Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passast Any Opions

Options
  • 05-03-2003 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 99 VW Passat 1.9TDI.

Anybody have any experience of them ?

e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

An excellent car. I have an Audi A4 Tdi (`00) which has the same engine. Very very economical. A mate of mine has a `98 TDi passat and he loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

If you're by any means a fast driver, forget about a passat. You'll put it in a ditch in no time. But if the majority of your driving is on a motorway then it's the car to buy.

Excellent MPG. On a long trip you could expect 55mpg.

Funny thing is I've driven about 3 of these cars; all TD(red)i and I would have to say that no two were the same as regards performance. Turbo seems to behave differently in them after a few years.

But they handle like a boat.

V10 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

all TD(red)i and I would have to say that no two were the same as regards performance. Turbo seems to behave differently in them after a few years.
    ...even though they are all red I, depending on the year of manufacture they will have different bhp ie the pre facelift red I Passat had 110bhp. Late '02 I =100bhp and DI =130BHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Late '02 I =100bhp and DI =130BHP

Not quite - afaik, the red I has 115bhp, and the silver I has 100bhp. There is also a 150bhp version available in some models, but I'm not sure what way that's designated - I think it might be TDI though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I often wondered about VW turbodiesels and how to tell them apart. So what bhp does the prefacelift TD "silver I" have? Is it 90 bhp by any chance?

Don't even mention the SDI though (don't think it' s available in the Passat) I drove a Mk4 Golf with that engine once and it was the most god awful slowest piece of **** I've ever been in.

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

TDI-no, its slow, if you dont want to be left at the lights go for a 1.8T (petrol). Now that is a proper engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Not quite - afaik, the red I has 115bhp, and the silver I has 100bhp

nope theDI is deffo 130 (replaced the prefacelift 115). Can also be a 5 or 6 speed. Its a tad confusing!! there is a TDI for the Golf/Bora which is 150bhp. And yes the plain old TDI is a 90bhp unit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Chief---
    TDI-no, its slow, if you dont want to be left at the lights go for a 1.8T (petrol). Now that is a proper engine.

Yep I agree with you the VW 1.8T engine is the dog's dangley bits :). Ahhh 200BHP from a Ibiza and thats before I start adding to it :).

The Passat TDI are a great car both on preformance, build and looks. Have you thought about the A4/Octavia/Taledo TDI's? All the same car with different prices and option level's.

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I've had a VW 1.6 Passat for 5 years - never a bother with it. Great car.. so good in fact that I'm trading it in this week for another.....

This time I'm going to for the 1.8T :D

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Well, OK .

Silver TDI = 100bhp
    TD(red I) = 115bhp
    T(red DI) = 130bhp
    (red TDI) = 150bhp PD GT

Passat's....
    Pro's
    Comfortable
    Safe
    Lots of space
    A car that actually fits 5
    Diesels after 97 are good

Con's
    Sluggish
    130bhp upwards has a good 40-70 time
    Phobia of corners
    Bad braking
    1.8T's terrible fuel economy, I mean terrible (~27mpg)
    Undercarriage (ball joints, swing arms, elbows) are surprisingly weak
    Image - if you dont have a family or large black sunglasses

HTH,
    J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

the red letters varies from model to model.

on the new a4:
    silver I 100
    red I 130
    red DI 2.5L 150
    red TDI 2.5L 180

now, that last one, that's a serious car.

six speed quattro is available from 130 up.

the passat tops at 130 in ireland afaik (red DI) and can be got with the six speed quattro for 36k (the A4 with same mechanicals is 42) and the passat has a far higher specced interior.

the passat is a fine car though. not the sharpest handler though. brakes aren't shockingly strong either.

but even from the 90 performance ain't bad. drive it hard and it's lively enough, then when you want to cruise, still get 55+ mpg

that said the 130's are far superior in performance.

John

Advertisement