own lies, if I'm somehow offending someone I'm sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I dont think that ugliness looks for ugliness and good looking looks for goodlooking. There was an interesting programme on Discovery the other day about women at different times of the month and that they go for different kinds of men at various stages, but without getting scientific, in my opinion people are attracted to the opposite sex due to different characteristics. Maybe he looks approachable. But then they realise he's the type of bloke that calls people "fat mingers" and they realise that he has no depth at all. Think about it if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

lol nice post there FANJ :)

made sense to me anyway, maybe because im also
    because I waste my time on irrelevant theories like this that have me shunned from all decent society.

bit made me actually laugh out loud ;o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Mooman is right to a degree. The v good looking guys (if they have the confidence ) will always get first pickings but the smooth talkign charmer who ain't afraid of rejection can prob get the panties off many a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

The last lady I ended up chatting to one night told me..... that when she dreamed she usually dreamed that she was a female version of Rambo... Rambette.

How could I not want to know her better?

LOL

I nominate that for post of the month! :D

I have come to the conclusion that if you talk to women as just women.. and not "I want into your pants" mode... They tend to like you more.

you really have no idea what you are talking about do you?

[edit = in that "i want to get into your pants mode"?, you talk to women like you would anyone else and if they like you then so be it.. i thought like the above while i was still a adolescant so if you still are i'll let you away with it, but "you shall learn my young apprentice" ;) ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

I notice no girls have replied to this? (so im first hehe)

Anyway we all know the whole beauty is in the eye of the beholder lark and im a very firm believer in this!

When i go out to pub/clubs etc its not to try and score i just go for the music and/or the company of the people im going out with. I dont attempt to chat people up because i couldnt be arsed really!

Anyway back to my point...
    A lot of the girls im friends with are going out with guys whom i personally find unattractive there's nothing physically displeasing about them as such but they just wouldnt be my type but my friends are cracked into them! I mean Brad Pitt (i dont like him myself its just an example) would have nothing on their boyfriends! Similarly what i do find attractive my girlfriends might very often disagree.

I go for personality more than anything. The only aesthetic aspect i really look for is someone who is taller than me im around 5ft 9 so I would like if i was to go out with someone that they be taller than me. This even is not essential because as i said personality is most important to me.

I think its the same for most girls with regards to personality (the girls who have i think copped on and realised that a lexus and a huge eh.... wallet aren't the makings of a good relationship)The guys i hang out with often comment upon seeing a couple pass by or whatever "what the hell is she doin' with yer man?! She's F*ckin gorgeous and look at the state of him!" So its not all aboout this nonsense with good lookiin girls only go for good looking guys whatever people find attractive is what they'll go for at the end of the day.

Someone made the point about it depending on women's time of the month and this is in fact true studies have shown that around the tiime of their period women will dress in sexier etc when going out because they're unconsciously looking for the most suitable mate with whom they could have children. Their sex drives increase and they are more likely to be open to suggestion *ahem*
    Also around the time of their period women tend to find the more rugged man most attractive as he appears to be the most manly/developed and suitable father type however after their period women find more cleanly shaven "boyish" (wrong word but meh! you hopefully get what i mean) lookng men.
    Its all to do with psychology in that regard there is an in built blue print in a womans brain which is telling her what type of male she needs to be looking for to give her offspring the best chance for survival and the best chance of being healthy and strong etc.
    I could go on but im sure if you've even bothered to read this far you're extremely bored already.....
    Sorry for lack of coherance im tired and have to be up in 4 hours....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Its not something Id write a thesis on... but I think there is something in it

imo you are 100% right Mercie!
    I think women can see that "get into your pants mode" a 100 paces off, it can be intimidating and so straight off the bloke has less of a chance, as the women tends to think, 'well he's only after one thing'! (unless of course the women is out on the pull herself, in this case, ignore the last sentence!) :D

Our of interest Chief.... would you compliment a woman you are talking to on her looks? If you are talking to her "all normal"?

depends really.

I always try and talk to women like i would anyone else that i have recently met (i.e crack a few jokes, get a few ice breakers in there and get them talking, finding out what they like and going on from there, im really quite easy going..)

most of the women friends i have even told me coming up and trying to stick in pickup lines or starting off a conversation with "i think your gorgeous" just makes you look like a gobshìte and dosent come across so well.. Prolly why i enjoy talking to women is because i had good friendships with them while i was back home, finding out alot about what goes on "on the other side of the fence so to speak" while i was young really helped me aswell :)

I've always just tryed to act "myself" ( well, most of the time :p ), although if after talking to her for a bit yes i will complement her on her looks if I feel the need to do so.

