Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College abroad or college in Ireland?

• 05-03-2003 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

What you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ireland of course. Its cheap enough compared to other countrys (only counting England and USA, think its still free in Scotland)

Like which would you rather pay

670 a year, live at home or in a bed sit :)

20 grand a year, live in some place with george the smelly guy who plays with himself constantly and eat ****ty food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

scotland is still free and you get a grant to go there afaik
    (more than likely some terms and conditions like you have to be born on a leap year, weigh less than a feather, be a genius and have asexual parents that together earn less than 3e a year, the grant situation pisses me off)
    but thats what i heard anyhow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As far as I know, the situation in Scotland is that they're using some of that loverly oil money (or else they're pretty organised about tax receipts) to provide Scottish students with free fees. Given that we're all members of the EU, we Irish are also fully entitled to free fees if you study there. Same thing if you're German, French... all of the EU. Except the rest of the UK - if you're an English student you pay fees (probably to stop the English just applying to Scottish unis, it being so convenient and all that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SlimShady

Im in NCI and i dont like it...its not just the college, its just the way things are over here...id like a change and am thinking about going abroad to England or wales or scotland to get my degree.

u think im as nuts as my parents think???

Let me know...or advise me...i need it, is it really free fees in scotland?

Well from what I've seen you just don't like the social life in NCI. If you go abroad don't expect it to get much better. You gotta sort rent and all that stuff out which costs money, so unless your spoilt rotten you won't get too much of a life.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Come over to UCD if you hate NCI so much. No need to leave ireland, unless you really want to. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

points my indian friend!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Going away to college sounds deadly!
    Would love to do it ,ur young in a new country on your own you can do what you like when you like,meet new people experience new things,
    But the whole financial aspect comes into it too,If you can do the course you want and happily live at home I would say ur absolutely mad!if you live outside of Dublin and the course is in Dublin well run away now cause its going to be as expensive living in Dublin as living in scotland,and prob cheaper to fly home with ryanair then to get a train!
    work out what course you want to do find out where does it,contact ucas find our ur options then decide:)

ye thats true man...i was just over in whales at my mates uni over there and he loves it big time...and when i went over i could see why...does what he wants to do when he wants to do it...so many people there, mainly irish, loads of foreigners and there hot too!!! The birds are better than u get over here in a uni since they come from everywhere and theres 8000-10,000 people in the college...huge and packed...loads of action...wat a place...im considering goin there but im a yr into my course...such a tricky decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You want to go to college in "Whales" for the "action"? Good luck to you champ, you'll go FAR! :-D

• Advertisement

wales sorry...i always spell it like that usually...i was just dreaming about your mom for a second...hey she really is one hell of a whale...but at least she will make history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

As I said, you'll go far!

and you wont...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

LoL!

BURN!!!!!

Got a chuckle out of me :)

Just curious but did you bother do run in the elections or anything ?

Have you contacted these clubs yourself ? If you ask in the student union they will point you in the right direction. Why do you need someone else to organize your fun ? Can you and your mates not fall into the excise next door and move into town later ?

Granted there isnt a huge amount to do if you make no effort what so ever but things could be worse, in GCD they canceled rag week because no one did anything.

Going to Wales just to get a life isnt exactly the right choice of action, its also gonna cost a fair amount of cash on rent and what not

**** dude im giving the wrong impression...

No i do have fun here and i do go out with my mates etc...but thats twice maybe three times a week...ya know? theres loads of other free time too especially during the week when i go in for a few hours and everyone jus splits(which is understandable) but its so boring!!!

Just not as much fun as some friends of mine are having over in wales where they have somthing to do all the time...mind you it does get a bit annoying because there is always something to do but its great fun!

I suppose i really just want to live life to the fullest, see places i have never seen and do loads of other things i want to do....which is obviously not possible during college.

Also, most of the people in my course are not my type of people...but i suppose that comes with a computer science course really.

and no i never ran for any elections or anything because i have no interest in that...the student union are too into college if you ask me, strikes etc dont appeal to me...

Look at it this way , if there was something to do in college do you think anyone would goto Elaine Maher's classes ? :D

Maybe setting up a club or soc would do. That drinking one didnt do anything at all!

I know what you mean about the place getting boring! I guess thats what happens when they stick a college in a financial center :(

ye man i agree with you but isnt that wat college is about? helping you develop further? Chances are people wouldnt go to her class if that sort of stuff was setup but then again that doesnt depict the real world where we CHOOSE to do what we want...u know what i mean? but ye point taken to an extent, i agree with you.

oh well, its jus damn hard to keep the determination high when it gets sooo boring!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by SlimShady
    [B
    I suppose i really just want to live life to the fullest, see places i have never seen and do loads of other things i want to do....[/B]

Drink pepsi max!!!!!!!!!

seriously i doubt if your friends lives over in wales are as good as it sounds, that whole faraway fields are greener and shiit, unless ofcourse they are a group of do gooders that alawys end up in the wrong place at the wrong time and have to go on mistical adventures and battle evil overlords.....otherwise it might just sound like what you want to do but not really be all that great.....i know a few people who went to college abroad and found it quite lonely even though there was a few of them there...you wouldnt have thought it from the stories they had as it always sounded that they were on top form......

So does anyone else know of any other countries where its cheap / free for us to goto college ? Or any sort of scheme where its cheap

• Advertisement
Advertisement