Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs on the town

• 05-03-2003 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

what a night my bro is a big Spurs fan and we went to a friendly they lost but the players came to the hotel they were staying in and we were there we got 9 autographs even better we follwed Sheringham and co down the street into a bar Anderton and Sullivan were chatting up women and there was about 10 women around Sheriingham we met King Freund Tarrico Acimovic.
    Hoddle wasn't there but Gorman was, said they'd get a severe dressing down Hughton had a chat to us also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

You're brother is a B-Sky-B West Brit muppet. The only real Irish soccer fans there tonight where the Bohs supporters. Spurs are lucky they didn't lose 6-0.

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=9071&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

"B-Sky-B West Brit muppet"

if you want to abuse people with that plastic republican rubbish; this is not the place...

more of that and I'll have to ban you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

There were Spurs fans but my brother was the only singing an absolutle disgrace you made a comment like that but I have to tell ya I'm not suprised nothing new about the anti english brigade.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by sligoliner
    You're brother is a B-Sky-B West Brit muppet. The only real Irish soccer fans there tonight where the Bohs supporters.

coz the spurs supporters would have been supporting an english team, and therefor not an irish one?

west brit muppet. i like it. everyone in ireland is a west brit as far as im concerned. come to think of it, we should give ireland back to the english and tell them we are sorry for making a mess of the place.
    dont you agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

One for the Spurs 'fans'

Many years ago while working in London, I came across a young lady who was nicknamed 'Tottenham' McGill by one of the wags in our office.

The reason? She had seven sisters, coming as she did from a large rural Irish family of eight daughters.

Geddit?

You don't have to think it's funny, (it isn't, it's incredibly corny) but calling yourself a Spurs fan if you don't understand it is a bit rich.

IMHO.

• Advertisement

What a great feeling.
    Nine of the team that played for Spurs against West
    Ham at the weekend lined out against the Irish
    champions at Dalymount Park last night. Along with
    them came hoards of 'Oirish' Spors 'supporters' who
    had managed to drag themselves away from their
    barstools and armchairs. Boy, were they in for a big
    surprise. Laden with cameras, hats, scarves (no
    headbands) and fizzy drinks, they came expecting to
    see their heroes hand out a drubbing to an outfit they
    deemed inferior in everyway.
    It wasn't long before they were forced to think again!
    Bohs came out of the traps with all guns blazing,
    firing on all cylinders, throwing everything at spurs
    bar the kitchen sink (and other such clichés). It only
    took eighty seconds for Dublin's finest to send the
    home fans into delirium with a goal from ex New
    England Revolution striker Paul Keegan. For the next
    twenty five minutes Bohs dominated with sterling
    performances on the wings from Mark Rutherford and
    Bobby Ryan (Ryan Ryan). Kevin Hunt (Hunt Hunt) and
    Stephen Caffrey completed the irresistable force in
    midfield and for the opening period, neither put a
    foot wrong.
    Near enough to the half hour mark though, Spurs got a
    goal back with Gary Doherty scrambling home from a
    corner that the Bohs defence failed to clear. Out came
    the cameras and the ironic tricolurs with spurs crests
    on them.
    It wasn't long however, before these poor souls were
    confused again. It started to rain! 'This never
    happens in the pub or in our living rooms' the
    assembled rabble mused. Oh well, at least they were
    sure that their heroes from north London would put on
    an exhibition display in the second half.
    Out came the teams, and within two minutes there was
    another goal. Confusion abound! It was scored by the
    Irish side! Colin Hawkins capitalised on some sloppy
    defending to head home a Bobby Ryan (Ryan Ryan)
    corner. Once again the Bohs Fans were in full voice
    with such classics as "Three days in training" and
    "You can shove your English football up your arse!"
    The cake was well and truely iced with a goal from
    Bohs debutant Robbie Doyle, with only his second touch
    of the game.
    If anything, Bohs could have had four or five. Mark
    Rutherford and the impressive Andrei Peroplyotkin, on
    loan from Southampton both went close. What a night.
    What an education for the Irish premiership brigade.
    Maybe domestic football isn't that bad after all.
    Maybe one or two might return to see the champions of
    Ireland defend their league title and challenge for a
    place in the Champions' League. Maybe some of them
    will see the irony of having an Irish Tricolour with a
    Spurs crest on it at a game against an Irish side.
    Whatever. At least Stephen Kenny's red and black army
    had fun.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why would someone from Sligo be happy about a Bohs win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Maybe some of them will see the irony of having an Irish Tricolour with a Spurs crest on it at a game against an Irish side.
    had fun.

