Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hot is too hot?

Options
  • 05-03-2003 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Just wondering, what is the upper limit for CPU temperature if I want my machine to last more than a few weeks? I recently built a P4 2.66 system (with stock cooling), and immediately set about OC'ing it. I got it up to 2.94GHZ and it is rock solid stable. Problem is, the CPU is peaking at around 55C under load, system 30C. At idle, CPU is running at around 40C, system 25C. Should I be worried about these temps, bearing in mind that it is not affecting stability whatsoever. I left the machine running SETI, ripping MP3's and rendering a 3D animation overnight, came back to it in the morning, and SETI was still runnning away merrily. I have also played UT2K3 for hours upon hours without a problem, and run all of the SiSoft Sandra benchmarks without a hitch.
    I know I should go and get some decent cooling, but unless my chip is going to die within a few months at these temperatures, I don't see the point in spending the money while my system is stable.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

the machine i'm on is at 54C

I don't think ur pc is going to be cooked any soon but it helps get more cooling for the cpu and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Those temps are fine you could run into the 60's without any problems for your cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

mine is a p4 1.6 running @ 68 degrees C .......how bad is that ? where and what and how much for a better fan..which btw pc world already told me they sold me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

water cooling with nice big case fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

theyre pretty high temperatures for pentiums.....ive got an athlon xp 1700+ palomino core in a micro tower and its only 48 degrees after a few hours of generals

you should really look for a better cooler if youre above 60, the odd time big passive coolers can be better than fans, have a look on www.overclockers.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

At idle, CPU is running at around 40C, system 25C

nothing wrong with them temps.

What you using?i.e. cooler,case, fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    theyre pretty high temperatures for pentiums.....ive got an athlon xp 1700+ palomino core in a micro tower and its only 48 degrees after a few hours of generals

you should really look for a better cooler if youre above 60, the odd time big passive coolers can be better than fans, have a look on www.overclockers.co.uk

The P4 reports "on die" temps, that older Athlon reports mobo mounted temps. Your Athlon Core is no doubt much higher and bear in mind that your CPU has a clock speed over a 1000MHz slower.

In fact, your temps are kinda high, not his.

Matt

Originally posted by jonski
    mine is a p4 1.6 running @ 68 degrees C .......how bad is that ? where and what and how much for a better fan..which btw pc world already told me they sold me.

ok lala here was looking at cpu kernel temp and aparently its supposed to run between 68/71 C , my sys temp is 27 at start up and 31 after a few hours gam'in ,

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

where do u find out ur cpu's temp

just curious thats all?
    somewhere in contral panel or system extensions

Originally posted by jank
    where do u find out ur cpu's temp

just curious thats all?
    somewhere in contral panel or system extensions

Well you can get programmes like hardware monitors or just get the temp from the bios , not sure if every bios gives it but all the ones i have seen do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Manaris

Cheers guys. I gather from most of your posts that I have nothing too urgent to worry about! I probably will get a decent heatsink/fan in the next few weeks, but at least I can relax a bit about my pc dying before that :)
    Originally posted by timeout
    What you using?i.e. cooler,case, fans.
    Chieftec Dragon tower, EKL case fans on side panel, front, and back of case. Stock Intel cooling on the cpu (i.e. the heatsink/fan that was in the box with the cpu)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

your temps are fine Manaris
    jonski, if yours is running at 68*C, I'd do something about that.
    very hot. Am running an Athlon XP 2100+ here, and the old heatsink I had my temps used to idle just under 60*C and the PC would pretty much crash when I done some serious processing.

I bought the Volcano 9 heatsink from marx the other week and it's down at about 46*C now.

Advertisement