Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed about an Accident

Options
  • 05-03-2003 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

My mate crashed his car the other night and the problem is he crashed into a taxi and the taxi driver said he was alright to my friend after it happend. Then another taxi driver drove up and was there, and then the Guards arrived and the second taxi driver said he was a WITNNESS even though he wasn't even there and said to the Guards that the fella (his mate) who crashed felt sick.

My mate says it was kinda 50/50 both there faults. There were no other witnness to what happend.

Has anyone got any advice I can give to my friend?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Your friends got a problem here, with no independent witnesses it'll be his word against the taxi drivers (both).

Has your friend been adviced by the guards that a legal action is likely?

He should proberly get some legal representation pronto and I presume he has given a statement to the guards.

He could so worse than see if anyone has any stories regarding the taxi drivers or the company they work for.
    That take some leg work though...

The ultimate issue here though will be the attitude of the insurance company
    they will almost certainly settle without going to court, as they cant be arsed to protect thier customers as a rule.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

That's defintly one for the guards. Get him to ask a (hopefully) friendly guard for advice, as they'll probably have encountered this sort of ****e before.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Basically, your friend is fucked if the taxi driver claims (which he most probably will).
    The insurance company will pay him off, and load your friend's insurance next renewal.
    The only way that your friend can obtain any sort of justice would be if he where hurt and was to sue the taxi driver, which may be a possibility if any blame could put onto the taxi driver.
    But, of course, that would only exacerbate circumstances (our compensation culture) which leads to such high insurance premiums.

Make sure your friend makes it very clear to the Gardaí that the other taxi driver was not a witness and is being untruthful if he says otherwise.

Advertisement