Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD v P4

• 05-03-2003 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

I know that this question has been asked like 100 times
    but which is better

ATHLON xp 2200

or

PENTIUM 4 1.8GHz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Which is better, the B-52 or the SR-71? I suppose it matters if you're bombing or running surveillance.

You're going to have to give more information as to what you want to do with the processors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

in terms of pure CPU power, the XP by a good bit. There was an article on tomshardware where they put an XP1800 up against a P4 2G, the p4 was slightly ahead, but that would be expected.

a system has to have the right balance of parts to run nice though and this again is back to what it will be used for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Given those exact two CPUs, the 2200 is obviously better for most tasks. The P4 would probably inch ahead in SSE2 enabled media encoding tasks.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

If you value peace and quiet, do yourself a favour and get a Pentium - feckin cooling setups, bar water and the more esoteric ones, are bloody too noisy and you'll send too much time fretting over CPU temps blah-dee-blah-blah. I know I've a XP2000! :p (Still a great processor in its own right)

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the xp2200 whips around a p4 1.8

u have to get the p4 2ghz+ where the p4 can match and better the athlon.

Even still, the benchmarks seem to be divided between the two mostly. The hammer's with sse2 should be a bit special :)

tho the new 800mhz fsb p4's should be back on top soon (bear in mind that the fsb on the hammer is basically at processor speed, 2ghz+ really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i bought an xp2200+ lsat week and its the bees knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

IMO when comparing the p4 and the AMD, you should look beyond the AMD's XP ****+ rating and just compare the actual speeds of the Athlon to the p4 preformance equivalent and then look at the prices of each and then you will see a clear picture of which is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The AMD 2200 is undervalued and the P4s overpriced. The Athlon XP 2200 is priced competively with the Celeron range, not the P4!

Comparing Athlon to Intel Range, its nigh impossible for Intel to win, with the possible exception of the Athlon 3000+.

It should be noted that if you are interested in overclocking, the P4 1.8 is a rather good CPU.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the best value p4 would be the 2.4ghz, the cheapest northwood money can buy(and everyone knows how well they overclock). it would also beat the majority of athlons except the newer 2600+ and upwards (but they are waaay overpriced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

I recommend for the 2.4 Ghz Pentium - best performance vs price ratio IMO

Pricing is also interesting. If you look at www.pricewatch.co.uk you will see a big difference between the 2200XP and the P4 1.8. But if you look at www.pricewatch.com for the US, then the prices are almost the same?!??!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm going with a P4 2.4B, I've had bad experiences with the chipsets available for AMD processors in the past so I don't trust 'em now.

Plus that whole naming scheme is, well, 'gh3y' is the best way to put it. I remember when we all used to slag Cyrix over that ****. :)

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'd also recommend the 2.4B. Its good value, and you have no cooling or chipset problems to worry about. The 1.8A would be only be worth buying for overclocking. Clansman: did you actually read 1 of the 600 other threads on this board about the same subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i missed that post..... sorry............... could i get a copy of that post mod?

Some one said that the xp been to load, well thats b*** SH**.
    I have a the 2200xp with a 19dBa fan, i cant hear a thing.
    And i have it overclocked. not by much, and i havent had any
    problems.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

just get a fan with a large circumference and low rotation speed. They do the job just as well and are very quiet. My CPU on the 1800 is fine, its the sheggin cheap codegen PSU thats the prob!!

Advertisement