• Advertisement

and i was a bit drunk while i made that post last night so apologies if it came off kinda rude (which by the looks of it pretty much did :o )
    'well he's only after one thing'! (unless of course the women is out on the pull herself, in this case, ignore the last sentence!)

this is what i mean about act myself "most of the time", dont get me wrong i must have that "get into your pants mode" on after drinking copious amounts of booze more than a few times..

it has worked on a good few occasions though so.. :p (but only for those 'one nighters' that beruthiel mentioned)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Tbh, if I'm out in a club and i want someone to chat up (for a snog, etc.) why on earth would I *want* a scangy looking guy?

Long term, looks dont matter but for justa snog then they definitely do.

Had a fantastic line used on me the other night:

Guy walks up to me, turns me around and holds my face in his hands and goes to snog me saying "MARY!!! JESUS YOU LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT I DIDN'T RECOGNISE YOU!!!" - my name aint Mary :) Full marks for his absolute denial of the fact that he didn't know me at all and insisted I was Mary. :)

It is a matter of personality, I would be perfectly willing to snog someone who made me laugh breifly and seemed to have some sort of personality rather than continue to look around for a good looking guy :)

Confidence / flirting ability really helps.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Casan
    He says that the only women who would approach him are 'fat mingers', who would try it on with him in pubs and nightclubs.
    That's your friend's problem, he's a lazy slob who prefers to sit back in the hope that some cheap slapper will inadvertently trip over him and land underneath him, rather than chat up a girl himself.
    Originally posted by Gordon
    I have found that the more beautiful a woman is - the more of a head wreck they turn out to be!
    True, but more a case of their heads being a bit miswired to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

let captain moonlight deal with the mingers.

I'm a reasonably ugly bloke, no more purty than say your typical well endowed irishman, but still manage to score with extremely sexy women. Come to think off it, i've never got off with a minger. Personally i dont think ugly attracts ugly because i have seen many a fugly bloke with a beautiful women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You tend to notice things like how blokes who are in relationships with women always seem to have that edge that makes them more attractive to other women. I think they get that edge because they have lost that "get into your pants mode" when out for a night.

IIRC, there's a natural reason for this. If you have sex, afterwards you give off pheremones which lets the opposite sex know that you're capable of mating. So someone in a relationship is (wide-sweeping remark here) getting some semblence of regular sex, which the opposite sex picks up and subconciously finds them more desirable.

I've noticed myself when being in long-term relationships you're beating people away with a stick (well not quite but you get the idea), but otherwise you can be waiting quite a while for any remote attention.

Originally posted by Lemming
    If you have sex, afterwards you give off pheremones which lets the opposite sex know that you're capable of mating.

Another good reason to unload the gun before going out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I don't understand this leagues crap.

Frankly, if someone considers themselves to be "out of your league", are they really worth the bother?

Do guys think women think "I'm sorry, I can't get to know you because I'm better than you."?

Quite frankly, I'd rather not put in the effort to get to know this type of person.

The league system was a joke.

Be like me and just support a team.

OK I'm a peeping Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It might be better just to put it out of your mind.

Get to know people (in general, not just women), as friends. If the women you get to know want more, then you make your choice if you want them the same way.

I'm doing that at the moment, and my head it less wrecked than ever before. I'm just leaving it all up to God.

This only helps with relationships, not quick shags. If that's what you're looking for, I cannot offer any help (even if I wanted to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Another good reason to unload the gun before going out

LMFAO :D I vote post of the month :D

Originally posted by smiles

It is a matter of personality, I would be perfectly willing to snog someone who made me laugh breifly and seemed to have some sort of personality rather than continue to look around for a good looking guy :)

Confidence / flirting ability really helps.

its surprising the amount of women who wonder why blokes dont come up to them and chat them up. i guess guys are shy too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭coco

Well honestly i just wish that there was a guy out there that can make me laugh and is not afraid to do something stupid in front of me and not get embaressed! Oh and another big one not act different around me when he is with his friends i dont ask much! but if i just met a guy and he was sound and good crack and he was not that great lookin id have to say id think id shift him before id shift a good lookin guy with no personality!

