Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Norton Ghost do this

Options
  • 05-03-2003 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

I have a 40Gb HD as my primary drive
    I have a 80Gb Hd as my secondary

I want to create a partition on my 80Gb so it will be 25Gb + 55Gb or so

I want to transfere all data from my Primary to a partition on my Secondary drive
    and then sell the 40Gb drive

I want an exact copy of this drive .. as I dont have backup's of all the data

can this be done using Ghost 2003??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

left to make its own mind up.

Ghost sees 40Gb on drive 1
    Sees nothin on drive 2
    Creates 80Gb on 2 as part of the Ghosting so your drive increases as a consequence. Normally this is sound.

Your plan 25gb + 55Gb is feasible as long as there is NOT MORE THAN 25Gb on the 40Gb drive at the moment.

1. Tell Ghost not to expand the partition but to reduce it (it will not reduce below the amount of data already there ISTR)

2. Then boot off this new drive and use the OS disk utilities to create a new 55Gb partition .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

well there is only about 10Gb of data on the 40Gb drive

so I hope everything will be hunky-dorey

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Yep... it will work fine.

Say you drives are as follows:

A. 40GB - current drive - the one your going to sell.
    B. 25GB partition (on second 80GB drive) - this is where you want
    the operating system (ie the image of A)
    C. 55GB partition (on the second 80GB drive)

Firstly create an image of the drive your going to sell onto patition C. Then format drive A and remove. The load ghost and put restore image located on drive C to drive B.

Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Brill dave ...

just one Q.. I take it I boot up from ghost as I'm removing drive A?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Hussey,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes you do boot up from ghost. You create a bootable floppy in ghost. This boots into Dos and then runs the ghost program - you then just resotre the image.

• Advertisement
Advertisement