Yes, you are right. What would us "armchair" fans know about football. We should be ashamed of ourselves, none of us have ever spent a wet Friday night watching a ding-dong encounter between Longford Town and Dundalk, so obviously we aren't real fans...

As somebody who feels equally at home in White Hart Lane and Tolka Park I find your rant to be absolute ar*e. Don't tar every fan of an English team with the same brush. How many of the "real" fans who were there to support Bohs have Sky Sports? How many are Celtic fans? A good few I'd say.

I could choose to judge the Bohs fans by the ar*eholes who got themselves arrested before the match in the Jodi Stand, but then that would be narrow-minded, wouldn't it?

As for the match itself, Bohs were indeed impressive. Spurs were abysmal, and a few of those highly-paid "stars" need to take a long hard look at themselves before next pulling on a Spurs jersey. The result was entirely deserved.

Now, can we please leave the "real" fan crapolla at the door? Its a little tiring...

Time to get the valium out it was a friendly not a UEFA cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Sligoman - You're a TV3 wannabe Dubliner muppet. Supporting Bohs when you should be supporting Sligo Rovers or Finn Harps.

How do you know that Smuckers brother doesn't support The Rovers or some other Irish team. 99% of League of Ireland fans support English teams. I support St. Pats and Liverpool, I don't even mind Newcastle doing well either.

You're a typical Bohs supporter, all vocal because they won some trophies recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Thats what I was wondering too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

What a great feeling.
    Nine of the team that played for Spurs against West
    Ham at the weekend lined out against the Irish
    champions at Dalymount Park last night. Along with
    them came hoards of 'Oirish' Spors 'supporters' who
    had managed to drag themselves away from their
    barstools and armchairs. Boy, were they in for a big
    surprise. Laden with cameras, hats, scarves (no
    headbands) and fizzy drinks, they came expecting to
    see their heroes hand out a drubbing to an outfit they
    deemed inferior in everyway.
    It wasn't long before they were forced to think again!
    Bohs came out of the traps with all guns blazing,
    firing on all cylinders, throwing everything at spurs
    bar the kitchen sink (and other such clichés). It only
    took eighty seconds for Dublin's finest to send the
    home fans into delirium with a goal from ex New
    England Revolution striker Paul Keegan. For the next
    twenty five minutes Bohs dominated with sterling
    performances on the wings from Mark Rutherford and
    Bobby Ryan (Ryan Ryan). Kevin Hunt (Hunt Hunt) and
    Stephen Caffrey completed the irresistable force in
    midfield and for the opening period, neither put a
    foot wrong.
    Near enough to the half hour mark though, Spurs got a
    goal back with Gary Doherty scrambling home from a
    corner that the Bohs defence failed to clear. Out came
    the cameras and the ironic tricolurs with spurs crests
    on them.
    It wasn't long however, before these poor souls were
    confused again. It started to rain! 'This never
    happens in the pub or in our living rooms' the
    assembled rabble mused. Oh well, at least they were
    sure that their heroes from north London would put on
    an exhibition display in the second half.
    Out came the teams, and within two minutes there was
    another goal. Confusion abound! It was scored by the
    Irish side! Colin Hawkins capitalised on some sloppy
    defending to head home a Bobby Ryan (Ryan Ryan)
    corner. Once again the Bohs Fans were in full voice
    with such classics as "Three days in training" and
    "You can shove your English football up your arse!"
    The cake was well and truely iced with a goal from
    Bohs debutant Robbie Doyle, with only his second touch
    of the game.
    If anything, Bohs could have had four or five. Mark
    Rutherford and the impressive Andrei Peroplyotkin, on
    loan from Southampton both went close. What a night.
    What an education for the Irish premiership brigade.
    Maybe domestic football isn't that bad after all.
    Maybe one or two might return to see the champions of
    Ireland defend their league title and challenge for a
    place in the Champions' League. Maybe some of them
    will see the irony of having an Irish Tricolour with a
    Spurs crest on it at a game against an Irish side.
    had fun.