Oh ya guys why d f**k do ye use pick up lines like:

Hows about a shag?
    Meet me in d corner?
    I want to get into your pants?
    Wats your number so i can txt sweet nothings into your phone?

And the crappest one yet!

I was lookin at you and I think you were lookin at me hows bout a shift?

By the way to all the fellas that i have said this to ive told them to go f**k themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Also if you havd a boyfriend? would you let him into your house through the back door as it were?

Thx

lol mercy yer nothing if not forward :)
    BTW I am 42, size 26, located in achill and i am 3' 5"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by coco

Oh ya guys why d f**k do ye use pick up lines like:

Hows about a shag?
    Meet me in d corner?
    I want to get into your pants?
    Wats your number so i can txt sweet nothings into your phone?

And the crappest one yet!

I was lookin at you and I think you were lookin at me hows bout a shift?

By the way to all the fellas that i have said this to ive told them to go f**k themselves!

to be honest i have never used or know anyone that uses pickup lines, id say it denpends on the person and their upbringing, like those rough lookin red faced lads who come in from the country straight off the back of a sheep lorry, smellin of brut who go to mass diligently everysun and play at least one form of gaa, they are mad into chat up lines, they think they are the best thing since butter....seriously though it depends on the fellas the lads who go through life pretty shyly until college and then break out of their shells think lines are the only way to score with women (and in most college envoirments it works cuz the women are usually fukked and would do anything)....so i dont really think im coming to a point but ill throw one in anyway, most lads dont know any better.....

p.s im from the country, i have a pinkish face, i have played at least one form of gaa and i have once used brut aquatonic so dont think the above was racisist or a generalisation or anything, thats to anyone who wants to give out about my post, and any one who does is sad, except the moderators...feel free to delete..........and i have no problem with butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

PM me your moby!

But how do I know you're not a stalker and slasher, you Tyrone Tittilater!

Jesus.

etho_ and tiltie, I'm amazed you haven't got it on yet. Can you "get a room funboys" already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AngelAine

Confidence is the real factor in scoring but I have to say looks do play a part in it all...

Being honest i'd never approach someone who I thought wasn't goodlooking but on the other hand I doubt a fella would approach me if he didn't fancy me or findf me attractive, you see, it works both ways.

I love confidence in a fella, someone who is willing to put their pride on the line for a while....and trust me theres not many ugly or goodlooking fellas who will do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TopGun

People Please,Come on....What is wrong with you all. I know that personality and the inner beauty are great trades to have But You go after a girl you fancy. :rolleyes: Ur not thinking to urself "wow I wonder what her thoughts towards pollution are" And girls are simple to talk to!!!!

U LIKE A GIRL,GO FOR IT. There's a certain element of risk in everything.

"Women are meant to be loved not understood" Oscar Wilde.

Women are meant to be loved not understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭coco

Sorry guys im from wexford and before you say

the only think that came from wexford is nackers and strawberrys and your no strawberry!

im none of these im from the country and yes ive got them pick up lines from many a fella and believe me when i tell you they werent all from wexford!

Like wats the deal like all they have to say is would you like to shift or meet or something not something stupid! its goin to be a yes or no!

Why make it so stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by coco

Like wats the deal like all they have to say is would you like to shift it goin to be a yes or no!

Why make it so stupid?

Because it's a long time since some of us dated 14 year olds.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 devine

Well im sorry but i dont agree with you logic the thing is shes right fellas arent straight forward they just ask stupid questions
    Fair juice to coco at least!

And anyway you could be the type of person that could ask those stupid qustions in the first place!(Hows bout a shag???)

Pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by devine
    Well im sorry but i dont agree with you logic the thing is shes right fellas arent straight forward they just ask stupid questions
    Fair juice to coco at least!

And anyway you could be the type of person that could ask those stupid qustions in the first place!(Hows bout a shag???)

Pathetic

Sorry it seems I misunderstood what coco was saying. I though she said "Whyd on't you just go up to someone and ask them for a shift" when infact i think she's saying "Why do men just go up and ask for a shift instead of saying something interesting" something along those lines.. anyway no need to get your panties in a twist.

Pathetic.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TopGun

Sorry guys im from wexford and before you say

I'd say coco and devine has a pedigree of nacker in them alrite.
    Women dont use pick up line's they just walk over and try and jump ya.Now who did you say were pathetic.

Fair play logic1. well said.

I think we've strayed from the original post tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 devine

Excuse me im from wicklow!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement