Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Laptop Keybaord be replaced.

• 05-03-2003 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine has a dell lattitute CPi celeron 366, he stepped on the keyboard and damaged it, laptop seems to function ok apart from some bent keys which dont operate or operate intermittantly.

So,

Can a laptop keyboard be replaced? would seem to be able to do so after a web search...

Anyone got a site with pics of how to do it?

Anyone know a good site/place to get a replacement k/b.

Thx,

Vex.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yes they can, you should be able to get one direct from Dell. They're a bit pricey iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Beer was spilt on my Toshiba Satellite a few weeks ago causing damage to the keyboard and I had to get it replaced.

When replacement showed up I, with a friends help, set about removing the old keyboard and installing the new one - which was -not- an easy task. It was obvious enough that the data cable from the keyboard to the motherboard was supposed to be connected by a machine, as it was incredibly thin and lining up the contacts accurately was very difficult. I got it done, but not without plenty of worry along the way that I had made a mistake attempting to do it myself!

So... the answer is yes, they can be replaced. If you're even the slightest bit unsure about your ability in replacing it yourself, it's best leaving the replacement job itself to a professional.

FWIW, The company I got the replacement Toshiba laptop keyboard from was Business Management Systems on the Greenhills Road (by the Walkinstown Roundabout). The keyboard was €49.75. Had I let their technician do the replacement job, that would have been an additional €120 (!)

Advertisement