Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats wrong with my asp?

Options
  • 06-03-2003 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

long story short - I made up a few asp files complete with ms access database for a property listings website Im working on. They all worked grand on a local webserver running IIS but finally when I put them onto the internet its all grinded to a frightening halt. Sadly I'm more or less new to all this asp stuff so I'd appreciate if any kind soul would take a look over the sample of my dodgy code I'm supplying with this post and if needed take a gander and the smoking hole in the ground which is the beginnings of the website.

the address is http://ryan789.u35.hosting365.ie

Thanks for the help

(last effort before I do something drastic like actually PAY for a script)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

The problem is probably with the DSN. How have you the connection.inc set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

well at first I tried setting up the database in ODBC on my server but that failed to yield any results so I tried the connectionless DSN I saw in another script.

What I did with the connection.inc file is basically change the details to suit my website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HappyDude

hi there -

This error can mean a numebr of things - the main one being that the path to the database is incorrect.

I looked at your text file - which calls 'connection.inc' this refers to the access database - but it does not see,m to be located where you referenced it. Check that all of the files are uploaded to the server. If you are confident that the database is in the right place - you may have to use the physical path to the database and not a virtual path.

Alternately, The error is also quite common if the permissions on the server are incorrect. If you think this may be the case - try uploading your entire site to a different free asp hosting provider.

let me know how you go.

Happydude

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

HappyDude is correct, a relative path will not work for a DSN-less connection (well, it never worked for me), you could try

Ocnn.ConnectionString = Server.MapPath("test.mdb")

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

' ASP program that displays a database in table form
    strconn = "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("test.mdb")

set conntemp=server.createobject("adodb.connection")
    conntemp.open strconn
    set rstemp=conntemp.execute(SQL)

maybe this will help ya?

I created an esate agents website for my project this year and got 100%, I want to be a web developer/designer but I don't know any courses that I could do to qualify me as one.

I'm in It Carlow studying networking at the moment. 2nd year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

It would be a good idea to rename your connection.inc file to connection.asp. If I type in:

http://ryan789.u35.hosting365.ie/connection.inc

I get your connection string details but if that where:

http://ryan789.u35.hosting365.ie/connection.asp

it would not display it.

If I see your connection details then I can download your database and maybe get some passwords, etc. It is a small security issue that is easily fixed.

Still having problems with your pages?? There was only the hsphere holding page located at

http://ryan789.u35.hosting365.ie/

so I can not see any error messages. Maybe upload your problem file again if you are still having problems, and I will have a look.

Regards,

David Behan
    Clicks Design

Advertisement