if this is the highlight of your season.....

besides, i have to admit that white hart lane is a lot nicer than dalymount park.

now, go back to your bog in sligo.

besides, shouldnt you be playing a good catholic game of Gaa or something instead of being interested in the likes of that english, or 'east-brit' game of soccer?
    im sure we can get some religious stuff in as well if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Jesus, that's one stupid ****ing question.

People in this country don't bat an eyelid when someone says that they support ManUre, Liverfools or Cel-thicks. But support a team that's actually from the same country (yet not within 300 metre radius of their house) and onlookers are left scratching their heads?

For all you know that guy might live two blocks from Dalymount park, or have old ties with the club , or have a relative on the team, or maybe he likes rooting for an underdog .... or maybe just maybe like to see an Irish team do well against a foriegn one irregardless of what part of Ireland they come from?

And besides, I don't like Cork City, Shels or Shamrock Rovers but I'd still be behind them if they were playing a game against a foriegn team. A lot of 'supporters' in this country don't seem to get that, especially when it comes to playing games against their beloved British opposition.

So as far as I'm concerned if a bunch of so called 'BSB WestBrits' can support Arsenholes and Manure then it's perfectly logical by me for a Sligoman to support Bohs!

And WWM, I agree with you about handing ourselves back to England btw. After all anything good in this country originally came from them : architecture, trade, languague, football, sky news (<- kidding!).

Originally posted by Pigman II
    Jesus, that's one stupid ****ing question.

People in this country don't bat an eyelid when someone says that they support ManUre, Liverfools or Cel-thicks.

Sligoline seems to take offence to Irish people supporting Spurs, which puts him firmly in the glasshouse with a sack of gravel.

Too subtle for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

besides, shouldnt you be playing a good catholic game of Gaa or something instead of being interested in the likes of that english, or 'east-brit' game of soccer?

Does our friend from Sligo have any comment on the numerous Bohs flags on the unused terrace which had the insignia of Dublin GAA on them? Ironic, considering the fact that the GAA has hardly been friendly to the foreign game over the years...

I wonder how the Rovers fans opposed to a groundshare in Tallaght with the GAA will feel about those flags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>I could choose to judge the Bohs fans by the ar*eholes who got themselves arrested before the match in the Jodi Stand, but then that would be narrow-minded, wouldn't it?

:eek:

Likewise you could judge the Spurs support by the lads who came down in front of the Bohs fans to wave the English flag, deliberately provoking the Bohs fans. That one must have confused the west-Brits.

>You're a typical Bohs supporter, all vocal because they won some trophies recently.

Stick to matters Gillingham mate, Bohs have a hardcore support that attend regularly no matter how the team is doing. Don't patronise.

>Does our friend from Sligo have any comment on the numerous Bohs flags on the unused terrace which had the insignia of Dublin GAA on them?

Listen lads, someone from Sligo was up for Bohs. Wanted Bohs to win. Against an English team. Doesn't say anywhere that he's a "Bohs fan". Nowhere. So if people can't understand why someone from Sligo with little or no connections to either club should pick the Irish one to cheer for then they must be very confused.

Football is a game of opinions. Many Bohs fans are regular Dubs fans as well, and apart from Bohs being FROM DUBLIN (you see quite a few Amsterdam flags at Ajax games, to take just one example), there can be no complaint in that one, apart from the pathetic notion that just because we follow Irish teams we should stand alongside our Rovers brothers in the crusade to get them into their new ground. Thats the kind of plastic anti-English bollocks you hate to hear us eL fans come out with, so don't make stupid references to matters you know little or nothing about.

