Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proteins & carbohydrates

• 05-03-2003 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Can any1 remember that rule about mixing Proteins & carbohydrates (?). I think it's supposed to be bad because your body uses more energy burning it than it actually gets.

But I could be VERY wrong =) I did home ec. about 5 years ago!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i for one have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There is no such thing as negative calories, all food groups will give you more energy than it takes to break them down. (exception is water).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A diet my friend does works on that kinda thing.

He says that carbohydrates take a long time to be broken down in your body but they are broken down first (I may not be 100% on this but the gist remains). Therefore if you eate proteins and carbohydrates (chicken and tatties) the potatoes will be the first to be digested which takes some time, and then the body gets round to the protein. The problem with this is something to do with the fact that you get fat more easily. It could be wrong as I've just gone into self-doubt mode after what I have just written and am starting to query life, the universe and my sock drawer.

So my mate eats protein with no carbs to make him lose weight. He can eat carbs but only carbs on their own... or something. Sorry if I confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Well it's weigt gain I'm after so it looks like I've nothing to worry about. I definatly remember the home-ec dragon Costello telling us something about mixing em. Or at least about mixing something.

Well so far, there's definatly something, and if you mix it with something else...something happens, which could be good or bad. Thanks for the clarification folks! Keep 'em coming =)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    ...all food groups will give you more energy than it takes to break them down. (exception is water).

And celery, apparently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement