Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough RAM ?

Options
  • 06-03-2003 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I am running win XP and having installed this piece of software before namely Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0 , this time when i install the software and try to run it i get the error '...not enough RAM to run Photodeluxe 2.0'

Now i have 768DDR Ram installed and running any other program is not a problem , so what IS the problem that it won't run ?

Is there a program to check the amount of ram being used ?
    I know there are progs that can free more ram but i suspect the amount of ram is not the problem.

Any ideas anyone ?

The reason i still use this archaic program is because i have an adobe template which i can use and photodeluxe 2.0 has a handy multiple prints feature which can print multiple copies of the same picture in the same specified size on A3 paper .
    ....and no i am not forging euro notes :mad: :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i ain't never used XP so i'm open to correction on this... but in Win2k hit control+alt+delete and open the task manager. it shows all the current processes and how much RAM they using. i assume XP isn't any different. its worth a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Sounds like the application has bug. Why don't you email the makers and see if there are any patches for it. Theres other application that can do this. Thumbs Plus is one thats springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Try increasing your disk cache size.

I had a language program that needed my disk cache to be at least 300mb to work. No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have that program aswell. Photodeluxe is designed for windows 95 so go to compatiblity mode and fiddle with it there maybe that might solve the problem or if that doesnt work go to preferences and enable the scratch disks in photodeluxe. I check my setting at home this evening and i'll get back to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

These apps use a lot of space on a scratch disk as virtual memory. For example if the picture you have have open is 5mb in size. Then the app will use 3x5=15mb of memory for working on the is picture. If you have to of them open then it will use 30mb etc. So it really eats the ram. So avoid running out of ram they use the scratch disk as virtual ram. Some applications need as much virtual ram as they do real ram. Though if the application is an 95 on then it might be time to move on to something a little newer as the app must be 6-7 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ya I checked my setup. The sratch disks are enabled Primary is startup and secondary is 75% of available hard disk space. I have 512Mb RDRAM but for some reason I have them enabled maybe I got the same problem as you but I can't remember.

Compatiblity Mode is not running for the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Thanx for replies guys , sorry for late reply been away all weekend . The thing is i remember a while back that i think i had this problem at one stage but i think i uninstalled/re-installed the program and somehow it worked and that was using XP as well.

The scratch disk theory surely would hold true for all photo editing software then but as i said i also have Photoshop Elements and that has no problem opening up.

I'm still holding out on the theory that it is a faulty installation file as it has been pulled from a cd and onto the hard drive , so with this in mind i have acquired an original copy through ebay for a tenner so hopefully this will sort it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe you have too much RAM....and the value wraps around 'cos the programmers have never heard of Moores law or buffer size problems...

Advertisement