Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB have put two new transmitters in City Centre

Options
  • 05-03-2003 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Was checking coverage map of IBB today and they've added 2 new tranmitters in city centre covering as far as cabra on northside and drimnagh on southside:

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/coverage.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If only they'd move outside the pale a little! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The average Irish WISP redefines the Pale as beginning in Clondalkin to the west and Glasnevin to the north.

Sometimes they cover a smidge (~10KM 2) of the Wicklow mountains so that they are in effect.

"Available outside Dublin"

as the mHuwarketing bunnies would have it.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Yeah, those crazy WISPs. Going where the population centres and hills are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

population centres, i wish. just under 100,000 people in Tallaght and no one seems intrested in providing broadband, think the NTL myth seems to have scared off leap/IBB/Irish Wisp etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cool that Guinness Transmitter brings it close to Palmerstown from what i can see.. still does not quite make Chapelizod but its closer than ever... one day.. maybe.

If i was them i would do may hardest to get as many up BEFORE eircom get their new adsl el cheapo package going and we all get locked into 12 month contracts with them. Those who go for it i mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

WAHEY IM in range of that guinness transmitter, about time someone brought a bit of decent BB to de northsiade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I just worked this out...total 12 month costs for BB
    Monthly Rental + Installation/12 Inc VAT

Eircom (new) 70.58
    EsatBT Res DSL 70.42
    EsatBT Bus. DSL 100.42
    eircom I-stream 125.58
    Irish Broadband 79.75
    Irish WISP 70.58

And the winner is...EsatBT by 16c (FFS!!)

Over 24 months
    Eircom (new) 62.29
    EsatBT Res DSL 65.21
    EsatBT Bus. DSL 95.21
    eircom I-stream 117.29
    Irish Broadband 63.88
    Irish WISP 59.79

C'mon Irish Broadband I thought you were competing on price!!!
    381 Euro Installation way too much...a free (or as near as dammit) install would mean a true e48 a month service and be almost e12 cheaper than the competition.

mADSL

My excel spreadsheet is loaded and I'm not afraid to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Saruman,
    Whenever I drive from town home to (poor broadbandless) Lucan, I pass by Guinness's. A little while later I pass near Chapelizod. After another while I pass Palmerstown.
    This is the way it has always been.

Why would any service that reaches Palmerstown by-pass Chapelizod?

Actually just looked at the map and while it doesn't seem to approach Palmerstown I'd say you'd be in with a shout in "Chappo".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

i still wonder where in the city center you find those 2 new transmitters, i just dont see them and i live in the IFSC which i considder fairly citer centerish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by MadsL
    I just worked this out...total 12 month costs for BB
    Monthly Rental + Installation/12 Inc VAT

Eircom (new) 70.58
    EsatBT Res DSL 70.42
    EsatBT Bus. DSL 100.42
    eircom I-stream 125.58
    Irish Broadband 79.75
    Irish WISP 70.58

This is a useful comparison.
    Are you taking account of IrishWISPs "6 months for €250" (in advance) offer? And are you counting the extra €100 for a wireless to ethernet converter that's necessary if you want to share the link with more than one machine?

And what price are you using for installation for eircom, and does that include a modem or not?

What about LEAP? (And NTL, god luv em).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

You may be saving 16 cent but are also only getting a measly 256k, half the speed of the others and the chances of being at one of the 5 exchanges that supports it are very slim so it's not really comparable.

Well done EsatBT. Prize for most useless product of the year.

"Oh but we offered 'cheap' DSL and nobody wanted it":
    EsatBT - January 2003 speaking after Eircom announced a cheaper residential 512k product

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

...should express their interest to IrishBroadBand. They say that they're trying to get a transmitter located around there. With a bit of luck the more ppl who register their interest the faster something might happen!

(PS, ask them what the almost €400 connection fee is all about, even though
    Customer Premises Equipment remains the property of Irish Broadband Internet Services Ltd.
    ???

PS, what's the power over ethernet bit all about?

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

quote:

EsatBT residential ADSL (256K) could be vapourware as well.

Nitrox, they didn't build new masts. they just put transmitters on existing ones. Have a look at the top of the ESB on Fritzwilliam St - it's like Joderell Bank up there. That where it is...bit silly if you ask me, there are much taller buildings around. But I guess the ESb have all that Fibre Optic.

Strangely, I found a length of EsatBt Fibre Optic cable just down the road the other day.

STOP PRESS:

Darn Sales people quoting ex VAT prices;

I have to correct this EsatBT pricing. The install is 151 euro inc VAT, not 125 as I calculated earlier. So that makes:

Esat Residential DSL = 72.58 a month
    Esat Business DSL = 102.58 a month

Irish Wisp prepay doesn't save that much

Without prepay offer = 70.58 pm
    With 250 prepaid = 66.92 pm

IBB compare badly with Irish WISP on install costs. 381 vs 259

poe (power over ethernet) is required on cable distances greater than ~10m. Like my roof is about 20m up as I'm in an apartment block.