On a more trivial note, I believe the Spurs players were boogying at Cafe en Seine after a meal at the same location. Anyone else come across them?

I have shared opinions on Chelsea with Smuckers in the past, but this kind of celebrity worship is a little sad.

if Chels came to Dublin I'd stay out till 7 in the morning. they never came to Dublin but did come to Omagh a few years ago.

• Advertisement

You must be a blow-in, or else have a very short memory, as Chelsea pleyd Bohs in a friendly at Dalymount less then 10 years ago. Townsend, Wise and others from that mid-90s team all played. Bohs ran Chelsea ragged before the Londoners cama away with a 2-1 victory. I think.

vagely remember it but those were the days when I was in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Speaking of teams playing friendlies in Ireland can anyone remember Arsenal ever playing in Ireland in the last decade because I certainly cant? Everyone else seems to come over occasionally but not they for some reason.

Anyone have stories of footballers behaving badly. if i get time ill write up a franny jeffers classic, dominic matteo and david unsworth are also in there in a less then amusing.

>Speaking of teams playing friendlies in Ireland can anyone >remember Arsenal ever playing in Ireland

They were beaten 3-2 by Shamrock Rovers in the mid 1980's. I am sure the same Irish muppets standing there in their British jerseys filled with Irish pride were just as stupid looking as the self-loathing clowns in Dalynmont last week. The Irish are a very gullible and infantile people. They cannot resist a shiny box in the living room and what it tells them to do. This is why the Irish are the only people on the planet who show up to cheer for a foreign club against a club from their country as an expression of their Irishness. Bizzare is not the word for it. But then again, maybe the English are right - maybe we are a shower of thick, clueless Paddies. Certainly the ones who think British clubs are 'their' clubs prove this 100%.

Shame really, as the league in this country has a lot to offer, has come along in leaps and bounds in the last few years and would love to have Irish people come along an support their local club instead of developing a surreal, false and superficial TV-driven emotional sense of belonging to a club in some British city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I support pats not because I hate england but because they are my local team. Football should not be about style and image but about passion loyaltiy and comunity.
    If youre Irish and you like football you should support your local team.In fact no matter where youre from you should support youre local team if youre from crewe you should support them and not merchendise united.
    I can understand people coming form counties without a LoI team not supporting one but peolple from dublin etc its a discrace. People who support a forign team are ok but they should support and Irish team first.
    I keep an eye out for Ac Milan but if they were to play pats or any other Irish team I would chear for the Irish side. I do not go around refering to milan as "we" and "us".If you only watch the premiership because the standard is better then why not la liga or sire a both are vastly supperior technically.
    Oh but liverpool/merchendise utd/celtic have Irish links guess what Pats/Bohs etc also have irish links.These same muppets will be down in the pup during an england match chearing on the oppisition propably wering the premiersh*t jerseys as well.
    There is noting more anoying than a bunch of wolfe tones listing celtic fans singing rebel songs and saying up the ira while watching a brittish team siting on a barstool .Then going into work tomorow we were robbed."we" since when did you play for liverpool.
    I watch milan but I do not support them supporting a team is going along wind or rain and chearing on your team.Buying a jersey once a year and watching "your" team play on match of the day and reading about them in the star is not suporting a team.
    You cannot beat the atmosphere of a eircom league game. oposing fans standing chearing their team side by side with no segregation and there is never(well excluding rovers) any trouble and even the odd time when there is its only minor scuffles Ive been a pats fan for seven years and go to matches regularly and have only seen two fights at games neither of which there was any injury from.
    Rant over.
    By the way I know their are loads of spelling and gramer mistakes but I dont care.

What happens when you move house? Should you support your new local team or your old team? Suppose you support them both? Suppose they play one another? Suppose your cousin plays for a third team, does family or geography come first then?
    Suppose you support your team, let everyone else support his team, whoever that may be, and stick your righteous moralising up your hoop?

It's only a game.

>Suppose you support your team, let everyone else support his team, whoever that may be, and stick your righteous moralising up your hoop?

And we'll close the board, because there is no point in debate, right? Fool.

Advertisement