Hi Madsl
    You said you line in an aprtment block, do you know if the caretakers of the block will allow IBB to put up the antenna?
    I know it is case to case base, but i think it would be really hard to get permision for it in the IFSC.

Had this been Denmark the people who take care of the blocks
    would be knocking on doors offering Broadband as it is easier and cheaper if the whole block hooks up, not gonna happen here i am sure....SAD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Hi Madsl
    You said you line in an aprtment block, do you know if the caretakers of the block will allow IBB to put up the antenna?

Much of the reason behind this control freakery is to avoid a Jodrell Bank effect where all and sundry with LOS start plonking minidishes on the outside wall and balconies. Meanwhile those on north facing sides of the building get nuthin.

power over ethernet picks 2 unused pins out of 8 to power the receiver I think...the remaining 6 pins will give ya 10Mbit anyway ...100Mbit with some nics.

the "planners" in the corpo/council have a lot to do with the lack of provisioning opportunities, wanting nice clean apWARtment block lines in D(insert even number) when a slat sided shed on the roof could be used to house a lot of the clutter anyway. Ya could put a technological gazebo up there ffs

M

Excellent post Muck.

I will have a hard job of selling this to the residents association, they are mostly grey haired D4 matron types..when they hear Wireless, mindish, receiver...etc they just think SKY and NO..

...and they have a point...it is INSANE that we are in a situation where we have to consider wireless in the first place in a capital city. I agree with planners sentiment about technology clutter. Every street in the city centre has botched bits of dangling telephone and TV cable. Add in the SKY minidishes and now wireless mesh dishes it starts getting messy.

Nitrox's point is a good one: Maybe WISP and IBB should get a little bit more creative in their sales process. Why not approach Residents Assocs and hold information talks on wireless access. Perhaps selling to a group of residents will net 20-30 new customers at a time..single aerials and wireless user hardware could then be used to reduce clutter and objections on the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

I 've had brief discussions with the management company of my apartment complex (in ringsend) and they were not particularly keen to become involved. Has anyone else been sucessful in gaining the support of a Mgmt Co or resident association to provide net access?

Bogobot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by milltown
    Saruman,
    Whenever I drive from town home to (poor broadbandless) Lucan, I pass by Guinness's. A little while later I pass near Chapelizod. After another while I pass Palmerstown.
    This is the way it has always been.

Why would any service that reaches Palmerstown by-pass Chapelizod?

Actually just looked at the map and while it doesn't seem to approach Palmerstown I'd say you'd be in with a shout in "Chappo".
    I think you missread my post.. or i missposted (possible too).. hmm.. anyway i meant that I dont think Chapo was quiete in reach so Palmerstown which is about 1km away will not be in reach at all... Not as you seem to have thought that Palmerstown is before chapo. :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BogoBot
    I 've had brief discussions with the management company of my apartment complex (in ringsend) and they were not particularly keen to become involved. Has anyone else been sucessful in gaining the support of a Mgmt Co or resident association to provide net access?

Bogobot.

At least you have been able to get yours to speak, i dont think WYSE will get back to me at all.
    I have read the reasons why people here dont think the management companies will help people get broadband and since this is Ireland i think they are all true, but would make people think we are insane in just about any other country.
    Problem with Ireland (one of them) is that the people who actually has the power to make a difference has decided that Ireland can do without progress and in fact in 5 years when the rest of Europe has fully developed all their nice Technolegy Ireland will be the one laughing because who need all that when you can have a pint of Guinness at the Pub and dream about small green men with a pot of gold.....
    Serious, i dont mind living here, but Ireland better get its act together and start looking at the future or else i am sure History will repeat itself and Ireland will go back to something less than it was before EU lend a helping gold hand.!
    And when all that happens i am quite sure i wil be well gone and living somewhere a bit more developed, who knows, Estonia or Poland maybe
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

The management company is chosen by the building residents.
    There is an AGM every year and board members are chosen, the accounts are signed off and the management company is retained for another year (or fired if they're not doing their job !).

So - that's where you start. If you're a resident in an apartment building you have just as much right as the next person to determine what can and cannot happen. (if you're a tenant that's a different story).

If WYSE aren't getting back to you, try reminding them that the AGM is coming up and you expect to see some positive movement on the issue.

You can make this work in your favour if you can get others to co-operate. Your block vote could force out the board (usually the same 2 or 3 people every year BTW) and you'll notice that typically very few people turn up for these AGMs. With enough people you can force them to call an EGM.

Go for it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

yes, irish wisp. with their amazing ONE transmitter. pity. perhaps thats why they are so cheap. no expansion

Advertisement